Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for the lack of posts on here recently.

I'm still building - over 4.3m now - and I'm gradually slowing down as I incorporate smaller "rocks" into the walls. Must be managing 6cm an hour!

No different, I suppose, to someone spending ages building a kit, though that job is more skilful than the repetitive plodding along that I'm doing.

I reckon another 100cm should complete the walling on the main body of the Fell, and then it'll be time to give it its base coat of scatter. Ooops, after I've given the walls an acrylic wash.

I realise many photos are very similar - I'll put something on here later in the week.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Must be managing 6cm an hour!

That's pretty good... according to the Dry Stone Walling Association a good waller will take a whole day to do that amount (15 running foot) of wall.

Neil

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

That's pretty good... according to the Dry Stone Walling Association a good waller will take a whole day to do that amount (15 running foot) of wall.

Neil

An interesting bit of trivia, Neil. Good to know I'm working my ar*e off!!!!

Been out all day - just heading into the Bunker for a bit more walling work.

Jeff

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Like your walls you must have great patience to complete them must admit I chickened out and bought them ready made !

I have to admit that if the terrain had been flatter then I'd have probably done the same. There are a number of nice sets of walling available these days. However, the almost continuous changes in gradient on the Fell made that option impossible. It would certainly have been possible to fit walling pieces in place, but the angle of the stone courses would have looked totally wrong.

I've done another 300 stones today and made a modification to part of the lower Fell that'll be evident when I post the next photos - probably on Friday.

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have to admit that if the terrain had been flatter then I'd have probably done the same. There are a number of nice sets of walling available these days. However, the almost continuous changes in gradient on the Fell made that option impossible. It would certainly have been possible to fit walling pieces in place, but the angle of the stone courses would have looked totally wrong.

I've done another 300 stones today and made a modification to part of the lower Fell that'll be evident when I post the next photos - probably on Friday.

Jeff

I'll have to pop in again, then!

I'm impressed already, Jeff.

Edited by southern42

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, you really need to get a hobby ...

Dave, though said tongue-in-cheek, you are probably right!!

In fact, my main problem is that I have too many MAIN hobbies - 4. They all vie for time and KL2 - perhaps surprisingly - gets pushed out.

Just wait until the next astrophotography "window" opens up - this thread will almost come to a halt.

Jeff

• Like 3

Dave, though said tongue-in-cheek, you are probably right!!

In fact, my main problem is that I have too many MAIN hobbies - 4. They all vie for time and KL2 - perhaps surprisingly - gets pushed out.

Just wait until the next astrophotography "window" opens up - this thread will almost come to a halt.

Jeff

& that is fine, because it _is_ a hobby, and you are doing this for your own fun, not for us punters on the internet !

If your only hobby was astrophotograpy, you'd be into taking photos of something crummy instead of letting it lie for now, while there is nothing worthy of your effort.  So it's good to have more than one interest...

(I think the next thing hobby related for me is unloading the van of the new to me Colchester Bantam lathe that traveled ~4500 km with me...almost like weightlifting, that thing !)

James

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well said, James. Couldn't have put it better myself!

The astrophotography is dependent on when the Moon or other objects are around, and as I require the object to be at least 30 degrees above the horizon, it limits my shooting window.

And KL2 is meant to be fun - and it IS, though I do like to please the "punters". Without this thread I'd undoubtedly have managed a small fraction of what's been built since last August.

The next post is an update.

I enjoy your contributions and, one of these days, I may find myself stumbling around western Canada - I'll give you a call!!!!

Jeff

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

As promised, here's the updated situation on the Fell.

I've now completed over 4.6m of walling, with around 0.6m left to do on the Fell area. I was also concerned about the near precipitous drop that some of the Fell walkers faced as they walked beside the wall in places. So I've flattened-out the lower fell and added in a couple of new fascia boards.

The boards in the photos are temporary - made of 4mm ply. I need to order some 9mm in amongst the Birch ply order for the rear of the goods yard (my next major task). It was 9mm Birch that was used elsewhere for the fascias.

The gap in the main "horizontal" wall will have a stile and gate area before long.

post-13778-0-21867200-1464959448_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-51856300-1464959451_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-24883000-1464959455_thumb.jpg

post-13778-0-20166800-1464959460_thumb.jpg

Jeff

Edited by Physicsman
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Very impressive jeff,the whole fell is looking huge in them pics!

Great work

Cheers

Ben

Thanks Ben.

I made up another batch of DAS strips last night, so I'll try and get some of the remaining Fell stonework done this afternoon.

We'll see what happens over the next few weeks. I've been beevering away in the Bunker almost non-stop since last August, so it may be time for a short break to re-ignite the enthusiasm.

Goods yard baseboards, wall painting and a first cover of vegetation will duly follow!

Jeff

• Like 2

Hi Jeff Hope all is ok.

I have been a tad busy with life and with only the I phone to look on rmweb its been hard. I like how the fell has begun to take over the layout ha ha. But where's the (should I say it) grass !!!!!!!!!.

Sad news about Jock. he will be missed on here and on other topics.

mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jeff Hope all is ok.

I have been a tad busy with life and with only the I phone to look on rmweb its been hard. I like how the fell has begun to take over the layout ha ha. But where's the (should I say it) grass !!!!!!!!!.

Sad news about Jock. he will be missed on here and on other topics.

mark

Hi Mark.

You must have been a busy lad with your family business as you've not been on here for ages. Good to hear from you.

There'll be some of the green stuff before too long....

Agree about Jock. We all miss his cheery comments and encouragement.

Jeff

Yes Jeff I have been busy Emily is now 9 months old time fly's . I had an Incident at work and with other things didn't help and I got into a bad place. BUt now things are getting back to normal now so I should be on here more often.

Hope all is well with you. And keep them pics coming.

Mark    

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've now passed the 500cm mark on the main Fell walling. Aside from the gate area, that's enough walling for the moment.

I may have a mess-around with some dilute acrylic tomorrow, just to add a bit of coloration to the stones. Nothing too dark. It's always easier to gradually darken a wall than to retrospectively lighten it!

I'm away at the end of the week and when I return I'll order in the ply needed to construct the lift-out and fixed sections to the rear of the goods area.

As the revised title of this thread states - what next?

Jeff

• Like 4

Hi Jeff

I'm still lurking as usual.

As the revised title of this thread states - what next?

Well I'm sorry to say but I think a lot of walling!!

looking at this photo your bottom row of stones are ok, but all the others are way over scale!!

post-8639-0-64989100-1465326794.jpg

Only joking Jeff, that wall is nowhere near the S&C you'll be pleased to hear!!

Don't forget a stile or two, but I'm not struck on how they do them (did this one anyway) in Derbyshire?

post-8639-0-48766400-1465326994.jpg

And if all this is getting to much and you can't be bothered to finish off the last 1% of the wall you can always get some of these to the correct scale.

post-8639-0-68535200-1465327098.jpg

Keep up the excellent work and enjoy your break.

Chip.

• RMweb Premium

I trust the final stone will be a golden one.

Very impressive Jeff.

Not a bad idea Peter, but the problem is - will there EVER be a final stone!?

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi Chip.

There'll be a stile adjacent to the gate. I'll build it in the style of the pics you supplied for KL:

post-13778-0-91374600-1465328835.jpg

post-13778-0-48551600-1465328841.jpg

A bit of painting before I toddle off for a break....

Jeff

• Like 4