Hornby announce Maunsell S15

Andy Y

A tip of dulling down bright pipes. Use acrylic paint diluted in water with a minor touch of Fairy Liquid and capillary action should draw the mix around the back of the pipe and pipework in awkward places.

A good tip 'coach', 40+ years in the hobby, and still learning, I hadn't thought of that one - thanks, so I withdraw my comment in post # 236 :sungum: .

• RMweb Gold

I wonder what happened to the flared top tender it had originally?

Did any of the preserved ones have one?

Keith

Many locos came out of Woodham's yard with different tenders to those with which they arrived and further purchases/swaps have, no doubt, occurred since!

This particular loco seems to have been shared around various interested parties when it came out of Barry. According to Mr Swift's book, the boiler went to the Mid-Hants for No.506 in 1981 and the frames/wheels to Shipyard Services, Essex in 1986, from whence it was presumably resurrected. Neither transaction appears to have involved a tender.

30825's original tender (3222) was exchanged with that from 30826 (3223) at Eastleigh in 1963. The latter loco was then cut on site, presumably along with tender 3222. 

825 as preserved must therefore be something of a Bitza and may not include very much of the loco that BR owned. The boiler, tender, and possibly more came from 841 which effectively no longer exists. No doubt someone can provide a fuller explanation but 825's most recent restoration looks like a case of making one good loco up out of two.

John

I wonder what happened to the flared top tender it had originally?

Did any of the preserved ones have one?

Keith

I believe the 3 S15's based at the Mid Hants Railway, are paired with flared top tenders or varying patterns.

Urie S15 30499 - Under Resteration - 5,000 Gallons

Urie S15 30506 - Under Overhaul - 5,000 Gallons

Maunsell S15 30828 - Under Overhaul - 4,840 Gallons

Regards,

Matt

From Peter Cooper's book on the Maunsell S15s, there is only one flush-sided 8 wheel tender left, which came from Barry with 841, and is now behind 825. The 6 wheel tender that was with 847 in Barry was sold separately to go with a mogul.

I bought the Hornby model of 30843 today. It's a lovely model, which will look even better when I get around to weathering it. However, I do wonder whether, if it had been painted green, I would have been able to tell it apart from a King Arthur. (It was the same when I saw Tornado and Blue Peter together at Barrow Hill.)

• Like 1

I had a good look at 30843 in Monk Bar Models (York) today, and have to admit, it's a lovely model! I was very close to taking one home for conversion onto 841, but the moulded smokebox number plate would be a heck of a challenge to get rid of while retaining the distinctive conical shape of the prototype.

Hopefully a future release will be a suitable doner (or ready done version!)

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

I had a good look at 30843 in Monk Bar Models (York) today, and have to admit, it's a lovely model! I was very close to taking one home for conversion onto 841, but the moulded smokebox number plate would be a heck of a challenge to get rid of while retaining the distinctive conical shape of the prototype.

Hopefully a future release will be a suitable doner (or ready done version!)

Cheers

J

The smoke box door comes off quite easily, you could always use the smoke box door off a Schools or King Arthur (with a bit of tweaking). If you can find a spare body relatively cheaply on ebay..

• RMweb Premium

The S15 is one of the real highlights of the current new release pipeline for me, fantastic news they are out in the shops and even better that it looks like Hornby have done a good job. Can't wait to receive mine.

• RMweb Gold

Picked up the early BR version at Alton yesterday afternoon, soon after they been delivered. Paul tested it - he always does this as a matter of course before a loco leaves the shop - and it ran sweetly straight from the box. IMHI it's a really beautiful model and Hornby deserve great credit for producing such a masterpiece. I only ever saw them in their 'weathered state' but I will have to summon up significant levels of bravery before attacking mine with the airbrush, it really is a most impressive model. Really looking forward to the Radial, the Merchant Navy and the ex-LSWR coaches now.

Godfrey

• Like 3

I only ever saw them in their 'weathered state' -

Godfrey

Likewise, but, like the W's, they only seemed to be in an all over grey, not degenerating into rust colour while they were working, it'll be interesting how modellers will interpret it.

I never saw a grey loco in steam day, well certainly not a straight grey. The overall weathering coat had a sandstone or rust tinge as might be expected considering a loco is basically a kettle of boiling water running on rusty steel rails. Other colours from various sources only stood out when close-up, otherwise they were 'feathered' into the overall scene. The only weathering with sharp edges was priming oil and washout plug leaks. A form of weathering impossible to replicate without making the model look like crap was paint on top of flaking paint. This occurred over many years and was particularly noticeable on smokebox doors due to them (and the smokebox) getting a regular coat of paint on shed when rust started after a burn-up.

Picked one up on Friday, it's a real gem!

Beautifully smooth, you get a feel for the flywheel effect by lifting the loco (with tender still on the rails) then running at moderate speed and changing direction. The torque on the loco in noticeable.

It runs well, however front steps preclude third radius curves. These are however a reasonable interference fit, so can be inserted for display, then removed for running on layouts with tighter bends/points.

Only minor flaw was the handrail wire which appears slightly over length to both sides of the boiler. This wouldn't slide in the end handrail knobs, thus sprang the middle knobs out of their holes. A touch of cyano to each solved this, although the handrail is now slightly in compression.

N

I never saw a grey loco in steam day, well certainly not a straight grey. The overall weathering coat had a sandstone or rust tinge as might be expected considering a loco is basically a kettle of boiling water running on rusty steel rails...

One of Norman Lockett's colour pictures has this to perfection on an S15 in direct sunlight. Overall the loco and tender are in a smoothly transitioning range of grey-brown tones. The brown element more in evidence below footplate where the brake and track dust concentrates, becoming greyer as height increases. The front bufferbeam just hints at the red under the filth, and there's a nice rusty patch somewhat filthed over on the tender side. Those last two are difficult effects to get right too.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but the fall plate is moveable - a first for a Hornby Steam loco.

They usually move to the "Fallen-off" position"

If the construction is much as Bachmann have been using since the G2A was introduced, then I would be more optimistic, as to date all the models with this feature that I own have proved robust in service (G2A, 3F, C, O4, J11, C1). The locos do go on track and stay there though, no in and out of boxes. 

Examination of the S15 underside in the pictures up thread shows the wipers on the loco drivers are arranged much in the style of Bach steam loco wiper pick up, short and neatly curved behind the wheel rim. First saw this on the K1. Much preferable to the inherited practise from Margate, the 'could we make it any longer?' style of pick up wiper. I think there has been some knowledge transfer with Bachmann's closure of the former Sanda Kan operations, and Hornby's taking up with several smaller businesses as manufacturing suppliers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If the construction is much as Bachmann have been using since the G2A was introduced, then I would be more optimistic, as to date all the models with this feature that I own have proved robust in service (G2A, 3F, C, O4, J11, C1). The locos do go on track and stay there though, no in and out of boxes. 

Examination of the S15 underside in the pictures up thread shows the wipers on the loco drivers are arranged much in the style of Bach steam loco wiper pick up, short and neatly curved behind the wheel rim. First saw this on the K1. Much preferable to the inherited practise from Margate, the 'could we make it any longer?' style of pick up wiper. I think there has been some knowledge transfer with Bachmann's closure of the former Sanda Kan operations, and Hornby's taking up with several smaller businesses as manufacturing suppliers.

It is assembled a bit like a one of those from the Blue Corner, the hinge mechanism on the fall plate is very similar.