Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'll make a start.  No doubt someone will add to this and/or correct any errors.

J50/2

- LH drive

- apart from the first one (3221), J50/2s had wider chimneys

J50/3

- Ross pop valves

- snifting valve exiting smokebox on left

- chunkier tank fillers

- RH drive

- slightly different cab profile to LNER standard loading gauge (doesn't leap out at you this one but you can see less metal above the front windows)

• RMweb Premium

Well, I'll make a start.  No doubt someone will add to this and/or correct any errors.

J50/2

- LH drive

- apart from the first one (3221), J50/2s had wider chimneys

J50/3

- Ross pop valves

- snifting valve exiting smokebox on left

- chunkier tank fillers

- RH drive

- slightly different cab profile to LNER standard loading gauge (doesn't leap out at you this one but you can see less metal above the front windows)

A great start!  Thanks.

J50s ran regular turns to Feltham via Gospel Oak and to Hither Green via the Widened Lines. They also turned up at Norwood Junction having travelled via Kew, the West London Line or the Widened Lines. So quite a lot of possibilities south of the river.

A very useful reference book for cross London workings via the Widened Lines is Geoff Goslin's Steam on the Widened Lines vol 1 The GN and MRailways (Connor and Butler). Vol 2 covers the GWR and Southern Companies.

The aforemention vol1 has the 1933 headcodes used on workings for LNER trains over the widened lines - destinations include:

Victoria

Ludgate Hill

Clapham Junction

Elephant & Castle

Battersea

Clapham Road

High Holborn

Brockley Lane

Hither Green

Bricklayers Arms

Cannon Street

Herne Hill

These "local" codes produce some interesting/confusing arrangements e.g. goods trains to Bricklayers Arms used what was the same for an express passenger train - a lamp above each buffer, Hither Green used 3 lamps across the bottom.

In 1946 there were just under 70 freight trains from Ferme Park going south of Farringdon to access the various depots in South London - ref London and its Railways, Davies and Grant, David and Charles. At the end of steam (1959) there were only 23 daily workings. Feltham in the south west was served via Farringdon and via Kew Bridge.

The Great Northern did own a goods and coal depot at Elephant and Castle and at Brockley Lane. Plenty of opportunities for London modellers of the BR Southern era to buy a J50.

• 3 weeks later...

Further to my post re the J50/4 at Victoria, I have had another look at the photo. The loco is coupled to a BR 20T Brake Van and 2 Blue Spot style Fish vans with the brake van between the loco and the vans. The loco is bunker first towards the concourse end of the eastern side of Victoria Station. 

Any ideas as to the working? Billingsgate traffic would have been transported by road from Kings+. 

• RMweb Premium

Further to my post re the J50/4 at Victoria, I have had another look at the photo. The loco is coupled to a BR 20T Brake Van and 2 Blue Spot style Fish vans with the brake van between the loco and the vans. The loco is bunker first towards the concourse end of the eastern side of Victoria Station. 

Any ideas as to the working? Billingsgate traffic would have been transported by road from Kings+. 

Fish traffic was moved around the Southern on Van trains so its likely those pictured had either arrived from Kings Cross to be attached to a Van train or empties doing the reverse. Similar occurred at Waterloo and London Bridge. The was a discussion on mainly South Western fish traffic recently on the SRLHCS Yahoo Group.

Graham

Probably delivering fish for Buckingham Palace seeing as it was the closest mainline station!!

The fish vans could be a red herring with these vans being left over after another part of the train has been shunted off elsewhere in Victoria station.

I will look out for references

Fish traffic was moved around the Southern on Van trains so its likely those pictured had either arrived from Kings Cross to be attached to a Van train or empties doing the reverse. Similar occurred at Waterloo and London Bridge. The was a discussion on mainly South Western fish traffic recently on the SRLHCS Yahoo Group.

Graham

Thanks for the link. I did not know the extent of the fish traffic on the Southern. Very interesting. I think that solves the mystery.

• RMweb Premium

Service sheets here- if it works as I think it should!

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/2/

John

Hmmm - not working as I expected, and I seem to be getting a service sheet this says J50 but also has Adams Radiall mixed in! This could be a more direct link but still part Adams Radial!

http://www.Hornby.com/media/partsandspares/schematics/1444694400/HSS419ClassJ50_1444746679.pdf

Edited by it's-er

• 1 month later...

Service sheets here- if it works as I think it should!

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/downloads/view/index/cat/2/

John

Hmmm - not working as I expected, and I seem to be getting a service sheet this says J50 but also has Adams Radiall mixed in! This could be a more direct link but still part Adams Radial!

http://www.Hornby.com/media/partsandspares/schematics/1444694400/HSS419ClassJ50_1444746679.pdf

A multi-purpose service sheet....   

Perhaps its a reversion to "Design Clever"?   :O