Hello again, Matthew,

If you read my response to Tony  (one hell of a layout- follow his thread!) I have axes to grind. All I can say to you is that everything I offer as advice will be factual as far as I'm concerned, but I'm happy for others to chip in and put me right. You're very welcome with any questions on here. I'll point you in the right direction if I'm unsure myself.

The track-plan is crucial. I've been working off a scribbled version that is OK for me, but I still need to present a proper one, and my layout is very unusual in a few ways that might surprise people. By all means post yours here.(1) The law upon which prototype layouts are based is a difficult area for the newcomer. I learned by studying plans over the years, till I saw the common factors, and understood what must and must not be done. Browsing the C J Freezer plan books was useful to me. The Peco set-track plan books follow the rules and can provide a basis for a more advanced layout. Anyway, feel free to pop in with anything at all - and by all means photograph and put your plan up here - I'd be honoured. Someone will be able to help you.

Hal

1.     :O , Am still, finding that, but, I do it, how I see it.

Hal,

If what you can achieve meets your own expectations, whether that's handbuilt track or Peco Code 100, or scratch built locos or Bachmann's out of the box, then that's all you need to aim for.

Yes, the likes of Allan Downes, Iain C Robinson, Peter Leyland, Chris Tooth & Il Dettorri can make excellent buildings, probably far better than I ever will, but I know mine improve each time.

If your EMCL is as good as you can do, then so what if there are others which you consider are better?

As others have said, you've made a great start - just crack on with it at your own pace & skill level and we'll all watch & admire.

Stu

Thanks Stu,

It's good to know you are always in the background, reliable and supportive. :)

Kind regards,

Hal

So, where would you like to re-kindle interest, in your layout ?

can't be pushy,now  can we .

Something small, not too small, when your condition allow's.

Even a short vid. of shunting, or a blast around the track. not a feature length movie, just 30-60. secs.

I read on the Minsterly thread, your thought's, on modern image,   here is     a one local to you,    by Nigel Burkin.

But, would like you to continue, with your present layout.

Hi David,

Like Stu you're forever there. :)

I hope I didn't give the impression I'm fed up with my layout and the thread. On the contrary, I'm more enthused than ever, just a bit #issed off that I'm not going fast enough, but it can't be helped. No, I'm just a little unhappy with certain issues but that certainly won't effect me. 

I'll have a look at the link. If I do anything modern sometime in the future it would probably be plank like one of Mal's superb efforts.

Bad night. Just a bit tired. ;)

Hal

Hal,

Like you I am not sure I will post this reply as I have only been registered on the site 2 days and I feel a little uncomfortable getting into the details behind the forum hierarchy.

I subscribed to the magazine about a year ago to support my rekindled interest in British OO modelling having left a Lima class 55, 8 x 4 warped chipboard against the wall and an H&M Clipper behind in my teens to chase girls. Since last year I only occasionally poked my head into the forum but noticed there were many posts from people like you that were prepared to expose their processes and modelling adventures for the benefit of the greater community. I respect anyone that not only puts the time in but also exposes their work (and sometimes mistakes) to let others critique and also learn from. Thank you for being one of those people.

Please forgive me for saying this but I know there are layouts out there that are viewed as more prototypical, higher detailed and perceived as better than yours in other ways but that isn’t relevant to me. I have started reading some of their topics and I doubt I will ever post in them despite their inspirational pictures. You know I came here following the ECML search I was only able to do after registering but I chose to stay and read more because I can relate to what you are posting. You are also in the early days of the thread and I didn’t need to read for days to catch up. I can see a link between my layout planning and your work (not literally) and can map a path forward for myself; Right now I have my two removable boards out of the way as we have a guest “in my train room”  - aka “our guest bedroom” :O . This means I have a plan I am putting into action and had just made some progress with track laying before our guest arrived at Christmas. Therefore I am keen to get back to it before winter is over and my spare time is applied to tasks in the garden.

As I said previously I hope to take elements of your work and develop those into this first proper layout as a learning exercise. Having grown up in York close to the Dringhouses yards I wanted to model something I knew but with my 10 x 8 limitations right now I have decided to use this layout purely to develop skills primary and hopefully concepts for a later (dream?) layout. Your fantasy approach and warts and all commentary are what I believe I need to help me stumble through my return to modelling and I appreciate your replies and candid comments on where you see yourself in a hierarchy that doesn’t matter to me.

Thanks again and keep up the posting.

Matthew

Hal,

A question I forgot to ask above and perhaps others could answer this too; C J Freezer books are hard to find locally and I have bought a book from the North American spiritual equivalent John Armstrong. I am thinking that some concepts are compatible with all railway modelling but I am concerned that perhaps British railways were blessed with much more track (double lines in particular) that Mr Armstrong's books will underplay. Can anyone "compare and contrast" the approaches of the two authors (I sound like my old English teacher :O )?

Thanks

Matthew

Sh 1 t! I hit two quotes and can't delete the one above. Sorry, Mal, L8r ;)

Hal,

A question I forgot to ask above and perhaps others could answer this too; C J Freezer books are hard to find locally and I have bought a book from the North American spiritual equivalent John Armstrong. I am thinking that some concepts are compatible with all railway modelling but I am concerned that perhaps British railways were blessed with much more track (double lines in particular) that Mr Armstrong's books will underplay. Can anyone "compare and contrast" the approaches of the two authors (I sound like my old English teacher :O )?

Thanks

Matthew

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the kind remarks. I'm feeling a bit sensitive since no one has posted on the thread in question since twenty-past-six yesterday when I posted. 'Must be all in shock! I hope I haven't killed the thread off! :blush:   :jester:

Now we are in difficult waters. Most US threads I've dipped into have advised not to do double track as it compromises all the industries, etc, that most US guys seem to like. It's certainly true that accessing an industrial siding from an up and down main is much more complicated and happens much more rarely in the time I'm modelling. It has to be a big industry - coal or steel  (there are others) which require a comparatively complex junction. With single track US it's much easier. But we're talking of a different country and a very different railways system that feeds a huge continent. I'm talking in very general terms here BTW. But I'm not personally familiar with the book in question

I can't think off the top of my head, of any British publication that deals with these issues. They are more generally covered in the magazines we are quite spoiled by - four, not including the more advanced publications To make matters worse, my layout plan - when it emerges - doesn't break the rules but certainly plays with them.

Let's leave this open for a moment, Matthew. There are those who do American and British who may be able to help in this regard. Fingers crossed. ;)

Hal.

I'll have to take a typing break for a while. It has been an interesting night in the Cottage Hospital that my home has become. :jester: My digits have packed up for the moment as I've been answering a few PMs, etc, too.

I love all these questions so don't let it put you off. ;)

Hal

I only ever use one finger from each hand to type... and I've been in the IT industry, hammering keyboards, for 30-odd years !!

I should do the same, Stu, but when I was writing way back, I did learn to do it a bit more efficiently. Unfortunately, it is the outside fingers that let me down - and I'm soooooooooo slow these days! lol

Now, night-shift over (maybe) time for bed. I've been up since before twenty-past-six yesterday when I made the post in question. Still nothing. I'm getting nervous. lol  :)

Hal

Edit: - and guys, I'm way behind with my PMs ;)

Great article and pics from Nigel Burkin. I'm modelling the contemporary Blyth & Tyne with Furnace Way Sidings.

Mal

Hi Mal, 

I thought I'd check in with you before I put the lights out. I'm afraid - no doubt due to my poor phraseology - I've given some of my precious supporters the wrong idea. I'm far from sick of this layout - more enthusiastic than ever, as it happens. I'm just a bit frustrated that I've nothing to show for myself since I started. I thought I'd be more disciplined with my use of time, but the simple fact is I cannot be. I don't waste a minute, 24/7. So we'll have to see how things transpire. I do NOT want to be in a position where I'm giving people a quick *like" or *thanks* and then moving on. People deserve better than that. But I am a little bit concerned.

Guys, Mal's Furnace Way Sidings is a modern image gem. Go see. ;)

Hal

There is a line in a song that goes "never say more than you think will be heard".  Speaking for myself and probably others I tend to follow this approach on the forum only adding to a thread when I think I have something relevant to say.  Also, I don't "follow" any thread rather I scan the forum almost every day (I am retired) and follow threads and stuff that interest me.  Where am I going with this you might ask?  Don't ever be put off by an apparent lack of interest.  From what i have seen you have a pretty good layout and I will be following it on a 'stop in and see" basis.  

Re layout construction, having seen so many partially finished layouts, right at the beginning I decided that my scenic section would compose of sections and that I would try to more or less complete each section before i moved on to the next one.  For the most part it has worked out well and I am now going back and re-doing bits that (looking at them now) don't really create the atmosphere I want.  Further I now have acquired more skills and knowledge so I can re-do the section to my current skill level.  Same with electrics (DC).  And all the while i get to drink a beer or tea, have some chips (crisps) and watch trains go by

So, where would you like to re-kindle interest, in your layout ?

can't be pushy,now  can we .

Something small, not too small, when your condition allow's.

Even a short vid. of shunting, or a blast around the track. not a feature length movie, just 30-60. secs.

Hi David - Jaz,

I know I'm being picky but I do want a basic background structure to be in place before I do a vid. David, you've far greater sphericals than me, videoing as you do, but even you had the station background in place, even when it was less finished elsewhere.

Regarding the layout, I like the piece of embankment better than the retaining wall, so I'm going to do that for the full length of the part that is visible in my first pic.

Hell's teeth! Still no sleep. I'll be hallucinating shortly!  lol ;)

I know, I'll put my portrait up...

post-21358-0-96114200-1420943381.jpg

Beautiful aren't I. 

BTW I have no knowledge of who took the photo - I found it on Google images. If anyone does know, please tell me, so I can write for permission. 

Thanks to Bluebottle I now know that the imaged was published in the Railway Herald and is the work of Ron Healey. I'll need to persue for permission. If I don't get it, my avatar might die! :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Lucky b*****s have two fingers to type with!

That's a top photo that one Hal. Any idea which city She's he's coasting into?

I have a big soft spot for Eastern Region / LNER pacifics.

Oh and don't get all concerned about lack of interest when I last looked this thread has 2345 hits!

No doubt several shots of eastern region passenger trains will boost that figure quite alarmingly!

Lucky b*****s have two fingers to type with!

That's a top photo that one Hal. Any idea which city She's he's coasting into?

I have a big soft spot for Eastern Region / LNER pacifics.

Oh and don't get all concerned about lack of interest when I last looked this thread has 2345 hits!

No doubt several shots of eastern region passenger trains will boost that figure quite alarmingly!

I know, Sasquatch, we're spoiled rotten!

I was well-impressed when I heard that you put the spoon end of a wooden spoon in your mouth, so you can tap away at the keys, and that you do a lot of your first class modelling with the same instrument - amazing! :jester:

I'm afraid I've no idea of my location at this time. When I coast into a station I put on a bit of a pose for the sake of all the spotters at the end of the platform. I really should be more attentive. There were some maroon Grammar school jackets and a few navy-blue ones with grey piping. If you do a search, you might be able to break down the cities where this combination of uniforms were utilised and find out that way. Good luck!

I'm very happy with the interest shown (especially since so many of my former forum fans are still ignorant. ;) ) My only concern is that, apart from the track-plan I'm doing, I've made no progress modelling wise. Being so impressed by your draftsmanship - done with a pencil in your mouth - I want to maintain the same standards. ;)

I am looking forward to when I can parade my ten coach rakes. I'm busy painting the roofs on all the maroon Bachmann Mk 1s with Humbrol tank grey; this is the paint used by the experts to correct the awful grey that they come with. (the new ones come in a similar new colour) Makes a hell of a difference. But I still need to install the Wright-style couplings, and all the corridor connections; time, time, time! And it'll be fun to demonstrate the unholy racket my new 40 makes. I could turn it down, but I like blowing away visitors.  Now I need a green sound Deltic, but they aren't producing any at the moment. :( I could chip one of my dumb ones I suppose)

Anyway, thanks for popping in, all the way from the US of A,

Je suis Charlie,

Hal

• RMweb Premium

Sorry hear that Hal.

Looks like Brown Bottle City that you are coasting into, to me.....or Newcastle upon Tyne, as others know it!

Blue blazers from the Royal Grammar?

Now as for the question about John Armstrong that Holgate Junction mentioned - being a UK and USA modeller......completely different disciplines.  I enjoy the complex operating possibilities of US style layouts, and was a crew member of one when I lived on Tyneside, (in Felling, Hal) but that style of layout does not translate well to UK prototype, unless you model a complete but minor branch line perhaps.  A UK main line layout in general will have double track, complex junctions, and a whole different look. 

There are exceptions of course.......  I started to build a Somerset and Dorset line in more of a US style, multi level, staging etc but bit off more than I could chew, in volume and woodworking skills.  Fail.

My current US layout is shelf style, almost UK in concept, fiddle yard at each end junction in the middle sort of thing, but with walk-around control US style, so obviously I think cross-fertilisation is a good thing.  I dislike the UK 'control panel like a Wurlitzer' approach, with trains miles from where you are standing/sitting, making operation difficult IMHO.  Walk around controllers, (DCC in my case for years, but not necessary) and points worked locally by bicycle spokes and microswitches gives me the close interaction with my trains I like.  My next layout, which will be Southern region 3rd rail (because I haven't ever done that before!) will be much the same but probably a terminus to fiddle yard with a big parcels depot.

Each style of modelling has a lot to learn from the other, I enjoy reading about both and taking the middle way!

Sorry, waffling!

Hell's teeth! Still no sleep. I'll be hallucinating shortly!  lol ;)

I know, I'll put my portrait up...

attachicon.gif112941.jpg

Beautiful aren't I. 

BTW I have no knowledge of who took the photo - I found it on Google images. If anyone does know, please tell me, so I can write for permission.

Ron Healey: "Class A1 No 60116 "Hall O' The Wynd" on an up train at Doncaster, 9 June 1962."

Web page: http://railwayherald.com/imagingcentre/view/112941/PL

• RMweb Premium

I've been googling Cathedrals and churches (like there's nothing more constructive to be getting on with) but am not seeing anything that matches the one behind Hal 'O The Wynd.

Humbrol tank grey you say Hal, is that #67 per chance? There's a jar of BR coach roof grey in my paint drawer but that matches the Bachmann stock. I have used humbrol ocean grey on LNER stock before, (which looks acceptable) but think in future I'll resort to a mix of dirty black-grey acrylic with a touch of burnt umber. Most of my teak stock still has the white roves which does look the business but will need attention at some point.   

You're not far wrong about the spoon, the left thumb comes in handy some days on the QWE,ASD,ZXC and shift keys, may typos though. hehe   

Archived