RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My late Dad spent the last third of his career with The Distillers Company (hence our family move to Edinburgh in 1972). There was, therefore, never a shortage of the Water of Life in our house - which led to my continuing love of the peaty single malts from the islands, especially Islay.

Reminds me of a long time ago when my son went to a dance along with most of the rest of his class, after they had received exam results. We had to go 20 or 30 miles away to collect him in the middle of the night, as he was drunk, and the lift that he had would not bring him back drunk. He was used to blended whiskeys, but not to malts. I suggested it was our fault for not giving him malts at home before! It was also a wet night, and the dead flies on my windscreen were getting quite bad, and with the rain, they washed off quite nicely. For a while after that, I would wind him up whenever the dead flies in the windscreen were getting bad, by suggesting that he had better go to another dance and get pissed! We knew that we didn't need to tell him off at all - the hangover was enough.

Lloyd

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Random thought for the day:

Timbering up a 00 A5 turnout takes almost exactly 4ft 8.5in of copperclad strip...

8ft 6 or 9 foot plan track sleepers at each end? Given your period I imagine 8'6...

D

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, drduncan said:

8ft 6 or 9 foot plan track sleepers at each end? Given your period I imagine 8'6...

D

Ah, that's an interesting question, Duncan!

SMP 00 track has sleepers 32mm (scale 8') long. Why so short? Because, visually, what you notice is the projection of the sleeper outside the rails. Hence 32mm sleepers in 00 are equivalent to 34mm (8' 6") in P4, so they look right even though they're wrong. Likewise, on the C&L templates I use, the short timbers that connect to the adjoining plain track are also 32mm long, with the longer timbers in proportion.

This saves me about 60mm of copperclad per point...

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium

The @Barry Os are now on their way home after a very enjoyable stay. As well as Thirlmere, we took them to the Blue Mountains, where they couldn't see anything because of low cloud and fog, and to Wollongong, where we also visited the Sydney Tramway Museum on the way.

Always good to see old friends and we hope it's not another three years before we catch up with them again.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

we took them to the Blue Mountains, where they couldn't see anything because of low cloud and fog,

A photo to help. :-)

260723143_230323BlueMtns.JPG.e38d68c465e2ea02857787209b2a3935.JPG

And something Vivid to cheer you all up.

86967170_230323Vivid.JPG.971237264f466946bad2a7caa914c8b7.JPG

Paul.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Only six more points to build now - the end is nigh!

Then it's on to the Shackleton...

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13

5 hours ago, ian said:

Then it's on to the Shackleton...

That brings back memories of 220 squadron Shackletons climbing out of St. Mawgan over Cornish beaches  in the 1960s . 4 Rolls Royce Griffons labouring under load  with an almost imperceptible rate of climb . I believe they used a rocket or jet assisted take off to lift enough fuel for a 10 or 12 hour sortie . Heroes all .

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Chamby said:

And scenery.....🤭

Indeed. Once everything is running as it should, with ballast, signals and so on, I'll be building more stock - then it will be on to platforms and buildings. After that I'll have to pluck up courage to start the S word (followed, eventually, by the other S word).

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Barry O said:

He really needs a Gannet as well.. the Shack will be lonely otherwise..

Baz

As far as I know, Gannets were only operated by the Fleet Air Arm, mostly from carriers, and not by the RAF. If there were any in Cornwall, though, they would have been based at Culdrose. A pity, as they were a wonderfully ugly aircraft.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry O said:

He really needs a Gannet as well.. the Shack will be lonely otherwise..

Baz

53 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

As far as I know, Gannets were only operated by the Fleet Air Arm, mostly from carriers, and not by the RAF. If there were any in Cornwall, though, they would have been based at Culdrose. A pity, as they were a wonderfully ugly aircraft.

No no, a Gannet like this one:

BR A4 Class 4-6-2 60032 "Gannet", Grantham, Early 1960s.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Apart from Shackletons, which were also supported by a few venerable Lancaster’s, the other squadron based out of St Mawgan was No.22 squadron from June 1956, flying Westland Whirlwinds.

• Informative/Useful 4