LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

23 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

It's the usual Martyn Welch mix; 4 shades of Humbrol and white spirit.

The matt varnish is probably acrylic, and doesn't like the white spirit.

CJI.

If that were the case, John, I'd have expected a lot more reactions.   The varnish didn't smell acrylic, but I did try it on a couple of expendable vehicles first and didn't have a problem.   As I say, it's only been on a few items in a few places, but enough to notice.   Unless it simply hasn't cured fully, of course.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Unless it simply hasn't cured fully, of course.

That was my first reaction to your post. How long had you left the varnish? 

4 hours ago, jwealleans said:

If that were the case, John, I'd have expected a lot more reactions.   The varnish didn't smell acrylic, but I did try it on a couple of expendable vehicles first and didn't have a problem.   As I say, it's only been on a few items in a few places, but enough to notice.   Unless it simply hasn't cured fully, of course.

Can does'nt say much it mentions Acetone and a very long chemical name will type out name if needed !! Not much odour when used and intial quick drying , no mention of drying time on can.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, micklner said:

No weathering to be done on the A2...

Hooray! 👏

Lovely looking model as it is!

I don't weather anything either (though not for the same reasons) and always feel we're in a very small minority...

Edited by Chas Levin

Posted (edited)
On 15/03/2024 at 10:02, Chas Levin said:

Hooray! 👏

Lovely looking model as it is!

I don't weather anything either (though not for the same reasons) and always feel we're in a very small minority...

I do weather wagons and a light dusting with powders on "lesser" Locos and Coaches . They are not sealed ,so that can be washed off in the future.

A smaller minority on here perhaps , in the bigger world who knows !!.

Thanks

Edited by micklner
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2024 at 18:48, Daddyman said:

How long had you left the varnish?

Honestly, I can't recall but not less than 2 or 3 days.   I did 6 or 8 wagons in a batch and had the reaction of two panels on two different vehicles, which had been painted with different paints.   Hence my conclusion that it was the varnish.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

Honestly, I can't recall but not less than 2 or 3 days.   I did 6 or 8 wagons in a batch and had the reaction of two panels on two different vehicles, which had been painted with different paints.   Hence my conclusion that it was the varnish.

James Maikin (on RMW) talks about leaving varnish a month as he's had bad experiences. That might be a little excessive (but better safe than sorry?), but the varnish certainly shouldn't smell; it it does, it hasn't set yet. I think I'd wait a bit more than 2 or 3 days... Could still be the varnish, though... 

Incidentally, Revell's matt enamel varnish is very good - very matt and very easy to use. (Can't say how long it takes to dry though.) 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jwealleans said:

I have used it on my A2 and recent B16 models . No reaction to Halfords Aerosol Matt Black or Humbrol/Revell unthinned Satin Black and Red Oxide on both models. Precision Paint ok too.

Sounds like it doesnt like Turps perhaps that was'nt full dry?.

Edited by micklner
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, micklner said:

D20 loco only, ready for paint.

Really nice job Mick and I take your point regards the inside valve gear. Your builds just get better and better.

Kind regards,

Edited by 30368
  • Thanks 1