The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Hmm, now which side is the fuel filler?

Arthur

• RMweb Premium

Bugs the hell out of me. My  Sportage is on the left , but I have to hire cars when I'm down south or in Ireland, which all vary, so don't have a clue where the filler is there. Then there's the diesel or unleaded question.......................  One day I'm going to get it wrong!

• RMweb Gold

I occasionally used to drive a Transit minibus that was fitted with a six speed gearbox. Fortunately the things like indicators and wipers were very like my own car so no problem there. But my car has the normal 5 speed gearbox and the reverse is where the sixth gear is on the Transit and several times I tried to reverse it in sixth.

My mondeo has 6 gears, but my wife's Seat Mi only has 5, and there is no lock on reverse, I have frequently tried to change into 6th! Not with sucess yet.

• RMweb Premium

I filled up this afternoon, no problems as I am well aware that the filler cap is on the nearside so I pulled in to the (nearly empty) filling station to the right hand side of the pumps. While I was filling up a woman drove up to the pump opposite which was for 'offside' filler cap cars in a (not so) Smart Car which also has a nearside filler and proceeded to drag the the filler across the back of her car. All this despite there being plenty of 'right handed' pumps available.

• RMweb Premium

Bugs the hell out of me. My  Sportage is on the left , but I have to hire cars when I'm down south or in Ireland, which all vary, so don't have a clue where the filler is there. Then there's the diesel or unleaded question.......................  One day I'm going to get it wrong!

One of our friends rented a car in England.  He filled it up and when it died a quarter mile down the road, he learned that in England, the green pump isn't diesel (as it is in Canada).

If you are talking about controls, like indicators and the like, how do you discribed manufacturers like merc who seem intent on trying to put as many driving controls on a single stalk as possible? We have the same problem with Dennis busses, who make a single stalk that rotated for wipers and is also the trafficators(note, correct term for indicators).

Nearly eight years ago, I found getting used to the location of the controls in my Fiat Ducato was a bit of a nightmare. After all this time, I've forgotten what the differences were, but dread replacing it! I do know where the filler cap is though, fortunately, and have never attempted to fill the fresh water tank with diesel, as it might make cooking and washing rather unpleasant!

I filled up this afternoon, no problems as I am well aware that the filler cap is on the nearside so I pulled in to the (nearly empty) filling station to the right hand side of the pumps. While I was filling up a woman drove up to the pump opposite which was for 'offside' filler cap cars in a (not so) Smart Car which also has a nearside filler and proceeded to drag the the filler across the back of her car. All this despite there being plenty of 'right handed' pumps available.

Further evidence for my empirical assertion that when the car is Smart, the driver isn't.

• RMweb Gold

I use so many different vans in work i lose track of which side the fillers are on, we have peugeot partner, ford connect, nissan l200, citroen nemo, ford fiesta, a full size transit, vw caddy, vauxhall caddy, vauxhall astra

All i know is the amount of van driving i do i have loads of nectar and clubcard points!!

• RMweb Premium

Talk of putting the wrong liquids in the wrong filler reminded me of the Hillman Imp van and estate models. The engine oil filler was set into the door sill of the tailgate and Rootes in their wisdom cunningly made it resemble a radiator cap. Inevitably quite a few ended up with water instead of oil in the sump and an expensive repair bill.

Hi

Many years ago in a hurry on a little Honda XL100 I dived in to a petrol station. First pump was 4* (yes, that long ago), next 3* so I went to the last pump and filled up. Fuel looked a little foamy, at which point I realised I had just filled with diesel. Went in to the pay booth to be met with the guy saying "I didn't know bikes ran on diesel"..... My reply being "they don't - have you got a bucket I can borrow".

At least emptying the tank on a little bike is easy.

All the best

Keith

Hi

Many years ago in a hurry on a little Honda XL100 I dived in to a petrol station. First pump was 4* (yes, that long ago), next 3* so I went to the last pump and filled up. Fuel looked a little foamy, at which point I realised I had just filled with diesel. Went in to the pay booth to be met with the guy saying "I didn't know bikes ran on diesel"..... My reply being "they don't - have you got a bucket I can borrow".

At least emptying the tank on a little bike is easy.

All the best

Keith

Great screenname. Is Ogri still going strong?

Archived