Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Having completed the present phase of garden-concreting (pics in the Lounge), I've moved back into the bunker for a bit of layout work.

Details, maybe, tomorrow when I can show some pics.

No, not point rodding.

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Update: I AM actually doing something, despite the null posting on here. It's a slow process and I'll show the result when it's complete enough to warrant looking at.

If the showers cease, a little bit of bricklaying (proper bricks) may be possible.

More later.

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aside from the concreting work for the observatory, I've spent the last couple of days working on the embankment area between the underbridge and viaduct.

Here are some pics. The grass coating is still at the 1-2mm level and some 4-6mm will be added - downslope - when the PVA has dried. The walling isn't quite complete. Of course, a similar thing will have to be constructed on the other side: 2000 bricks for this one.

Prototype idea borrowed from Arten Gill and Ribblehead Viaducts. More pics when there's something worth showing. And a "concrete update" will go into the Lounge shortly!

post-13778-0-69355600-1490981700_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-19658700-1490981781_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-40306500-1490981854_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-45190400-1490981919_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

I've added some 4mm and 6mm fibres on top of the 1-2mm I put on yesterday.

Obviously, the main area of the embankment adjacent to the rail would have been kept well cropped - and probably burned-off in places by hot cinders! I've left a few bare patches! The absence of longer fibres - there'll be some nearer to the stream bed - makes "spotting" the variation of grass height a little difficult on these pics.

I'll start on the rear wall tomorrow.

post-13778-0-96564800-1491048959_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-77579400-1491049031_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-07301700-1491049095_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-33562300-1491049160_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-03706200-1491049229_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 16

That grass looks great jeff,something ive never tried using is static grass,once bought a cheap applicator off ebay,tried it & had no joy with it,just made a mess!

Walling looks fantastic as always pal.

Cheers

Ben

• RMweb Premium

Superb as ever Jeff, I really must get the jig finished and have a go at some "Derbyshire" dry stone walling ready for my new 009 layout.  I'll keep you posted on walling progress!

Steve

• Like 2

Hi Jeff

Stunning work... and you haven't forgotten the wooden posts, which seem to run along almost every dry stone wall, to support a couple of strands of barbed wire. Maybe this isn't the time to ask if you plan to reproduce the wire :no:

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff

Stunning work... and you haven't forgotten the wooden posts, which seem to run along almost every dry stone wall, to support a couple of strands of barbed wire. Maybe this isn't the time to ask if you plan to reproduce the wire :no:

Alan

Evening Alan.

The answer to your question is "Yes", I plan to fit some wire. The fencing posts aren't glued in, just a tight fit. So when I see my dad in a few weeks time I'm going to pinch some of his finest fishing line, remove the posts, drill two very fine holes in each and fit the line through. I'll seal the line in place with a drop of nail varnish at each end.

It'll give the idea, but no " barbed" effect - too small for my eyes!!

Jeff

• Like 3

Hi Jeff,

Timely jolt from you has spurred me on to start something I've been meaning to do for ages ------ fence posts along the stone walls! I have done all the 'down' side along the trackside has been completed, pics in next weeks update on Dent, thanks for the involuntary prod  :yes:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff,

Timely jolt from you has spurred me on to start something I've been meaning to do for ages ------ fence posts along the stone walls! I have done all the 'down' side along the trackside has been completed, pics in next weeks update on Dent, thanks for the involuntary prod  :yes:

Glad to be of (involuntary!!) service....

I've started the walling on the other side of the embankment. A couple of pics showing the situation with 250 stones and 750 stones in place:

post-13778-0-04337300-1491162974_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-36446800-1491163047_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Update: More stones put into the latest wall. Most of the second embankment wall should be finished by this evening - pics later.

Pics of Observatory shed in the Lounge.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Ok, here's the wall - 1500 stones to date. I keep count - roughly - to keep my mind active while on "stone-laying autopilot"!

More fun with static grass tomorrow.

post-13778-0-81825200-1491247745_thumb.jpg

It's nothing scintillating, you've seen it before - ignore, if you please....

Jeff

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ben. And you are certainly correct - a layout never really gets finished. Nor do I want it to be - it's great fun working on it.

Earlier,I had a look back to the state of things one year ago. Though it sometimes seems that nothing happens, the difference over a year is immense - and very encouraging!

So I'll plod on with a bit of this and that - then a lot of rodding - and we'll see how it goes. If I really wanted to put off the rodding, there's always a stream area to build.....

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a jealousy button just for this thread but it got used so many times it got worn out and management never replaced  :jester:

Nice one, Martin.

No need to be "jealous" - all I'm doing is chucking a bit of PVA down and sticking bits of clay or fibres to it. Surprisingly good fun for something that looks so tedious.

Thanks to all for your continued positive comments.

Jeff

• Like 2

Nice one, Martin.

No need to be "jealous" - all I'm doing is chucking a bit of PVA down and sticking bits of clay or fibres to it. Surprisingly good fun for something that looks so tedious.

Thanks to all for your continued positive comments.

Jeff

Jeff it's the tedious jobs that you are prepared tackle with a good positive attitude that's makes following your progress an inspiration to all . Maybe we are not all 'Fell Mad' but it's the attention to detail that we can all take so much from. Now get on with that scenery !!!!! :jester:

160 Pages, 150 on walling and the Fell, and 10 on Track and Ballast. :O

Nothing much on Running yet though, but were all looking forward to the day when you stand in the corner blowing your Trumpet to the tune of Reveille, instead of the Last Post that we had at the end of KL1. :sungum:

• Like 1