Hornby announce LNER J50

Andy Y

So why did they tell me this morning they were due in January? This is odd

It could be they've flown some samples from the production run in for the show. Their website still shows the early BR and LNER versions as late November releases with late BR on 8th December. 

• RMweb Gold

Those front windows look a bit big, and close to the top of the roof? Not sure if there were many variances in cab design but I'm basing it on the following picture

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/J50%20Class%20LNER.html

which I'm hoping to build at some point. Maybe as there's no representation of an opening mechanism and brass surrounding?

Photos of the prototype as opposed to the kit that you have linked to suggest that Hornby have got it right.

Those front windows look a bit big, and close to the top of the roof? Not sure if there were many variances in cab design but I'm basing it on the following picture

http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco%20Kit%20Pages/J50%20Class%20LNER.html

which I'm hoping to build at some point. Maybe as there's no representation of an opening mechanism and brass surrounding?

Never model other people's models - always check the real thing.

• RMweb Premium

Not being able to find a "top view" of a real J50, is the way the side tank/boiler cladding aft of the smoke box meld/blend together rather than being a straight line meeting a curved surface right ?

Surely the boiler cladding would be continued round ?????

Seems not - from what I can make out, in several photos, there were curved flush cover plates that spanned the tank / boiler interface.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Seems not - from what I can make out, in several photos, there were curved flush cover plates that spanned the tank / boiler interface...

There was considerable correspondence about these boiler to tank cover plates, probably about the early 70s in RM, and between several poor photos and the evidence of a chap who had worked on an erecting team at the Crimpsall, this was confirmed. Certainly every clear picture I have seen shows a very clean transition from the plane of the tank top. to the radius of the cladding/smokebox shell. It all seems rather bizarre, putting so much effort into largely out of sight finish, when the tanks would have to be regularly lifted off and replaced for routine firebox water space and stay inspections.

Not being able to find a "top view" of a real J50, is the way the side tank/boiler cladding aft of the smoke box meld/blend together rather than being a straight line meeting a curved surface right ?

The best photo which shows the cladding between the boiler and the tanks is on page 38 of Great Northern Engine sheds vol3. Griffiths and Hooper, Book Law/Railbus. The photo is Bradford Bowling Street (Hammerton Street) shed without the roof circa 1948. 

There are over 30 loco's on shed and all bar one/two appears to be either a J50 (12+), and N1 or a J6 - pure GNR heaven.

Cab roof profiles

These varied between the sub classes. To fit the Widened Lines (London) loading gauge the roof height was reduced making it look like the cab windows were closer to the roof line. The cab shape and large cab windows look right to me and are characteristic feature which Hornby have caught well. 

Valve chest covers

30 engines rebuilt from J51s to J50s retained a flush valve chest cover below the smokebox between the front sandboxes. The valve chests area on those built as J50 were recessed.

Looking forward to receiving the Hornby model.

• RMweb Gold

Post 508 of this thread has a photo of 68249 in which you can discern the meld from smokenbox to side tank. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69274-dave-f-more-photos-added-21-june-from-1947-to-1955ish/page-21 

• 3 weeks later...