Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Hornby didn't make them available on their own website, which they have been prone to do with initial shipments.

Thats another thing confusing us here! If this is true that some are in the country it is the first time they have not updated their own website to say so first - although as they charge RRP this never affects us.

Edited by Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

There is an image of the l/c version on Jane's Trains website as being new in stock.In fact they advertise both e/c and l/c versions.
This does not appear as a mistake to my eyes at least. Let's just accept that seemingly impossible events do sometimes occur..... :scratchhead:

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Yes, this is most unsual, given Hornby's insitance that they haven't sent any L/C versions out. But if they have them they have them, not that it is an issue, as long as we get ours at the end of the month thats all that matters..... :sungum:

Picked my BR Early one up on Wednesday. Had a quick a look at it, and I think I can safely say it is one of the most beautiful looking Hornby Models I have ever seen! :locomotive: Really is a work of art! Sadly I've been a bit busy of late, but hope to do a full review hopefully sometime next week. :)  Sorry it will be a bit late.

Edited by SDJR7F88
  • Like 4

Pics taken just now!

It's real! Just call Janes!

Luke

, , , ,

Thankyou Luke, looks like a nice model.  The burning question is whether to buy one or save money and buy the SR version, or go mad and buy both... at the expense of course of the new King....   :)

I might have bought the l/c version from Janes but the phone and payment and delivery to NZ might or might not have been time-consuming, and laziness being my default position I thought I would just wait.

Thanks again. 

Fair enough it looks very nice :-) however for those of you who have one on order with anyone that isn't Janes, don't panic Hornby have said they will be despatched by the end of the month!

Slightly off topic, but I don't see any mention on your website of;

i) Non-VAT for appropriate, in my case US-based, customers

ii) Indications of shipping used and approximate costs for overseas shipping.

Thanks in advance...

• RMweb Gold

Anybody got one from Hattons? I have an e/c on order but haven't received it yet. Better give them a ring I suppose.

Edit... Looks like they've taken the money from my account.

Excited.

Edited by PhilH

• RMweb Gold
PhilH, on 16 Oct 2015 - 22:51, said:

Anybody got one from Hattons? I have an e/c on order but haven't received it yet. Better give them a ring I suppose.

I got an email today saying they now have them in stock.

• RMweb Premium

After those rushed photos I've taken a few in more realistic settings.

Luke

I need to get on and finish the missing building...

They look good mate. However I'd suggest, if you are able to, you upgrade to a better camera. Those images are not the sharpest. The details on your layout would really stand out with a better camera :-)

They look good mate. However I'd suggest, if you are able to, you upgrade to a better camera. Those images are not the sharpest. The details on your layout would really stand out with a better camera :-)

I had a better camera, then one day I realised I didn't. :( Slipped out of jacket pocket on the tube. I was only when I went to go and get it I realised it wasn't there.

Intending to save up, but then I bought the S15 instead!

This is the previous one c2007 and the autofocus is less controllable. Sometime I get a great image, somethimes not. Which is frustrating! The lack of light didn't help. I'll see what else I can shoot tomorrow afternoon when the light should be better.

Thanks for your kind words.

Luke

• RMweb Premium

I had a better camera, then one day I realised I didn't. :( Slipped out of jacket pocket on the tube. I was only when I went to go and get it I realised it wasn't there.

This is the previous one c2007 and the autofocus is less controllable. Sometime I get a great image, somethimes not. Which is frustrating! The lack of light didn't help. I'll see what else I can shoot tomorrow afternoon when the light should be better.

Luke

I feel your pain. I've had exactly the same thing happen to me.

• RMweb Gold

Luke

If those were taken on a camera that will fit in your pocket, they aren't half-bad.

I use a DSLR and sometimes have to switch it to manual focus because I just can't get the autofocus to lock on to the bit I want it to! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, but I don't see any mention on your website of;

i) Non-VAT for appropriate, in my case US-based, customers

ii) Indications of shipping used and approximate costs for overseas shipping.

Thanks in advance...

Hi Ian, can you PM me your email address and I'll get back to you via email? Don't want to take this thread off topic see! Thanks.

Also Luke, liking the photo's, especially the grey scale one :-)

Edited by Derails Models

The new S15 compared with my converted S15 (former 70s N15 and Bachmann tender - not completed as I originally intended to fit duchess cylinders), and two modern N15s.

Overall I consider the new S15 as good as the modern N15s (though DCC sound fitting is easier on the S15).

post-15098-0-61443200-1445071874_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-98296800-1445071900_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-39068300-1445071916_thumb.jpg

post-15098-0-15547900-1445071941_thumb.jpg

I suppose we should start a preservation society for displaced Hornby conversions as the new issue replace them, that is if they actually pull anything.  My S15 will soldier on a little longer but the writing is on the wall.   Hornby King Arthur body with cut down smoke deflectors and shortened front footplate on Hornby Dublo R1 chassis with 22mm Romfords and Hornby Dublo Duchess cylinders with part H/D, part Triang, part home made valve gear.  Cut down Bachmann LN high side tender body with Airfix Schools class tender underframes glued to Lima H0 gauge bogies.   Shown before BR totems and weathering.

It never did get a front number plate and was always too light at the back, needed the tender weight to bear down on the rear drivers.  It's survival depends on a) funds for replacement, and   B) If the new Hornby can lift 15 Hornby Dublo wagons up our 1 in 36 gradient and 19 up our 1 in 60...

post-21665-0-99851500-1445075182.jpg

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's arrived...if it runs as well as it looks then I will be one happy bunny. Banana trains from Southampton Docks WILL be run....

Us that have a Southern bent have been mightily spoilt with, IMO, three superb models in the 700, 02 and the S15.

Thanks to all concerned.

• Like 3

It's arrived...if it runs as well as it looks then I will be one happy bunny. Banana trains from Southampton Docks WILL be run....

Us that have a Southern bent have been mightily spoilt with, IMO, three superb models in the 700, 02 and the S15.

Thanks to all concerned.

Us? Where are the Us and the U1s? :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to all concerned.

Not to mention (less recently) the Beattie Well tank from Kernow and numerous other Hornby locos. We'd have had a pretty thin time of it if we'd waited for the Blue team to come up with anything for the South Western section.

Apart from the N and LN, the only suitable locos they've produced in their entire existence are BR Standards and the LMR Ivatt tank.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling