LNER Models in 4mm

micklner

I agree they should be Oxford Blue BUT if you look at the photos in the original LNER Wagons by Tatlow the photos show the same wagon in totally different colours , sadly both are Black & White.

David

if you or anyone else has a etched A2 cab or two ?? I would gladly have them !! otherewise I will use modified Hornbys.

Precision Labels to a special order, I have a couple left if you need a pair.

That's very kind of you Mick, but not required for either 1938 or 1950.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just come across this brilliant thread - born and bred near the ECML all things LNER/BR(E) are in my blood. However I have an info request. I have a part built PDK (nee Crownline) 60113 and want to finish it the way I saw it when it was shedded at Grantham, but I cannot find anyone who does the crest for the post 1950 nameplate. Anybody any ideas for a supplier or how I could create one?

Thanks in anticipation

John

I have just come across this brilliant thread - born and bred near the ECML all things LNER/BR(E) are in my blood. However I have an info request. I have a part built PDK (nee Crownline) 60113 and want to finish it the way I saw it when it was shedded at Grantham, but I cannot find anyone who does the crest for the post 1950 nameplate. Anybody any ideas for a supplier or how I could create one?

Thanks in anticipation

John

Hello,

I had the same problem with mine, the only people who do them are Guilplates.

They are not in colour but the closest thing you can buy. Don't look half bad at all. :)

Hope that helps

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

I had the same problem with mine, the only people who do them are Guilplates.

They are not in colour but the closest thing you can buy. Don't look half bad at all. :)

Hope that helps

Thanks for that. I will give them a ring as I see they haven't got a site of their own.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Bachmann V2 upgraded as far as I could go without chopping the body to bits. This is horrible body as said so many times before.

Body rubbed down to remove hideous top seam . Re painted New numbers and Lettering as Bachmann use a wierd pale yellow/gold colour and Loco relined and additional lining added to Cab windows using HMRS decals. Front coupling nem pocket filled in.

Wills Chimney
Brassmasters etched Reversing and Ash pan levers. Floor supports and front steps.

Hornby A3 provided Dome, Smokebox Door,Oil box, Superheater Covers , Vacumn return pipe, snifting valve, front buffers, screw coupling and vacumn pipes.

Hornby A4 safety valves

Re glazed , new sandbox fillers, etched cabside sight screens, new lamp irons and front footplate handles.

Real coal ,etched fire irons and brake standards to Tender.

Looks a bit better icon_biggrin.gif even though the Cartazzi truck is derailed in one picture!!

post-7186-0-85071900-1379170483.jpg

post-7186-0-62111800-1379170489.jpg

post-7186-0-51894000-1379170494.jpg

post-7186-0-73867400-1379170503.jpg

post-7186-0-91957500-1379170512.jpg

post-7186-0-20892200-1379170521.jpg

post-7186-0-01592800-1379170597.jpg

Edited by micklner
  • Like 18

I spoke to them about it at last years Scale forum. The chassis is designed to replace the split chassis  V2 - I suspect that the it would fit the current one - though other than for finer scales I wouldn't see the point. The detailing pack, consisted of finer handrail knobs through out, brass turned chimney,  and dome. 

IIRC I felt the detailing pack a little expensive.

The Bachmann V2 is ripe for replacement, though as Tim and Mick have shown the old body can be improved.

Edited by davidw
  • Like 1

Thanks for that, David. I have two of the old split chassis ones and at least one Comet chassis pack for them. Body improvements were what I was especially interested in. Mick has made a nice job of his and TBH, unless you put one next to a really good kit built one I don't personally find it as much of a let down as some.

• Like 1

I spoke to them about it at last years Scale forum. The chassis is designed to replace the split chassis  V2 - I suspect that the it would fit the current one - though other than for finer scales I wouldn't see the point. The detailing pack, consisted of finer handrail knobs through out, brass turned chimney,  and dome. 

IIRC I felt the detailing pack a little expensive.

The Bachmann V2 is ripe for replacement, though as Tim and Mick have shown the old body can be improved.

As you can see from my above list of replacement parts the Branchline pack doesnt cover half the parts used.

I wouldnt personally bother with changing  the handrail knobs the Bachmann version are awful "golf balls" which are recessed into the surface of the boiler etc. If you remove them, all of the holes would need filling and redrilling I would think new handrails would be needed too due to thinner wire needed and either narrower or wider shape on the Boiler.

A real pain to do and repaint. :no:

• 3 weeks later...

The ex NER Loco Coal Wagon Dia. Q1 Loco Coal Wagon was the very first kit I did, and that was because, in NER days, it was painted blue. The next one was the NER Dia. C11 Salt Wagon and that was done because it was, again in NER days, painted Indian Red. No logic there, then. Owen Lancaster, Class O of this parish, made the masters for these two kits, and those for the ex NER Perishable Van and two plank Dropsided Wagon, along with many more. I think that in all we - Owen and I - put together a range of 40 or thereabouts, wagon and van kits covering not only the NER but CR, GSWR, LSWR, LYR, MR, NBR. Happy days!

They all now vest between David Geen, who has expanded the range, and Andrew at Wizard/51L Models. Owen also produced the masters for the original GWR Wagons kitss, again now in David Geen's range. We must also not forget Owen's superb kits of the LNER J77 and Q5 locos.

• Like 1

The ex NER Loco Coal Wagon Dia. Q1 Loco Coal Wagon was the very first kit I did, and that was because, in NER days, it was painted blue. The next one was the NER Dia. C11 Salt Wagon and that was done because it was, again in NER days, painted Indian Red. No logic there, then. Owen Lancaster, Class O of this parish, made the masters for these two kits, and those for the ex NER Perishable Van and two plank Dropsided Wagon, along with many more. I think that in all we - Owen and I - put together a range of 40 or thereabouts, wagon and van kits covering not only the NER but CR, GSWR, LSWR, LYR, MR, NBR. Happy days!

They all now vest between David Geen, who has expanded the range, and Andrew at Wizard/51L Models. Owen also produced the masters for the original GWR Wagons kitss, again now in David Geen's range. We must also not forget Owen's superb kits of the LNER J77 and Q5 locos.

Thank you kind sir ;0) 

Sadly I wasnt modelling Railways in that period and missed them .

The Q5 and J77 look good, sadly I have never seen either for sale in recent years.

You can get other kits these days, Arthur Kimber produces both and I believe Dave Alexander will be making them as well.....

• 5 weeks later...

A couple of Locos re worked/improved

W1 which I last showed with the cab veering towards the sky. After adjustments now much better.

post-7186-0-88170600-1384355742.jpg

Dominion Of Canada with a reworked Tender that now has the chrome stripe in a much better postion than Hornby have managed on their versions.

post-7186-0-44358200-1384355865.jpg

A number of other Locos have stalled at the moment waiting for etched detail parts to complete.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mick

Further to my comments in the Great Gathering set, regarding this Bare Metal Foil. You mention you shaped it into the curve under the valance so I'm guessing it's got quite a bit of give in it?

Looks better than the white Stripe Hornby provide!

Thanks Mick. Would you mind doing some photos of the valancing?

I notice there is different types of bare metal foil, is there a particular version you use?

Very useful

Mick...this going to save me having to buy a Sir Nigel Model.