Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Intrigued I grabbed a screenshot, sharpened it, increased contrast and gamma. It looks to a be a Pug with something I couldn't determine behind it. I doubt it heralds anything interesting.

At 0:32 what is that loco in the background? A highly modified 0F Pug?? :P

Perhaps Hornby are looking into using the Pug as a basis for a Y7?  Something a bit less Tobylike.....

Back to matters in hand, WHAT a pretty engine the J50 is!  Hornby are coming along nicely with this one.

• RMweb Premium

"WHAT a pretty engine the J50 is!"

Well, each to their own ....... and beauty is in the eye of the beholder! As fas as I am concerned, the J50 is one of the ugliest locomotives ever made! Entirely utilitarian, not a graceful line anywhere!

I cannot fathom how Gresley designed such graceful and elegant locomotives as the A3 and A4, and the likes of the O2, and yet also was responsible for the J50! For a lovely 0-6-0T, Hornby could have chosen the J69 to model - that really is a pretty engine!

John

Well, each to their own ....... and beauty is in the eye of the beholder! As fas as I am concerned, the J50 is one of the ugliest locomotives ever made! Entirely utilitarian, not a graceful line anywhere!

I cannot fathom how Gresley designed such graceful and elegant locomotives as the A3 and A4, and the likes of the O2, and yet also was responsible for the J50! For a lovely 0-6-0T, Hornby could have chosen the J69 to model - that really is a pretty engine!

John

Beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, personally like many others I like this particular loco, It's been a long time in coming considering the only other representation was a very poor Lima effort. A good choice on Hornby's part  I think which will sell very well !!!

Edited by Black 5 Bear

John

Beauty definitely in the eye of the beholder, but the J50 could be seen further afield across the LNER than the J69 and also fits in with the other Gresley designed engines Hornby have manufactured thus far. It was a brilliant choice and one I'd personally been emailing them about for years. Their next move is to make a J6 and suddenly they'll be selling to even greater numbers of the LNER modelling community.

Many people would call the A4 ugly too (I disagree with that view) but each to their own.

J50 uglier than the J69?  Which version of the J69?  Sure the two Liverpool Street pilots WERE pretty, but when you look at the pictures in the Yeadon guide there are some very poorly proportioned variants, some of which WERE downright ugly.

Gresley needed a more powerful loco than the J52 saddletanks.  The long tanks were a direct result of needing to run a while between cluttering up water cranes, and the downwards slope at the front was so the driver had a decent view ahead.  Similarly the hopper variants were to give the driver a decent view running bunker first- which the average shunting tank spent half of its running time doing- turntables were for more important engines.

Some J50s did get into the North Eastern Region, lasting longer than the Jinties transferred into the real North East.  The ones at Darlington didn't stay long, although powerful enough the shorter wheelbase of the J94 was more suitable for local work.

All the very best

Les

It looks a great model.

Note that the lower rear lamp irons look like part of the body moulding - the top lamp iron is a separate fitting. But what is the correct number of lamp irons - 4, 5 or 6!! 

Will the injector and pipe work be added under the footplate - some had them infront of the cab steps others under the bunker.

What a nightmare it is for model making company to get it right - take a look at the relevant Green book and Yeadons for the subtle variations. The cab roof profile varied between batches!!

It will be the best ready to run J50 on the market and I will be buying at least one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

These new Hornby models look excellent with lots of research gone into bunker styles, cab shape, buffers, fluted or plain rods etc..

Looking through the relevant Yeadon's Register Vol46 part B:

635 was obviously liked by Eastfield shed as it stayed there all of its life from 1926 to 1960. 

68971 roamed a bit more. After a year at Peterborough New England (34E) in 1961 it went to Doncaster in 1962 and then went back into the works as a works shunter No15. Prior to being at Peterborough it was at Hornsey (34B) from 1952 - just need to change the Hornby shed plate.

68987 was from October 1952 a Hornsey (34B) engine until it went to Doncaster in July 1961. The Hornby model carries the 34D shed plate - which is Hitchin. Unfortunately none were shedded at Hitchin.

Still a lovely model worth buying

Hornby did have a Plain J50, designed to the BR Late Crest spec, on display in a Cabinet at The Great Dorset Steam Fair last weekend:

post-20657-0-52014000-1441741002_thumb.jpg

Regards,
Matt

Edited by TheSoutherner

Thanks for that Southerner. Any other models you managed to get photos of?

You're welcome. Two as it happens; a Sickly Green Hall class, and an Adams Radial.

I will confess, I could see a King Class in the display cabinet...shoved at the back behind a Crosti 9F, where I couldn't get a photo...

Apologies about the poor light, but their stand was in a poorly lit tent.

Adams Radial:

post-20657-0-19538700-1441741844_thumb.jpg

Hall Class:

post-20657-0-27687900-1441741879_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Matt

There is a photo of a J50/4 at Victoria Station Eastern Side in Volume 2 of Noodle Books Modelling the Southern Vol 2. It is coupled to three wagons. The author does not know what working it was undertaking but it does confirm this variant did work south of the river. Must get my order in. 

Victoria Station was not a normal destination for cross London freight traffic. The GWR goods depot at South Lambeth was the nearest. 

There were several coal depots in South London that were owned by the Midland or LNWR but I am not sure there were any GNR or GER depots in this area.

• RMweb Premium

Victoria Station was not a normal destination for cross London freight traffic. The GWR goods depot at South Lambeth was the nearest. 

There were several coal depots in South London that were owned by the Midland or LNWR but I am not sure there were any GNR or GER depots in this area.

J50s ran regular turns to Feltham via Gospel Oak and to Hither Green via the Widened Lines. They also turned up at Norwood Junction having travelled via Kew, the West London Line or the Widened Lines. So quite a lot of possibilities south of the river.