The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2015 - Place your bets!

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

Happy New Year, Petrolheads!

Just a starter for this year's Championship, and an invitation to members to add their aspirations now, and comments as the season progresses.

May Mercedes win fewer races, to the benefit of all!

Morning Ian and the Gang, Well only a few weeks for the start of the season, but more importantly is the start of the Pre Season testing when we shall really see if Honda will live up to its expectations and also if Red Bull can turn their fortunes around in time for Race 1.

So with no knowledge of what may come let me start by playing the big gamble card.

Drivers Championship.

Hamilton

Ricciardo

Bottas.

Team Title

Mercedes.

Williams

Red Bull

Biggest Looser's of 2015

Vettle

Raikkonen

Alonso

Best Race for 2015

Spar

Silverstone

Monaco

Happy New Year again Guys (and Gals?)

• RMweb Gold
DDolfelin, on 01 Jan 2015 - 12:07, said:

Introduction of traffic lights.

ISTR they deploy those at the end of the pitlane. One well-known now-double World Champion failed to observe the red light on one occasion - and drove straight into the back of a car obediently waiting there!

But you are getting the hang of this thread!

I look forward to:

Jenson retiring as World Champion 2015.

Introduction of traffic lights.

Breathalisers for those caught speeding.

Windscreen wipers.

Windscreens.

You forgot the NO SMOKING whilst Driving rule, hahhahah

Oh dear were off, its silly time already.

• RMweb Gold

Ian: Is that the same chap that has driven into the wrong box twice?

ISTR back in the '60s, a caption to a photo in Sports Car Graphic (US mag of the era, from the same firm that published Hot Rod) which showed a well-known driver, who'd just changed teams, walking across a car-park with his wife. The caption was "Of course I know where I parked it - I just can't remember whether it's a Ford or a Dodge!"

Agree with you all of the way Andrew apart from Monaco. Race is always a procession, can't remember a lead change apart from retirement (or last corner shunt - Brabham).

Brabham's last corner shunt in 1970 was one of the best "Murray Moments" for me. Instant replay had just been introduced and on the replay Murray shouts out "He's done it again!".

• RMweb Premium

Mmm, I think the usual suspects Hamilton, Ricciardo, Rosberg, Bottas, maybe Massa  will be slugging it out, with Vettel and Raikonnen (who will leave in huff mid season) out of it, Honda as a wild card with a good chance that at one race after they come good having Alonso crashing into Button doing a moronic overtake into a corner for the lead and putting both cars out, and of course blaming Button for not getting out of his way as it was his line.

Ones to watch - Kvyat & Grosjean - make or break year for him I reckon.  He got penalised for things Alonso and Maldonado do all the time, I think he got a rough deal.

The changes in suspension rules may affect the fast cornering, but I can still see a lot of the series being a one horse race, with the pole car getting the edge.

For me it's not about the racing anymore, it's more about qualifying tactics, and then race tactics.

F1 wasn't broken, and Ecclestone tried to fix it.

And only two works teams.

Whats even more surprising is only four different engines being used, makes it even more of a mockery.

• RMweb Gold

I'm looking forward to another Alonso melt down when his team mate out scores him. Let's just hope there are no team order clauses in the 2 Mclaren drivers contracts.

Gareth

Inevitable I think - now that Jenson has married Jessica he's bound to get the best engine the Japanese can produce or they'll have to commit hari-kari (or whatever it's called) for besmirching national honour).  Looks like a top job strategic move by Jenson - clever lads these Zummerset boys.

My predictions:

A bit more competition than this year but the same teams at the top of the order and successful defence of at least one of the Championships.

Over the course of the year we'll see 5 different race winners from 4 different teams.

Button to outscore Alonso at Mclaren.
Raikonnen to outscore Vettel at Ferarri (if they both last the season).

At least one team that starts the year will not be there at the last race.

My predictions:

A bit more competition than this year but the same teams at the top of the order and successful defence of at least one of the Championships.

Over the course of the year we'll see 5 different race winners from 4 different teams.

Button to outscore Alonso at Mclaren.

Raikonnen to outscore Vettel at Ferarri (if they both last the season).

At least one team that starts the year will not be there at the last race.

Some really good predictions there, but I think if Vettle outscores Kimi by half distance then Kimi will definitely be gone sooner rather than later, (AGAIN).

Button should have the mental edge over Alfonso as he will know how to break him, Lewis would have been on the phone saying; now this is what I did to upset him, I RACED HIM, hahhaha.

More winners? YES I hope so, so who has the potential, well there's obviously Lewis, Nico R, Bottas, and Ricciarrdo also  Massa, Grosjean Button and possibly Al- Fonso.

I don't think Vettel or Kimi stand a chance with all the SILLY, IMHO, changes at Ferrari.

It'll all depend on who can close the performance gap on Mercedes. McLaren had the same engine last year but their setup and aero package just wasn't up to snuff. Same could apply this year, will kinda hinge on how the Honda engine compares.

Riccardo could well be a contender for podiums and Williams are well in with a shout.

As McLaren and Red Bull have proved, even top teams can drop the ball.

Would LOVE to see Button beat Alonso. £6mil wages beating g £40 mil. That'll be funny.

Red Bull bounce back, and Ricciardo runs Mercedes really close for the championship. Kvyat runs interference, often getting front row qualifying but then having an 'incident' in most races. Vettel spends entire season looking like he has just bitten on a lemon. The Williams and McLaren are very closely matched for pace, but the Williams looks after the tyres better: Alonso finishes most races behind Bottas and Button due to having to make an extra tyre stop, and then falling foul of Massa for ten laps. Kimi says nothing. Verstappen renamed Maximum Vercrashen by fifth race of season. Off track, mid season palace revolution sees < insert notorious 'business' personality name of choice here > take over control of F1; promises noisier engines, less regulation.

Of course I suppose the $64,000 question for 2015 is will Ferrari still be on the grid at the end of the season or will the new owners siphon off all the money Bernie shovels over and go their own sweet way leaving a mess in their wake?

The racing team survives for so long as it doesn't compromise the road car business. Then it gets sold off. Bought by a lingerie megacorp and rebranded Braserrari,

Whats even more surprising is only four different engines being used, makes it even more of a mockery.

Go back to the 70s - I seem to recall that in one GP only Cosworth DFV power plants were used - the toys were out of the Marinello pram!

Archived