Emily laid bare: A Stirling effort

If the chimney is hollow, try putting a long piece of snug-fitting dowel or rod inside it (turn a matching taper on the end of the dowel first if necessary) then you'll have vastly more chance of getting it vertical either by eye or with the aid of a big square.

I tried attaching the chimney again and still was not happy ..... I look at it and it looks OK, then I look later in the day and it looks off...

I bet that happened so often with the prototypes too in Victorian erecting shops.  <_< -_- :scratchhead:  

dh

[edit - in those pics above - especially the one from front 3/4 eye level - the chimbley looks plumb. Use of a square (and spirit level) would provide confirmation]

Edited by runs as required

If the chimney is hollow, try putting a long piece of snug-fitting dowel or rod inside it (turn a matching taper on the end of the dowel first if necessary) then you'll have vastly more chance of getting it vertical either by eye or with the aid of a big square.

That was my second attempt. It looked perfect until I moved it to photograph the set-up then it seemed to go out of true. Never did resolve why.

For the smokebox door handles I am using a set of Alan Gibson's. These come with a turned spindle that would have meant filing of Jason's carefully applied detail. As Jason's is more accurate instead I drilled the centre of the smokebox and glued in a length of 0.45mm N/S wire (for some reason I think of Pinocchio when I see this image):

post-3717-0-45720300-1423503216_thumb.jpg

The turned handles have been slipped over the spindle and as supplied are too large so will need trimming down:post-3717-0-19795800-1423503217_thumb.jpg

In the next installment you will see how they turned out.

• Like 7

Those of you with a weak disposition look away now.

It might, or might not, be apparent from the photos that part of the front footplate overlay was not stuck down correctly. To resolve this I drilled a hole through the overlay and flooded it with solvent. Unfortunately so much solvent was applied that the overlay melted as can be seen here:

post-3717-0-88501600-1423503665_thumb.jpg

The only option I could see was to remove the overlay ready to replace it:

post-3717-0-70698000-1423503666_thumb.jpg

The only good news is you can see the finished smokebox door handles:

post-3717-0-85174500-1423503667_thumb.jpg

**** SPOILER ALERT ****

Things get worse in the next episode!

Here is Emily as I left her:

post-3717-0-30474000-1423506789_thumb.jpg

Note that there is a big gap between the slidebars and the footplate.

On the prototype there is no such gap:

post-3717-0-48629200-1423506793_thumb.jpg

In reality my forward footplate is too high, a situation I felt needed to be addressed.

Oh well, here I have cut away the forward footplate section and I also decided to shorten the forward side tanks:

post-3717-0-04916400-1423506790_thumb.jpg

post-3717-0-79299800-1423506790_thumb.jpg

Here I have started adding styrene to extend the tanks downwards:

post-3717-0-59049800-1423506791_thumb.jpg

By checking the maximum amount that the cylinders can be recessed into the body I should be able to come up with something closer to the prototype. All filling has now been put aside to harden overnight.

post-3717-0-46315000-1423506792_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is Emily as I left her:

post-3717-0-30474000-1423506789_thumb.jp

Note that there is a big gap between the slidebars and the footplate.

On the prototype there is no such gap:

post-3717-0-48629200-1423506793_thumb.jp

Hi Mike

I hope you don't mind me commenting that to my eyes, one of the things that let's your model down is the difference in looks between the model and the prototype slide bars and crosshead.

I realise that part of the allure of this job is to get a loco that looks right from the Emily starting point, but with all the work you've gone to to get the body right, will you be addressing this area of the chassis or just leaving it as it is?

Phil

I was not planning to, but you never know, I might change my mind.

Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. Emily will be that woman. Better than she was before.....

Yes, it might have been quicker to scratchbuild or even 3D print. That was always plan "B", but I like a challange.

All I can say is, "we are not worthy".

Rubbish. All I am doing is bodging my way through this.

If I had done it properly by working out before hand what I should do, things might have been different. Instead I have worked it out as I go, so it is my own fault really.

I will get there eventually, then comes the dreaded painting.

• RMweb Gold

"or even 3D print" - I'm not so sure about that. One can keep tweaking a 3D print for months with no actual physical output at all.

Sorry to see you've had to make such drastic changes Mike, there's not many things harder than going back and doing the same thing a second time.

Mike yes should have had an 18 certificate on those photos. You are right no matter how well we do some modelling if we know there is an error that is all we see....best wishes for the future work....I am really enjoying this thread.... Not least....and I mean this well that you are mortal after all....gives me hope for my own efforts.

Be honest please. Hands up - how many of you apart from Mike Trice had actually noted the excessive gap between front footplate and slidebars.?

I have to admit to only 'reading' (and enjoying) the overall proportion of the model compared to the prototype.

And that's despite frequent visits down to Shildon and drooling over the real loco

oh -  and building the Kitmaster model long ago.

:mellow:

dh

I have to admit to only 'reading' (and enjoying) the overall proportion of the model compared to the prototype.

She will never be perfect due to the overlarge driving wheels and distorted body but I am curious to how far I can push her, so the change had to be made.