Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

It's arrived...if it runs as well as it looks then I will be one happy bunny. Banana trains from Southampton Docks WILL be run....

Us that have a Southern bent have been mightily spoilt with, IMO, three superb models in the 700, 02 and the S15.

Thanks to all concerned.

I can confirm the superb-ness of one 700 and one O2. I have chosen to hold back on the A-class Goods for the time being, as I hope to see livery variations for the 0415 and O2 , not to mention the Wainwright C and O2 and further 700s, and operating space on the new layout is already at a premium. I am now conducting a feasibility study for a multi-storey fiddle-yard.

PB

• RMweb Gold

One other thing that, again IMO, is evolving is the packaging of the newer models. Although obviously different manufacturers have different ideas they seem to be really thinking about it now resulting in attractive yet practical and secure solutions.

• RMweb Gold

I can confirm the superb-ness of one 700 and one O2. I have chosen to hold back on the A-class Goods for the time being, as I hope to see livery variations for the 0415 and O2 , not to mention the Wainwright C and O2 and further 700s, and operating space on the new layout is already at a premium. I am now conducting a feasibility study for a multi-storey fiddle-yard.

PB

I can also confirm the superb-ness of a brace of 700s, my first O2 (30182) will presumably be en route from t'other side of the Tamar as soon as my pre-order hits the top of the list and I'll be picking up my first S15 locally on Tuesday (probably along with certain NPCS vans in blue boxes). Looking like an expensive couple of weeks..........

The C is "wide of scheme" for me, though I would have purchased one to use as a surrogate Black Motor had the real thing not become available.

Who says you must have all your locos on the layout all the time? If I thought that way, I'd need a much bigger house. :O

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

I can also confirm the superb-ness of a brace of 700s, my first O2 (30182) will presumably be en route from t'other side of the Tamar as soon as my pre-order hits the top of the list and I'll be picking up my first S15 locally on Tuesday (probably along with certain NPCS vans in blue boxes). Looking like an expensive couple of weeks..........

The C is "wide of scheme" for me, though I would have purchased one to use as a surrogate Black Motor had the real thing not become available.

Who says you must have all your locos on the layout all the time? If I thought that way, I'd need a much bigger house. :O

John

Hello John, it seems we have similar reasoning with regard to the Bachmann Wainwright. I thought it to be particularly good value, worth a TCS EU621 decoder. But it is not only locos that need to be accessible. I like to operate a train service, even though I am set length limited. The new 58ft Maunsell rebuilds appeal to me, not to mention the gatestock PP pairs. Add an existing set from the toy cupboard,

post-489-0-11986400-1445100137.jpg

post-489-0-37490700-1445100560.jpg

post-489-0-03542400-1445100365.jpg

• Like 14

It's arrived...if it runs as well as it looks then I will be one happy bunny. Banana trains from Southampton Docks WILL be run....

Us that have a Southern bent have been mightily spoilt with, IMO, three superb models in the 700, 02 and the S15.

Thanks to all concerned.

Indeed I will have a hard time choosing model of the year especially with radials coming out ( don,t forget the E4 too).

• RMweb Gold

Indeed I will have a hard time choosing model of the year especially with radials coming out ( don,t forget the E4 too).

The S15 is way better than the E4.

It has the looks and detail to rival Hornby's previous bests (Britannia, Rebuilt WC and King Arthurs) along with possibly the best mechanism yet seen in a r-t-r UK steam-outline loco.

It's going to be a very hard act to follow and the Radial will have to be really something to get anywhere near it IMHO. 

John

Bravo Hornby.

post-7929-0-48424400-1445372261_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-44333600-1445372976_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-56789500-1445373001_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-89941000-1445373062_thumb.jpg

Superb workmanship, the plastic, like the Crosti has a marvelous texture and satin nature, I had been a bit diffident about buying the S15 models but am sold on this one, and £113 delivered in five days to NZ by a box-shifter I am very pleased.

Photos straight out of the box, Canon EOS-M with adaptor and EF 50mm macro lens, little editing just cropping and sharpening. 

Actually the colour is very close to many illustrated in the Irwell book of the H15 and S15 4-6-0s, including the modeled 30843, though I have no doubt toboldlygo has wicked intentions with his weathering alchemy. 

edit; 

the other side..

post-7929-0-68729000-1445377537_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-93498500-1445377133_thumb.jpg

last pic is two grafted together for focus

cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone fitted the front steps yet ? How much sideways bogie movement is there with them fitted ?

Probably about as much as there was with the N15. Mine used to struggle with anything less than 4th radius.

• RMweb Gold

Actually the colour is very close to many illustrated in the Irwell book of the H15 and S15 4-6-0s, including the modeled 30843, though I have no doubt toboldlygo has wicked intentions with his weathering alchemy. 

That's a first being called an Alchemist....

Hear it is! 

A review of a very much anticipated from Hornby and one that has been at the top of Model Locomotive Wishlists for a number of years. The all new Hornby R3328 Maunsell S15 Class, in smart BR Early Black livery.
Originally designed by Robert Urie, the S15 looked very similar to his N15 Class. This was due to a number of parts, such as the boiler, cylinder, valve gear and tender designs, being to the same speciation to that of the N15. Richard Maunsell later improved the design and by 1936 a total 45 locomotives had be built.
All though originally design for heavy freight work the S15 proved to be an adaptable class, handling passenger service with ease during peak holiday periods. The first withdrawals in 1962 and the last being in 1966. Seven S15 have entered preservation. 
Hornby really have done an outstanding job with the S15! Personally I feel that it is one of Hornby's best models to date! Feature a highly level of detail including sprung buffers, fine pipe work, glazing, plus the finest under frame detail I have ever seen on a RTR model, and more! Performs straight from the box amazing, with the Slowest, Smooth pull-away I have ever seen! This model really is a must for any Southern Region Modeller!
10/10+ for Hornby!
Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkN_XqrGb1Q

post-20663-0-39035100-1445440704_thumb.gif

• Like 3

That's a first being called an Alchemist....

I am rather free with language sometimes!  It is nevertheless a bit of a dark art, reproducing the real 'look' of working steam locomotives, and I very much admire anyone who can do it well. My experience of growing up around 50s and 60s steam means I tend the opinion that if it looks right it probably is right, and reality was often highly unrealistic and would never be accepted on a model. 

Each to their own.

For what its worth Rail have R3329 late crest at £113,  but if you are buying from overseas do not expect a simple transaction, as although their website is now able to deduct VAT it/they cannot/will not charge postage, meaning delays, and your order disappears into the ether at times,  some staff being apparently unable to send a PayPal invoice even when they have calculated the total price including postage.

I am impatient!  Better go and do some pictures and annoy somebody else.

• RMweb Gold

Still waiting for announcement of a SOUTHERN on Sunshine version with snifters.....Not that they would have made it down the North Cornwall to Padstow.

Only allowed as far as Meldon Quarry, itself a privilege not exercised all that regularly if photographic evidence is to be believed.

Favoured motive power on ballast trains west of Exeter generally appears to have been N Class moguls. 

John

• RMweb Gold

Probably about as much as there was with the N15. Mine used to struggle with anything less than 4th radius.

If you have tight curves, you may also experience a bit of "interaction" involving the rear tender bogie. This model sits prototypically low and clearances are tight.  

I have conducted a little judicious filing on mine to ensure the bogie can swivel freely without hitting either the rear steps or the bottom edge of the body. Only Maunsell tenders have rear steps so this shouldn't be an issue with the late crest version, which has a Urie tender. 

Other than that, the only thing I can pick fault with is the "Bachmann-ish" low slung NEM pockets.  

A stunningly good model in every other respect

John

• Like 1

Only allowed as far as Meldon Quarry, itself a privilege not exercised all that regularly if photographic evidence is to be believed.

Favoured motive power on ballast trains west of Exeter generally appears to have been N Class moguls. 

John

I was aware of the Meldon restriction, just trying to rationalize one for the SR 1947 Summer-Fall collection at my semi mythical Padstow. Why would the Southern waste good miles on a heavier goods locomotive where it was not needed when an N would be all that was needed.

• Like 1

Still waiting for announcement of a SOUTHERN on Sunshine version with snifters.....Not that they would have made it down the North Cornwall to Padstow.

True, which is one of the reasons I located my layout East of Exeter. But until Hornby or someone can produce an S11 of equivalent quality, Rule 1 will continue to serve me well. PB