Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

Nice work jeff,really coming along and as youve already said the grass will grow on it when your ready for it!

You mentioned fences from matchsticks...

Something ive been thinking about for my own layout was thinking about scratch building some post & wire fencing rather than buy the ratio ones as ive read the "wire" that comes with them isnt that good.

I'll watch with great intrest if your planning on post & wire fencing & how to do it!

Cheers

Ben

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Ben.

I built a lot of "wire" and post fencing for an earlier layout (pre KL) using matchsticks which I painted brown.The wire was actually black cotton, wrapped around the stick and held in place with a dab of nail varnish.

It looked OK, but this time I'll have a go at drilling the sticks - say 2cm length - in 4 places and feeding fine wire through. I recall Shaun (Sasquatch) saying he'd done something similar.

It sounds fiddly but is much more satisfying than "off the shelf" products. I may get round to some fencing in the next month or so. My modelling "mojo" is a bit low at the moment so it may be a while!

Jeff

• Like 2

Looking fantastic Jeff it's some task you've taken on here but it's going to be one hell of a layout when finished. I remember when I was building my Rhb Swiss layout many years ago and made over six hundred pine trees out of gorse there were times when I thought i would never finish but the result was well worth it. 

• RMweb Premium

Looking fantastic Jeff it's some task you've taken on here but it's going to be one hell of a layout when finished. I remember when I was building my Rhb Swiss layout many years ago and made over six hundred pine trees out of gorse there were times when I thought i would never finish but the result was well worth it.

I guess I'm not the only one who does insane things, then!?

Thanks for restoring belief in my "sanity"!!

BTW, is there a thread with photos of this coniferous forest?

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Cheers jeff

Hope you find a bit of that mojo soon mate!

Think every everyone goes through a stage of it,i know i do!

Cheers

Ben

Yes, Ben. I'm still working and making progress. But slowly. When I'm "in the groove" the hobby is all-consuming. Haven't felt like that for a couple of months.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The post and wire fences I have seen do not go thought the posts but are attached to the sides. The SR concrete ones have holes through but what they call staples go through to hold the wire to the side. The GWR did drill holes through some bridge rail to make a straining post the holes were to take an eyebolt which could be used to tension the wire. The intermediate pots were timber with the wire stapled to the sides, It may be different up on the S&C but might be worth checking.

Don  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ben.

I built a lot of "wire" and post fencing for an earlier layout (pre KL) using matchsticks which I painted brown.The wire was actually black cotton, wrapped around the stick and held in place with a dab of nail varnish.

It looked OK, but this time I'll have a go at drilling the sticks - say 2cm length - in 4 places and feeding fine wire through. I recall Shaun (Sasquatch) saying he'd done something similar.

It sounds fiddly but is much more satisfying than "off the shelf" products. I may get round to some fencing in the next month or so. My modelling "mojo" is a bit low at the moment so it may be a while!

Jeff

Hi Guys,

I have found that the wire that flower arrangers use (is in cut straight lengths about a foot long, of standard thickness and can be green or 'silver') fed 'straight' through drilled holes when I tried it.  When I find the time to work on Rothleigh I intend to do a lot more.

Cheers, Peter BB

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The post and wire fences I have seen do not go thought the posts but are attached to the sides. The SR concrete ones have holes through but what they call staples go through to hold the wire to the side. The GWR did drill holes through some bridge rail to make a straining post the holes were to take an eyebolt which could be used to tension the wire. The intermediate pots were timber with the wire stapled to the sides, It may be different up on the S&C but might be worth checking.

Don  

Don, I'll be looking at plenty of photos of "typical" S&C fences before I start building them. It would be easier if they didn't go through the posts, although I do like the threaded look.

Doubtless I'll find a full spectrum of types!

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

By the way, as a follow-up to the lineside fencing discussion, if anyone has any decent photos of "typical" S&C post-and-wire fencing, please post them on here.

Chip?

Jeff

By the way, as a follow-up to the lineside fencing discussion, if anyone has any decent photos of "typical" S&C post-and-wire fencing, please post them on here.

Chip?

Jeff

Hi Jeff

Sorry to disappoint, but absolutely nothing, zilch, nowt.

Flat out working at the moment through the week and next weekend is a busy one, but you never know, if the sun is shining and I'm not busy I think I can persuade my mountain bike and camera to have a ride out.

Watch this space (but don't hold your breath)

Chip

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chip, Jonathan, thanks for the input.

I've looked at a lot of lineside photos of the S&C and there seems to be no definitive method for post and wire fencing. In some, the wiring goes through the post, and in a lot of others the wire is wrapped around the post and the main fence "inner" is attached to that.

Still early days, and no hurry to build, so any clear photos of fencing alongside the S&C would be appreciated.

Jeff

Hi Jeff , I know I should of looked on here sooner. At Hellifield where the old engine shed once stood there is still the old fencing. It runs from the bridge just north of the station right down to the user work crossing. Next time I am up there I will get some pics for you buddy.

Mark ( the grabbing relief )

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I don't really like to mention it Jeff but on the high fells most of the S&C lineside 'fencing' appears to be, hmm, stone walls.

Very true, Mike. An effective, "permanent" boundary to the line, rather than fencing. Unfortunately, an excess of walling on the model would make it look monotonous. In addition to the fact that fence building is a pleasant alternative to a few thousand additional DAS bricks!!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've spent very little time in the Bunker over the last 2 weeks. A bit of joinery has been done, but nothing significant.

I need to get some of the walling painted, but I've decided my next task will be to fit the remaining track in the goods yard. As one of the sections is a lift-out, I'll be applying the same technique as per the Fell lift-out section (p.67, post # 1673). I'm going to start on this tomorrow and hope it'll re-kindle my enthusiasm!

Apologies for the deceleration in progress. I know I'm a bad boy and need a good telling off!!  :onthequiet:  :O  :D  :D

Jeff

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Those of you who've followed the KL and KL2 threads will know that I'm using Kirkby Stephen as an outline template for the station area on the layout. If I had the space I'd have done a scale copy of the place, but have "freelanced" with the addition of a nearby viaduct and the Fell. I've also compressed the trackwork to fit it into the 17 feet I have available.

Some of you will also recall seeing the plan below - a 1912 diagram of the Kirkby Stephen area.

post-13778-0-08221100-1468250255_thumb.jpg

You'll notice that the land adjacent to the top sidings rises sharply (by, maybe, 20 feet) above the track level. There is a stone wall running along the top of this rise, forming part of the boundary of the station area.

Here's what I've built, to date. There is more to build as far as the rise is concerned - extended to the left, as you look at the pics. It'll also have to be fitted with the requisite stone wall.... The rise is currently fragmented as the board (shown with a yellow rectangle) has to be removable for stone wall/scenic work. The siding track has been sectioned to accommodate this.

post-13778-0-83382100-1468250576_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-81999600-1468250582_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-83868500-1468250588_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-16958800-1468250652_thumb.jpg

I've not done much in the past 2-3 weeks, but I have to say that the work over the last couple of days has been a lot of fun.

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Ooh, a goods yard. Time to play trains to refire the enthusiasm?

Hi Jason.

Your idea is a good one, and maybe it'll soon be time..... I need a few more 3-links-fitted wagons, methinks.

I did enjoy all the shunting on Bacup and we'll no doubt - at some stage - end up shunting on KL2.

At least I've got the sidings in. I remember you asking me to build them, ooh, 6 months ago??!!

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pics from today, showing - very clearly - why I need the rear sections of the goods yard to be removable.

Work has commenced on the dreaded walling - this is 3 hours worth.... Oh well, it'll hopefully look good when it's finished!

post-13778-0-07746600-1468344871_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-84693800-1468344875_thumb.jpg

Jeff

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Update....

Just to let you know, I'm over in Cumbria again.

I may not be able to build anything at the moment, but I've got the work planned out for the station access road, walls etc for when I return.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Update: I'm back home, so I expect there'll be something to post on here over the next few days.

I know people look in, so just keeping you informed in case you think I've emigrated!

In the "old days", Jock or AndyP would have been politely "nagging" me to get on with it by now!!

Jeff

• Like 3