Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

These being "what", might I ask.

Meanwhile, congrats on your retirement.

Colin

Thanks Colin. Following on from a previous post, the question was about the ex-H&M point motor coils when used as electromagnetic uncouplers. Sorry if that wasn't clear!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BWsTrains said:

Thx,

That is a clever use of them, I guess only on temporarily but can there be an issue of axle drag?  I'm guessing not if they ave barely enough field to pull the uncoupling pin.

Thanks Colin. Yes, they're activated by a biased toggle switch. DG couplings only need a stright up-and-down movement, unlike Kadees, and I've never experienced axle drag before.

The reason I'm using these is that making more of my own using enamelled copper wire and sewing machine bobbins has become impracticable as the wire is both expensive and very hard to find in sufficient length now.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

18 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Me too - officially as of today, final day at work last Thursday!

I'll add my congratulations to those of others.

For me, I retired 8 years ago at the ripe old age of 56, but rebounded 6 months later into casual employment after spending 24/7 with this stranger that I've been married to for 35 years.

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

... I plan to do as little as possible until I get bored with it, after which I might well do some voluntary work. We shall see.

Tread carefully... the voluntary sector can be even more political than the work environment.  There are great volunteering opportunities out there, but you’ll find plenty of lemons too.

Congrats on your retirement, with a hobby like ours, you won’t look back!

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Chamby said:

Tread carefully... the voluntary sector can be even more political than the work environment.  There are great volunteering opportunities out there, but you’ll find plenty of lemons too.

Congrats on your retirement, with a hobby like ours, you won’t look back!

A cautionary tale .

A close but sadly  , late friend approached a local PHAB ( physically handicapped horse riding centre . My friend was one of the most intelligent and numerate people I know . He had retired from the post of Company Secretary of an international company . 
And what use of him did they make , you ask ? Hon. Treasurer, Senior Financial Adviser ?

Why no , they set him work shovelling horse manure . He quit after a week .

What a waste !

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Now where was I approx 2pm on Monday? Ah - here ...

PXL_20230731_095602913.jpg.05e8705659ead0468a55b9dfafa877f4.jpg

Highly recommended this being retired lark 🤩

Blimey, that’s a lot of snow disappeared since I was last there in mid-summer!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold

John - Belated congratulations on your elevation to the ranks of unpaid domestic labouurers although it certainly has iyts good points as it comes with things like pensions and bad things like not excaping from the Income Tax club.

Voluntary work is indeed tending towards the political and all sorts of weird social conventions in the case of some organisations so I understand.  i got involved with the Leonard Cheshire Trust at one time but once I was given risk assessments to do it started to seem something like what I thought I'd left behind rather than something new and different so I gradually bowed out.   Just goes to show that there can sometimes be a bit too much of making use of skills carried over from  your employed years.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

John - Belated congratulations on your elevation to the ranks of unpaid domestic labouurers although it certainly has iyts good points as it comes with things like pensions and bad things like not excaping from the Income Tax club.

Voluntary work is indeed tending towards the political and all sorts of weird social conventions in the case of some organisations so I understand.  i got involved with the Leonard Cheshire Trust at one time but once I was given risk assessments to do it started to seem something like what I thought I'd left behind rather than something new and different so I gradually bowed out.   Just goes to show that there can sometimes be a bit too much of making use of skills carried over from  your employed years.

Not true in Oz.

Private and State pension earnings and payments mostly are untaxed and there's a generous band of untaxed personal (non-pension) income as well.

PS just in case anyone over there is wondering about the merits of warmer climes, I believe that any foreign pension income is added to any personal income but then I'm not a tax advisor either.  😎

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Not true in Oz.

Private and State pension earnings and payments mostly are untaxed and there's a generous band of untaxed personal (non-pension) income as well.

PS just in case anyone over there is wondering about the merits of warmer climes, I believe that any foreign pension income is added to any personal income but then I'm not a tax advisor either.  😎

I believe this to be the case. However the income tax free limit is $18,200 then 19% tax rate until $45,000, currently 32.5% from there to $120,000, but only 30% from next year all the way to $200,000. Oh what a problem to have!

Pensions (superannuation) here are taxed at input (15%) all returns (earnings) within the pension are tax free, as are payments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3