Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy.

I tried glueing the backscenes onto a ply backing a few months back and gave up when things wrinkled up.

This time I've used "velcro" mini-tabs on the back of the backscene paper and on the ply backing. A bit fiddly - and not perfect - but much better than my previous attempt and it looks ok from a distance. A damn sight better than nothing at all!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Since I'm in a "backscene frame of mind", I decided to fit the background scenery to the rear of the station area. The view on the ID backscene - a Yorkshire Dales scene - roughly corresponds to the view across to the Pennines, looking east, from Kirkby Stephen's lofty position.

I'll add a number of trees and shrubs behind/in front of the walls - and some detail on the grass areas (at some future date) to break things up a bit.

At least it looks better than a bare wall!

post-13778-0-84637500-1483287145_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-02708900-1483287149_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36953800-1483287152_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

What with you being tucked away in the "special Interests" corner, I keep forgetting to come and visit, and I note that I didn't offer you my warmest felicitations for the Christmas period, so I apologise for that, and here's wishing you all the best for the New Year.

However, I wanted to post to say how well (whether by happenstance or design) you've matched up the ID backscene to your scenery, in the fourth and fifth photos above, I love how the land in the backscene rises to meet your cutting, and it looks right both from a head on view, as in the last photo, but also in a more distant angled view as in the previous shot, which is brilliant!

Nicely done Jeff, and the whole thing is looking marvellous.

Al.

Hi Jeff

I had the same problem as you with the wrinkling so hang mine from a thing strip of double sided tape for now, I'm thinking of going for the self adhesive version on polypropylene as they will stand up better to the shed conditions.

All looking good now that the walls are no longer plain though.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

What with you being tucked away in the "special Interests" corner, I keep forgetting to come and visit, and I note that I didn't offer you my warmest felicitations for the Christmas period, so I apologise for that, and here's wishing you all the best for the New Year.

However, I wanted to post to say how well (whether by happenstance or design) you've matched up the ID backscene to your scenery, in the fourth and fifth photos above, I love how the land in the backscene rises to meet your cutting, and it looks right both from a head on view, as in the last photo, but also in a more distant angled view as in the previous shot, which is brilliant!

Nicely done Jeff, and the whole thing is looking marvellous.

Al.

Cheers Al, but you give me far too much credit - I simply cut the thing to a suitable depth and stuck it in place. Must admit, the fixing was tricky because of the depth of the baseboards....

I actually fixed the card onto the ply backing using Pritt stick - rather a lot of it. I've ordered some new ones for future use.

Jeff 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That looks excellent Jeff, although there is a bit too much blue in the sky. Much of my time in the Dales had grey skies, especially over the higher ground.

Derek

There are exceptional days.....guess I chose one!

The thing I do like about the ID photo is the inbuilt haziness, which gives the background hills (which may be 5 miles away) a sense of distance.

The Gaugemaster sky - above the Fell - is even bluer. But the contrast with the green/brown of the Fell is quite dramatic and the combination appeals to me.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

H Jeff, those ID back-scenes are great. I used the self-adhesive ones, once I had treated the mdf with a coat of matt varnish.

I considered the self-adhesive ones, but at the time was set on the "velcro" route, which I'm now abandoning. I'm also not so keen in peeling off backings on self-adhesive things. I've had one or two mishaps - entirely my own fault - so a trusty glue pen was preferred.

As long as the damn thing sticks in place, the method doesn't seem to matter!

Jeff

Since I'm in a "backscene frame of mind", I decided to fit the background scenery to the rear of the station area. The view on the ID backscene - a Yorkshire Dales scene - roughly corresponds to the view across to the Pennines, looking east, from Kirkby Stephen's lofty position.

I'll add a number of trees and shrubs behind/in front of the walls - and some detail on the grass areas (at some future date) to break things up a bit.

At least it looks better than a bare wall!

attachicon.gifIMG_3678a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3681a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3683a.jpg

Jeff

Hi Jeff

That backscene looks spot on. The correct fells from the correct perspective helped, as you said, by the slight haziness of the photography.

...and that's from someone who's not a big fan of backscenes. So often they just don't look right although, to be fair, it's almost impossible to achieve a realistic transition from 3D model to 2D backscene. 

Alan

Edited by 60091

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

That backscene looks spot on. The correct fells from the correct perspective helped, as you said, by the slight haziness of the photography.

...and that's from someone who's not a big fan of backscenes. So often they just don't look right although, to be fair, it's almost impossible to achieve a realistic transition from 3D model to 2D backscene. 

Alan

Cheers Alan.

Fitting backscenes to KL2 is a bit messy as there's not a continuous border to attach photo-backscenes to. However, I decided that I'd make as good a job of the area above the Fell and directly behind the station as I could, and maybe I'b be forgiven for "cobbling" the other bits together!

I've a scheme for the rear of the viaduct, but not sure - at all - how it'll work out. But that's a while away (says he, making excuses.....procrastination rules!!)

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Looking at the monumental job you've done with the fell, it looks like some sort of film set worthy of ILM or the Weta Workshop responsible for Lord of the Rings etc. Truly a stunning job!

Funny thing is, as with the viaduct (which now looks puny to my eyes), if I had the space I'd build a much larger structure.

I've always fancied a scale model of the Arten Gill area, but it'll never happen.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've spent a pleasant hour or so in the Bunker....

I went out for 5 minutes to look at the feasibility of my backscene plan for the rear of the viaduct and ended up with a modified scheme for elsewhere....

Details will be forthcoming as it happens.

Probably not for a while.

And it does involve MORE WALL BUILDING.....oh, NO!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update:

I've been tinkering with backscenes today, and trying to get my "scheme" for the rear-viaduct backscene to work. Haven't succeeded yet!

I'm also at the point of marking-out ply ready to modify the bank area to the rear of the goods area - as highlighted in the orange oval on the pic below.

post-13778-0-56970500-1483568314_thumb.jpg

As it stands it just doesn't work, as far as allowing access AND having a believable backscene. So changes-are-a-coming.... Details when something is built!

Jeff

• Like 4

Update:

I've been tinkering with backscenes today, and trying to get my "scheme" for the rear-viaduct backscene to work. Haven't succeeded yet!

I'm also at the point of marking-out ply ready to modify the bank area to the rear of the goods area - as highlighted in the orange oval on the pic below.

attachicon.gifIMG_3681aPaint.jpg

As it stands it just doesn't work, as far as allowing access AND having a believable backscene. So changes-are-a-coming.... Details when something is built!

Jeff

It is hard to see what you are trying to do but IMO try to have a curved backscene in the corner rather than a ninety degree corner even if it is a tight radius.  Corrugated MDF may be useful in providing said radius.

At B&Q it is called Bendy MDF http://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/timber-sheet-materials/sheet-materials/mdf/DIY1291868.cat?page=2

• RMweb Premium

It is hard to see what you are trying to do but IMO try to have a curved backscene in the corner rather than a ninety degree corner even if it is a tight radius.  Corrugated MDF may be useful in providing said radius.

At B&Q it is called Bendy MDF http://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/timber-sheet-materials/sheet-materials/mdf/DIY1291868.cat?page=2

All will become clear...

It would be very easy to fit curved back scenes into both corners. But the corners are there principally for access, so anything there can't be permanently fixed.

I'll sort out the highlighted corner first. No curved back scene, but something a lot better than what's in the last image.

BTW, trackwork isn't yet complete. If Marcway ever deliver the two turnouts I have on order then I can get the sidings completed and the track grimed, rusted and ballasted.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

If you want, I am more than happy to knock up two turnouts mate. I have an EMGS crossing vee jig that is crying out to be used.

Jason, I'm going to speak to Marc at Marcway early next week. I've another 10 yards of EM SMP to come anyway, but if the curved turnouts aren't available then I'd be delighted to pass you the "contract".

Will discuss details if need be. Cheers, as usual.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

This post will, hopefully, show you what I'm doing in the corner of the layout.

Remember - it's an access corner - there's plenty of room to get in, move about and it's a good vantage point for access to the rear sidings in the goods area and for taking photos. So anything fitted in that area HAS to be removable, as required.

This is the current situation - well, as of yesterday (this pic was taken in September - so the track is the original 00, along with locos...Just to avoid any confusion!). There was a short "backscene board" attached to the removable bit of grass banking. This bank had no walling on top - unlike the sections to either side - which I thought looked crap. The rear backscene would look silly if continued onto this short board.

post-13778-0-03003400-1483631074_thumb.jpg

So, short bank and backing board removed and junked...

post-13778-0-37602200-1483631127_thumb.jpg

New board cut to fit the gap. This is held in place by two wooden blocks, attached underneath - and easily removable from the corner by removing 2 screws. So instant access to the track area...

post-13778-0-17356400-1483631223_thumb.jpg

The view from the removable board, to right and left, showing walling just DEMANDING to be completed/joined!!

post-13778-0-74540700-1483631324_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-89000100-1483631327_thumb.jpg

The usual - insulation board/modroc on top of the board. Ready for a top, 1-2cm thick plaster coating...

post-13778-0-58611600-1483631398_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-22664800-1483631404_thumb.jpg

When the plaster has been applied and set, the usual brown emulsion paint coating will be applied, followed by a top wall - linking both sides. Then static grass will go on.

The final pic shows the idea. A piece of ply will then be fitted across the back of the wall - joined to the Bunker walls on either side - and REMOVABLE via one screw at each end. Again, easy access. If this was permanent, I'd curve it, but angled across will do for me.

post-13778-0-41013900-1483631663_thumb.jpg

I hope that explains what I'm up to. Plaster coating onto the new section in a short while...

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I forgot to add that the 2 rear sidings in the photos above are the original 00 ones I fitted earlier this year. They may appear too close to the bank in places.

This will not be the case when they are ripped-up and the new track installed.

Jeff