Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Emily laid bare: A Stirling effort

• RMweb Gold

She will never be perfect due to the overlarge driving wheels and distorted body but I am curious to how far I can push her, so the change had to be made.

Mike, you're pushing a woman much further than I dare, more power to your elbow!!

Whilst I don't have a great interest in old kettles, I'm hooked on this excellent project, keep plodding on.

Mike.

Emily is quite compliant, unlike the other woman in my life.

Does the other woman read RMWeb? If so, I'd start padding out your trousers and get prepared for a real pasting if she does!  :jester:

Phil

I agree that fabricating your own slidebars would be a worthwhile improvement.  Though you might get somewhere by painting the relief on and where do you stop?  Whilst there is clearly too big a gap between the slidebars and running plate, I think the slidebars might be a touch too low.  I would expect the cylinder centre line to pass through the driven axle but think its a bit low.  Too complicated to change.  

Perhaps we should have a whip round for a fresh body?  You know that after developing the techniques on the prototype the best answer is to have a clear run from a clean sheet.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I agree that fabricating your own slidebars would be a worthwhile improvement.  Perhaps we should have a whip round for a fresh body? 

Fabricating my own slidebars. But that would involve METALWORK. Yes I could do with a fresh body, but there is no need to get personal.

Hi...I'm enjoying this too....re-the slide bars? Are the bars on Emily simply too close together? Would changing the shape of the crosshead improve the illusion? [maybe using something from a scrap pile?]

[is that a 'step' I see superglued to the prototype's cylinder top?]

To those of you wishing Emily "get well soon" I can report that she is over her major surgery and is starting to look like her old self, hopefully in improved form.

With the sides and bottom of the boiler lowered I placed a piece of styrene in place then placed the cylinders to see how things would finally look. You are not seeing things, she was photographed laying on her back with her skirts in the air but I have rotated it to a more normal view:

post-3717-0-70900100-1423673557_thumb.jpg

Having to deal with the front of the footplate it would be much easier if I did not have to contend with the frame extensions previously added, so they were removed:

post-3717-0-45288000-1423673558_thumb.jpg

Here a new footplate section has been fitted from 2 layers of 20thou styrene exactly as before:

post-3717-0-17774600-1423673559_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-17589600-1423673560_thumb.jpg

I did mention that I could rebuild her, better than she was, so here is the new rivetted footplate overlay. I actually made a few mistakes in the previous one but managed to get it right this time. I also now have the finer pounce wheels to produce the rivets. The original holes drilled from underneath identify were the lampirons will eventually go:

post-3717-0-24929600-1423673561_thumb.jpg

I am now going to leave her to cure overnight to see if there are any problems before continuing.

• Like 9

Mike concur with these posts great to see the lady looking better than ever....really enjoying this work.....i have to say and maybe im wrong, but i miss this sort of feature which used to be regularly shown in the popular mags....well they dont seem to show it  very much if at all now....ok i appreciate forums like this fill that gap to an extent....just idle thoughts.

i have to say and maybe im wrong, but i miss this sort of feature which used to be regularly shown in the popular mags....well they dont seem to show it  very much if at all now....ok i appreciate forums like this fill that gap to an extent....just idle thoughts.

Thanks. For some time I have found RMWeb hit the spots that the mags just dont seem to reach. I have gone somewhat overboard on recording the various stages so it is very much photo heavy, whereas the magazines can only feature a limited number due to space. 

It is also nice to get feedback comments and be able to raise/answer questions as they arise. It also helps not having to wait for a month until the next issue.

• Like 2

One of the benefits of doing something for a second time is the ability to try something different.

I was not overly happy with the way I produced the brass beading for the splashers last time around so this time I used a pair of dividers and scribed two circles (the larger first for obvious reasons) then re-adjusted and scribed the inner circle:

post-3717-0-53054800-1423758720_thumb.jpg

The resulting circles could then be divided in two. The inconsistant thickness of the beading is an optical illusion caused by the parts refusing to lie flat when taking the photo:

post-3717-0-48535200-1423758721_thumb.jpg

After careful trimming they were fixed in place with solvent:

post-3717-0-74104400-1423758722_thumb.jpg

With the front footstep/running board slightly lower I have been able to add the top of the frames behind the cylinders, something missing from the original build:

post-3717-0-60807000-1423758723_thumb.jpg

This time I have also added a rivetted overlay to the buffer beam as well as add the front frame extensions:

post-3717-0-38580700-1423758724_thumb.jpg

When the footplate was rebuilt it was actually made with the two sides joined up. This was to keep the two sides aligned. Here is Emily revealing all again brazen hussey:

post-3717-0-03945300-1423758725_thumb.jpg

Short work with a razor saw removes the bits that are no longer needed:

post-3717-0-97176300-1423758725_thumb.jpg

So just to check everything now fits and lines up better this is how things now look:

post-3717-0-81862800-1423758726_thumb.jpg

A long time ago in this thread I said that I thought the front lampirons were too short. New slightly longer ones have now been fitted and detailed as before as have the front frame extensions. Here is Emily after applying some slap:

post-3717-0-46692800-1423758727_thumb.jpg

And from another angle. I think I am now back to the point when I took the knife to her before and there is probably only minor detailing to do.

post-3717-0-17334600-1423758728_thumb.jpg

It is going to be difficult to put off attempting that lovely GNR livery for much longer:

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I agree Mike. I always try to show every stage when I do something, this not only helps me remember what I'm doing when I come back to it, but helps those that are just starting out to see what they too can do.

As for darling sweet Emily, she is looking the best she ever has done. I think she really suits her make over....

Andy G

• Like 2

Mike any thoughts...tips on forming curves in the plastic used....I note the nice flowing curve under the splashers...was this created just by the solvent gluing to main body ? I am thinking of the curves found at the front of running plates..front frames...best wishes brian

Mike any thoughts...tips on forming curves in the plastic used....I note the nice flowing curve under the splashers...was this created just by the solvent gluing to main body ? I am thinking of the curves found at the front of running plates..front frames...best wishes brian

I use craft embossing tools as I did in this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81902-completing-the-4mm-ner-6-wheel-coach/&do=findComment&comment=1351679

As someone said earlier "Are those steps superglued to the smokebox?"

Yes, they feature on the smokebox and on the running plate, six in all. To make them I took some 10thou styrene and measured in 1.5mm and made a mark. What I wanted was to overlap a piece of 30thou up to the mark:

post-3717-0-49892500-1423846605_thumb.jpg

Once laminated and set the 30thou was trimmed back to the edge of the 10thou thus:

post-3717-0-19970200-1423846606_thumb.jpg

The edge of the 30thou was then bevelled with files/emery boards (sorry for it being out of focus):

post-3717-0-93271700-1423846606_thumb.jpg

The 10thou was then cut leaving an overhang thus:

post-3717-0-55942500-1423846607_thumb.jpg

The steps were chopped into appropriate lengths and attached to Emily:

post-3717-0-23978400-1423846608_thumb.jpg

A job I have been putting off was making and fitting the front lampirons. These were made as for the tender ones however the one to go on the top of the smokebox had its "tail" at 45 degrees:

post-3717-0-10309400-1423846609_thumb.jpg

Holes were carefully drilled as appropriate, one in Jason's chimney and the one on the top of the smokebox drilled at 45 degrees. For the pedantics amongst you it might have been 44 degrees or even 46 degrees. the lampirons have now been fitted but on examining the photos the one on top of the smokebox is sitting too far into the drilled hole. It has since been rectified:

post-3717-0-31293800-1423846610_thumb.jpg

There are a couple of brackets that tie the top of the splashers to the boiler and these have been fashioned and added:

post-3717-0-08855800-1423846611_thumb.jpg

Apart from the rear steps and drilling the buffer beam that is the body virtually finished:

post-3717-0-48952800-1423846614_thumb.jpg

Another view of that errant lampiron:

post-3717-0-48584200-1423846615_thumb.jpg

• Like 8