Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

This afternoon, however, while listening to the closing overs of the Indore Test, I came up with a version that, while not perfect, I like. If it still looks as good next weekend, I'll make a fair copy in ink for the layout.

I was not aware that they played cricket in doors, or even in Dores (nr Inverness). But I was aware that you could be in doors in Dores in Dores Inn!

Lloyd

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

In the end, I didn't start any more points last night, as six will be enough to be going on with for now. By the time I've built, painted, laid, motorised and wired them all, and laid more track beyond them, a few weeks will have passed and I'll be in the mood for another round.

Instead, I started drafting a temporary diagram for the Pentowan point control panel. It took a few goes, what with the double slip and trying to get a reasonable representation of the actual layout, and I wasn't quite happy with the outcome.

This afternoon, however, while listening to the closing overs of the Indore Test, I came up with a version that, while not perfect, I like. If it still looks as good next weekend, I'll make a fair copy in ink for the layout.

I haven’t seen a “fair copy “ since “O” GCE level Latin in 1960 .

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

A good first day at Forestville today, with one point completed over a period of about an hour and a half. I hope to get at least one more done tomorrow.

Plenty of visitors, lots of folk to have a yarn with and some excellent layouts to see - plus some good buys in the way of second-hand station bits and lineside accessories.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Chamby said:

Happy St Piran’s day!

Celebrated with a Sunday roast at the Crown, St Ewe, which just happened to have these on draught...  

BE9171E2-3EB2-4F90-B9F6-08FAED6F92C6.jpeg.9209c9f7a2fd78ab5cc662f938b3c83c.jpeg

Onen Hag Oll.

I've never seen Cornish Best before. Is that a recent addition to the range?

6 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I used to drink Tribute in the Buccaneer at Babbacombe, but then the landlord retired and the ambiance went with him!

I read that as "ambulance"...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

“Cornish Best” is a new one on me too.  They must have introduced it to catch those who just walk into a pub and ask for a pint of your best...  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Chamby said:

“Cornish Best” is a new one on me too.  They must have introduced it to catch those who just walk into a pub and ask for a pint of your best...  

They did a nice one last year to mark the G7 summit at Carbis Bay.  Speaking of Cornish beers how sad it was to hear that Skinner's went bump.  Used to look forward to a pint of Betty Stoggs and a crab sandwich on my visits to my daughter and family in Truro.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Chamby said:

I believe 'best' is a particular type of ale - according to Wikipedia at least, a bitter between 4.2 and 4.7% ABV. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I believe 'best' is a particular type of ale - according to Wikipedia at least, a bitter between 4.2 and 4.7% ABV

Well, this one isn't!

Many breweries sold their own Best Bitter that, in several cases, wasn't. In others it certainly was (is) though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Best at 3.4% is a session bitter or boys' bitter. 3 or 4 pints and you must not drive - but you are unlikely to fall over, either. 

Yes, a few of those to quench your thirst before moving on to the chewier stuff.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, checkrail said:

They did a nice one last year to mark the G7 summit at Carbis Bay.  Speaking of Cornish beers how sad it was to hear that Skinner's went bump.  Used to look forward to a pint of Betty Stoggs and a crab sandwich on my visits to my daughter and family in Truro.

So many breweries seem to be folding at the moment. The pressure on small businesses must be huge.

Don’t let Real Ale die.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Premium

The mass market ‘trendy craft ale’ bandwagon is probably past it’s peak, but real ale will of course survive.  Which might not be a bad thing imho.

As long as we still have PJ on draft locally, all is well!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Chamby said:

The mass market ‘trendy craft ale’ bandwagon is probably past it’s peak, but real ale will of course survive.  Which might not be a bad thing imho.

As long as we still have PJ on draft locally, all is well!

I think that Real Pubs are more at risk. every time I head North I find that more have closed.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Half-an-hour's work tonight saw the fourth point finished, so tomorrow I can clean them up then at the weekend gap them and, weather permitting, spray them. I'm not going to try to lay them before the running session though - too high a risk of rushing and getting it wrong.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
On 06/03/2023 at 10:26, St Enodoc said:

Well, this one isn't!

Many breweries sold their own Best Bitter that, in several cases, wasn't. In others it certainly was (is) though.

Many years ago some u years  after Courage took over Siminds of Reading they introduced something called Courage Best Bitter to the former Simonds pubs.  I suspect that it wasn't brewed in Reading as it tasted  very different from Simonds brewed beers know of which had the soap suds taste of Courage Best Bitter

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2023 at 18:06, The Stationmaster said:

Many years ago some u years  after Courage took over Siminds of Reading they introduced something called Courage Best Bitter to the former Simonds pubs.  I suspect that it wasn't brewed in Reading as it tasted  very different from Simonds brewed beers know of which had the soap suds taste of Courage Best Bitter

My father worked for Anchor Taverns, part of Barclay Perkins, itself taken over by Courage. The Simonds acquisition took the name to Courage, Barclay & Simonds. Simonds also ran a brewery on Malta - Simonds, Farson and Cisk.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

My father worked for Anchor Taverns, part of Barclay Perkins, itself taken over by Courage. The Simonds acquisition took the name to Courage, Barclay & Simonds. Simonds also ran a brewery on Malta - Simonds, Farson and Cisk.

My late Dad spent the last third of his career with The Distillers Company (hence our family move to Edinburgh in 1972). There was, therefore, never a shortage of the Water of Life in our house - which led to my continuing love of the peaty single malts from the islands, especially Islay.

• Like 9