Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

As some of you already know, following my retirement earlier this year I'm taking the opportunity to start a longish trip to the UK this week, to catch up with family and friends. It's been five years since my last visit, for obvious reasons, and long overdue.

I'll be at the Singapore Cricket Club Rugby Sevens this weekend then, once I get to the UK, I'll be staying in Co Durham, Sussex, the West Midlands, Yorkshire, Dorset, London and Edinburgh before returning just before Christmas.

Of course, the timing of the trip allows me to visit three model railway shows - Newcastle, Brighton and Warley - where I'll wear my RMweb name badge, so if you spot me feel free either to have a chat or, if you prefer, ignore me and pass by on the other side.

Anyway, all that is by way of explaining why there's been no action here for the last couple of weeks. Rest assured, though, that I'll be posting occasionally during my trip and, once I'm home again, getting back to preparing the Real Railway and the Paper Railway for our first running session using the full main line and branch sequence in January.

Wish me luck, especially as I plan to do most of my internal travel by train...

Not able to take in the South Hants MRC show in Portsmouth on the 18 November? It’s usually a cracking one day finescale bonanza….

And just to kill the mood I’ll be demonstrating the dark arts of 3D printing there…

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Sainty

I don't want to put a downer on your visit but when you come to play with Sheffield Exchange, Soloby hasn't seen a train since 1960 ☹️

Is there a pony and trap available from the nearest surviving station ?

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Is there a pony and trap available from the nearest surviving station ?

Adrian

Hi Ardian

It would be more useful than the bus service. Last week I had a few days away, I arrived in Lincoln just before 2 pm, the first bus to Louth was at 4.15pm.

Cleethorpes and Skegness might be a tad nearer. There is no direct bus service to Cleethorpes, so Grimsby becomes the nearest station to catch a bus from.

There is no Skegness service, I would have to change bus at Mablethorpe. 

Market Rasen station might be physically closer but to get to Louth you have to change buses at Grimsby, so might as well stay on the train to Grimsby.

To get my village by bus, if I arrived on a Tuesday in Grimsby there is a bus to Mablethorpe that goes through my village.

• Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

If you are doing Warley on the Saturday I will be there demoing something or other that far too modern with DEMU, so please come by and say hello. 

I'll be in the demo area too, although whether I'm actually demoing or just talking b0ll0cks remains to be seen...

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, drduncan said:

Not able to take in the South Hants MRC show in Portsmouth on the 18 November? It’s usually a cracking one day finescale bonanza….

And just to kill the mood I’ll be demonstrating the dark arts of 3D printing there…

Duncan

That's the day I"ll be at the Brighton show, Duncan. Another time...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll be in the demo area too, although whether I'm actually demoing or just talking b0ll0cks remains to be seen...

I have a plan.... just saying like.. I have a spare weathering apron....

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I’m aiming to assist you with the latter.

Paul.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My Northern Odyssey is now well under way.

After a great week in Singapore, based around the SCC 7s of course, catching up with a number of former colleagues, other friends and Veronica's family, I arrived at a grey and wet Manchester Airport on Wednesday morning. A Northern 323, TPE 185 and LNER Azuma got me to Darlington an hour late due to sundry landslips but otherwise in comfort and without drama.  The weather brightened up as we emerged from Standedge tunnel too.

My son-in-law picked me up from Bank Top and drove me to their home in Shildon, where I'll be based for the next week.

Regrettably, the Newcastle show this weekend has been cancelled, so I won't get the chance to see Grantham or any of my old mates that were going to be there, but there will be lots more model railway action over the next few weeks. In the meantime, my granddaughters are going to take me to Locomotion and, in return, I plan to take them to Beamish (which I haven't visited since 1976).

More soon.

Have a great time oop north!

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

a grey and wet Manchester…

Is there any other kind of Manchester?*

In the meantime, my granddaughters are going to take me to Locomotion and, in return, I plan to take them to Beamish…

Hope you enjoy Locomotion - I certainly did when we visited earlier this year - and can we have a detailed report on Beamish? I haven’t been for years either (though not as many as have passed since 1976) and we keep saying we should take the offspring: it’d be nice to know your thoughts!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Regrettably, the Newcastle show this weekend has been cancelled

Good job I didn’t stay over an extra day to call in on the way back home!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Tortuga said:
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

a grey and wet Manchester…

Is there any other kind of Manchester?*

Well, we say that if you're at Old Trafford and you can see the Pennines it means it's going to rain in the next twenty minutes.  If you can't see them it's because it's p***ing down. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, checkrail said:

Well, we say that if you're at Old Trafford and you can see the Pennines it means it's going to rain in the next twenty minutes.  If you can't see them it's because it's p***ing down. 

Ditto Swansea and Ilfracombe, Bargoed and Aberbargoed etc etc!

Paul.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My Accurascale Manor has now arrived in Sydney via Kernow but I won't get a chance to play with it until nearly Christmas. If all is well it will replace the old Replica/Bachmann model before our next running session.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

My Accurascale Manor has now arrived in Sydney via Kernow but I won't get a chance to play with it until nearly Christmas. If all is well it will replace the old Replica/Bachmann model before our next running session.

Yo Sainty

Don't retire the old Replica model, run both of them.

Yesterday a nice man from DPD delivered one of Mr Accurate-scale's English Electric type 3's, I intend to just add it to the fleet of various makes of Class 37s I already have. No matter how better the detail is on the newer models when over the other side of the room and it pulling a train a Tri-ang type 3 or my new Accurascale type 3 both look like a type 3 pulling a train. Over the years I have found making a model railway fun to operate is more important than having drain cocks on the fuel tanks of a model loco (which you cannot see unless you turn the loco over). I suppose we all have our own priorities.

• Like 6
  • Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Sainty

Don't retire the old Replica model, run both of them.

Yesterday a nice man from DPD delivered one of Mr Accurate-scale's English Electric type 3's, I intend to just add it to the fleet of various makes of Class 37s I already have. No matter how better the detail is on the newer models when over the other side of the room and it pulling a train a Tri-ang type 3 or my new Accurascale type 3 both look like a type 3 pulling a train. Over the years I have found making a model railway fun to operate is more important than having drain cocks on the fuel tanks of a model loco (which you cannot see unless you turn the loco over). I suppose we all have our own priorities.

Thanks Clive.

I am indeed thinking of keeping the Rep/Bach one until it finally gives up the ghost, as if any of the other 4-6-0s fails in traffic I'll need a spare loco or two as contingency (another Hornby Grange is also on the cards in this respect).

• Like 10

On 09/11/2023 at 21:53, St Enodoc said:

My Northern Odyssey is now well under way.

After a great week in Singapore, based around the SCC 7s of course, catching up with a number of former colleagues, other friends and Veronica's family, I arrived at a grey and wet Manchester Airport on Wednesday morning. A Northern 323, TPE 185 and LNER Azuma got me to Darlington an hour late due to sundry landslips but otherwise in comfort and without drama.  The weather brightened up as we emerged from Standedge tunnel too.

My son-in-law picked me up from Bank Top and drove me to their home in Shildon, where I'll be based for the next week.

Regrettably, the Newcastle show this weekend has been cancelled, so I won't get the chance to see Grantham or any of my old mates that were going to be there, but there will be lots more model railway action over the next few weeks. In the meantime, my granddaughters are going to take me to Locomotion and, in return, I plan to take them to Beamish (which I haven't visited since 1976).

More soon.

Only four weeks to go and I will be back in North Yorkshire. Shildon is a forty minute drive for me and I will be visiting. There have been major changes with the new hall nearing completion if not already finished by now. I have a week before my wife arrives to do all my train stuff. I fly into Manchester and go straight to the show. If in Darlington you can look at the new P2 shed. If the doors are open you can see progress. It is on the opposite side of North Road to the museum. Take Burtree lane off the A68 Shildon Road and it brings you into Darlington passing the new works, where it becomes Bonomi Way.

I was going to suggest in place of Newcastle try the permanent layout display at Orsmby Hall, in Middlesbrough, but I have just checked. It is closed this weekend for Christmas preparation

http://www.ormesbyhallmrg.co.uk/

Enjoy you stay. 

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Only four weeks to go and I will be back in North Yorkshire. Shildon is a forty minute drive for me and I will be visiting. There have been major changes with the new hall nearing completion if not already finished by now. I have a week before my wife arrives to do all my train stuff. I fly into Manchester and go straight to the show. If in Darlington you can look at the new P2 shed. If the doors are open you can see progress. It is on the opposite side of North Road to the museum. Take Burtree lane off the A68 Shildon Road and it brings you into Darlington passing the new works, where it becomes Bonomi Way.

I was going to suggest in place of Newcastle try the permanent layout display at Orsmby Hall, in Middlesbrough, but I have just checked. It is closed this weekend for Christmas preparation

http://www.ormesbyhallmrg.co.uk/

Enjoy you stay. 

Mike Wiltshire

Thanks Mike. As the weather's fine today, we're going to Beamish instead - my first visit since 1976.

The new hall at Locomotion looks complete structurally but other work is still going on. We might visit tomorrow, in which case I'll report back.

I have acquaintances with connections to both the P2 project and Ormesby Hall but I think I'll run out of time this trip, as I'm heading south on Thursday.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good opportunity to go model shop visiting. A lot of model shops in the North East. I have four all in a half hour radius of UK North East home. Already have the bits list for Peter's Spares with added benefit of tax free.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1