LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

Mk 2 Cab

DJH A2/2 sides A3 Front and Bachmann A2 Roof. Microstrip beading and roof strips added. Numerous rivets to be added to Cabsides and Roof after first priming for visibility.

Boiler screwed down to footplate.This ensures Cab sits correctly level on footplate prior to glueing to Boiler first to locate Superglue and then Araldite for strength.

post-7186-0-01660200-1327153596.jpg

post-7186-0-16927500-1327153606.jpg

post-7186-0-12645800-1327153620.jpg

post-7186-0-16159900-1327153631.jpg

• Like 5

30000 plus viewings of this thread !! Many thanks for having a look .

Now starting to look like a A2/3.

There has been a lot of filing scraping etc to achieve this fit. Particular care had to be made on the Boiler fit to the new resin front end . This ensures the Footplate is level, this ensures a good fit of the sandfillers onto the face of the footplate as well.

Smokebox saddle needed a layer of 10 thou Plastikard to ensure a good fit as well.

post-7186-0-37946900-1327416770.jpg

Fittings in second picture are loose fitted. I will be priming smokebox and ensuring all smooth prior to proper fixing of the fittings.

post-7186-0-59232200-1327416788.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

A2/3 now with much better etched details fitted. It is now being painted and a lot of rivets added to Cab and Smokebox areas.

post-7186-0-81186800-1328129753.jpg

Also on the go is a commision. The body as recieved after the owner attempted to paint as a Apple Green A4 and then stripped the paint off. I couple of minor repairs can be seen.

post-7186-0-70187800-1328129773.jpg

Now in basic colours to be Kingfisher after lining out. Buffer moulding has also been refitted.

post-7186-0-29657300-1328129801.jpg

post-7186-0-90099400-1328129825.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 4

A2/3 ready for varnish and lining.

Oh I can feel an attack of the A2/3's might be coming on towards the end of this year. Mick, can I pick your brains when that attack occurs?

Lovely job.

Regards

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Beautiful results once again Mick, one day I will commission and A2/2!!

I was just wondering what diameter of wire you used for the wiring runs on the smokebox of the A2/2 and A2/3s? I am thinking about adding wire runs to my Peppercorn A2 but am stuck between everything looking over or underscale. On the subject of A2s, where did you get the works plate for 525? I have looked at Fox, which do Doncaster works plates but I dont think they do locomotive specifc ones, just generic.

Cheers!

Al

• Like 1

Beautiful results once again Mick, one day I will commission and A2/2!!

I was just wondering what diameter of wire you used for the wiring runs on the smokebox of the A2/2 and A2/3s? I am thinking about adding wire runs to my Peppercorn A2 but am stuck between everything looking over or underscale. On the subject of A2s, where did you get the works plate for 525? I have looked at Fox, which do Doncaster works plates but I dont think they do locomotive specifc ones, just generic.

Cheers!

Al

Smokebox "wire" is thin fuse wire , bent to shape with a fat handrail knob.

Worksplate is the normal 247 Developments LNER Doncaster plate. I am not aware of anyone doing specific works plates? I would like some for my early A1 Great Northern renames if they do exist ???

Smokebox "wire" is thin fuse wire , bent to shape with a fat handrail knob.

Worksplate is the normal 247 Developments LNER Doncaster plate. I am not aware of anyone doing specific works plates? I would like some for my early A1 Great Northern renames if they do exist ???

Thanks Mick, found some fuse wire in the garage, thought the 5 amp stuff was thicker than that so hadn't even considered it. If I do find somewhere that makes loco specific brass worksplates I will let you know!

Al

• Like 1

Lovely work Mick. You have that 'happy knack' of capturing the essence of these beautiful machines. There never was an ugly British steam locomotive; just some more aesthetically pleasing than others (oh that might cause a debate)!

Cheers

Mike

• Like 4

As I said on the LNER forum, all three are stunning. May I add, the finish on that the A2/3 in particular matches so very, very closely to the RTR finish of the Hornby Pacifics earlier on in your thread - it looks like a RTR model through and through.

A wonderful paint finish on all three.

• Like 1

Wish I had your painting skills Mick. At least I have the gismo that you stick up the boiler to hold the thing as in the pics.

Lovely finishing; just getting OD in LNER stuff these days.

Phil @ 36E

Nothing complicated

Halford Primer

Precision or Railmatch Aerosol depending on shade being used

Vallejo Gloss Varnish to seal

Games Workshop Satin to finish

Job done ( just needs a lot of occasional swearing when it goes wrong, which it does and careful rubbing down when required)

• Like 4

Nothing complicated

Halford Primer

Precision or Railmatch Aerosol depending on shade being used

Vallejo Gloss Varnish to seal

Games Workshop Satin to finish

Job done ( just needs a lot of occasional swearing when it goes wrong, which it does and careful rubbing down when required)

Which of those paints is the best match for Bachmann Apple green?

Thanks