Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LNER Models in 4mm

Just acquired this DJH ex NER Class C7/Class Z .

As you can see this will be bit of a challenge. Fortunately all very old glue construction, so will be easy to strip and rebuild from the beginning again. The Tender will be replace with the much better Dave Alexander version. I have ordered some much needed detail parts from Arthur K including crossheads which arent made out of whitemetal as those supplied by DJH.

I have a few jobs ahead of this one which will be a winter project.

I was amazed that it actually works when tested it is fitted with a Anchoridge D11 motor that will be replaced with a Mashima/High Level box.

post-7186-0-17220600-1344701685.jpg

post-7186-0-53781000-1344701694.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes, should be a challenge, certainly not the best of kits. I built one quite a few years ago, and the major problem I found was the height of the cylinders, the top of them should be just below the top of the footplate - not underneath it! quite a bit of metal was removed from both the cylinders and footplate and I even raised the whole body about 0.5mm (and it still looks ok).

Good luck.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hope this shows up ok, material removed from the valences and the tops of the cylinders plus 30thou plasticard packing to raise the body. Also seen is the side control springs on the bogie (that I'd forgotten about!).

post-7104-0-79270600-1344756196.jpg

post-7104-0-47364500-1344756139.jpg

post-7104-0-85890500-1344756150.jpg

post-7104-0-81807700-1344756160.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever

Paul

Photos of how the front bogie is made and fitted from underneath would be good. Are you still using WM Crossheads??!!

I was quite surprised and pleased that mine runs around curves without derailing of the bogie or rear Cartazzi truck. I wonder if thats the reason the front Cylinders have been made higher by DJH? Perhaps for clearance reasons ?

many thanks

• RMweb Gold

Hope this shows what you need.

Mine runs well round curves as well, the problem with the cylinders is that they should be behind the valence rather than under it, I seem to remember that it was a twisted mess when I first put it together!

post-7104-0-32945500-1344758268.jpg

Edited by Worsdell forever
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, yes the original w/m crossheads, they seem to be ok.

You must be very lucky!! I am amazed it hasnt turned into a ball of spaghetti !.

Re the front bogie I am no expert on side control. I presume the wires help to keep the bogie away from the cylinders?

Sorry to be a pain , If you get a chance can you take a photo of the top of the bogie off the chassis. What kind of wire do you use? The brass piece holding the wire is it a scratch piece or commercial item?

I was surprised to see that you still used the original swing mount for the bogie , I was expecting some special kind of engineering! . Good to see makes life a bit easier!!

many thanks

• 3 weeks later...

First up the GCR Meat Van now awaits delivery of some Dullcote matt varnish. I can then add wheels, remainder of Brake Gear and some weathering

post-7186-0-72114000-1346610846.jpg

Sir Nigel Gresley in wartime livery which I have never seen modelled. The Chrome lettering was painted matt yellow when the Loco was painted Black. This is a conversion using Railroad chassis and originally a BR Green Falcon and Tender bodies

post-7186-0-98551600-1346611023.jpg

post-7186-0-17120500-1346611030.jpg

post-7186-0-32280000-1346611092.jpg

post-7186-0-62569600-1346611487.jpg

post-7186-0-01211700-1346611495.jpg

post-7186-0-16045600-1346611121_thumb.jpg

Battling with this !!

A R&E GCR Horsebox recently bought from Brassmasters. This is a re release of a old kit and it shows !!. Diabolical castings, parts that dont fit, misaligned etches and nonsense instructions.

Luckily Steve Banks did a article in Model Rail Feb 2004 which Jonathan Jwelleans kindly supplied a cpoy off. This outlines the faults and luckily suggests replacement parts from the MJT range which are excellent.

Very surprised that Brassmasters re released these kits , nowhere near their usual quality products.

post-7186-0-12572800-1346611248.jpg

Steve Banks in the article mentions steps and brake train gear were added to the end by the LNER ,sadly the article only has side views and doesnt show a photo of the end he has created so a guess has been made to the layout using spare etched steps etc.

Last up a start has been made on another NRM Scotsman , this will become Winsor lad in due course. Anyone got a spare superdeatil non corridor tender going spare ??

post-7186-0-23445100-1346611233.jpg

post-7186-0-07954500-1346611259.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 7

Hi Mick,

I very much like the Sir Nigel in WWII black. The other engine I haven't seen in this livery is No. 4468 / 22. I am sure that I have seen a picture of Mallard as No. 22 in black with a large dent on her front. Something else that would take a much modelled locomotive into the highly unusual. I just wish I could remember where I saw it...

There is some absolutely cracking modelling on here and I love the fact that you recycle so much of the no - hope and abused models into some really special and unusual stuff. This thread is always a great read!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 1

The Brake gear etc is a straight copy of a NER version I already have. Sounds like I have had a lucky guess !!.

Axleboxes are the originals from the kit. They match the photos in the Model Rail article so are correct and reasonable castings !!

These are the "other castings" from the kit on the Left of picture. MJT replacements on the right. The Blob bottom left is supposed to be a Vacumn Brake Cylinder !!

post-7186-0-11647800-1346682910.jpg

Edited by micklner

The axleboxes on the GC horsebox do have a look of a particular kind of GC axlebox. Whether they are correct for this model or not I cannot say, but they would pass my eye until I found a photo to prove them wrong.

The axleboxes on the GC horsebox do have a look of a particular kind of GC axlebox. Whether they are correct for this model or not I cannot say, but they would pass my eye until I found a photo to prove them wrong.

No need they are the same as the photo in the Model Rail artilce by Steve Banks. I can PM/email a copy to you if needed.

Mick,

Found this partial photo of a GCR Horsebox in very early LNER days whilst looking for something else(!). Note the ventilator on the roof and the torpedo vents on 'boxes'- I have seen this before on other GCR vehicles. Hope I'm not too late for your model.......

The GCR axlebox covers were very characteristic, they curve subtly towards the bottom and were standard on all their 6 wheelers (ie as per the Rod Neep etches) and many other vehicles.

Cheers Tony

edited as I put early GNR days not LNER

post-4594-0-56152400-1346922256.jpg

Edited by Rail-Online
  • Like 1

Shame the picture is not side on .

It looks like it has Coach class numbering on the grooms door "3" and cant make out the lettering above looks like C ? BR.

According to instructions they were built for the GCR and CLC use . The GCR version only had the Clerestory shown .

I will recheck re vents as I havent even made a replacement roof so far !!

I have now also added a raised door ventilator from the spares box since my last photo for the Grooms compartment..

many thanks

Edited by micklner

Roof vents are different to the drawing and picture in the blue carriage drawings book. The door beading doesn't quite line up properly - has it been replaced with a second hand carriage door?

That lettering is also odd. I note, though, that at least some of these were built by outside contractors: is it possible they were also built for other companies? GSWR was the first thing which came to mind when I looked at that lettering.