Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

This is interesting!

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/port-of-par-bagnall-tanks/

Not really needed for the existing MCL but I do have ideas for a future exhibition layout featuring a small dock inspired by Charlestown. With that in mind, I had bought a Hornby Peckett to convert to a representation of one of these little Bagnalls. Now I won't need to bother.

I'll probably go for the yellow one.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Is the opening of the new facility likely to be the opportunity for a more logical progression? 

Bils, Hals, Lavs, Cors, Bufs, Puls and Pans were everyday Brighton Main Line fare when I was numbersnatching more than 60 years ago....... 

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Is the opening of the new facility likely to be the opportunity for a more logical progression? 

Bils, Hals, Lavs, Cors, Bufs, Puls and Pans were everyday Brighton Main Line fare when I was numbersnatching more than 60 years ago....... 

CIGs, BIGs, VEPs, VEGs, and CAPs when I was there from 1983-85.

All I know about the new building is here:

https://www.locomotion.org.uk/about-us/our-future-vision-2025

https://www.locomotion.org.uk/what-was-on/new-building-exhibition

Looks promising but we will have to wait and see!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Later we went to Locomotion, which I enjoyed but found the layout of the exhibits somewhat random with little structure. Anyone who didn't already know a bit of railway history would have found it impossible to follow. Surely a progression from old to new would make more sense?

What is now known as 'Locomotion' was only ever planned and built as a glorified warehouse as an NRM spillover, somewhere to house additional rolling stock under cover. That it is now regarded as a museum in its own right is really down to it being a victim of its own success, undoubtedly helped by it being free entry in a part of the country with one of the lowest standards of living in the UK.

Whilst I'm sure exhibits could be laid out better, I think it's a case of 'I wouldn't start from here' if it were to be re-worked as a history of the railways.

Best railway museum I've ever been to in terms of 'telling the story'? Californian State Railroad museum in Sacramento. You simply couldn't do anything remotely approaching that at Locomotion.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

6 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

What is now known as 'Locomotion' was only ever planned and built as a glorified warehouse as an NRM spillover, somewhere to house additional rolling stock under cover.

I did wonder if that was the case when we visited. It did have that wonderful workshop “storage and restoration area” feel to it - you know, the part of the preserved railway where all the spare stock/projects awaiting restoration are shoved out of the way and the public aren’t allowed to go because of ‘Elf and Safety’?

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

It was also tricky to photograph the stock…

I know what you mean. I’d been looking forward to have a poke around the LNWR G2 when we visited, but all I managed to see of it was this:

IMG_3816.jpeg.80f88d0eebc0b229a50e9bbd7f893c3a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

What is now known as 'Locomotion' was only ever planned and built as a glorified warehouse as an NRM spillover, somewhere to house additional rolling stock under cover. That it is now regarded as a museum in its own right is really down to it being a victim of its own success, undoubtedly helped by it being free entry in a part of the country with one of the lowest standards of living in the UK.

Whilst I'm sure exhibits could be laid out better, I think it's a case of 'I wouldn't start from here' if it were to be re-worked as a history of the railways.

I didn't know that - it does make sense. Things weren't helped by the absence of a guide book, which I was told is being updated for the opening of the New Hall.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I did wonder if that was the case when we visited. It did have that wonderful workshop “storage and restoration area” feel to it - you know, the part of the preserved railway where all the spare stock/projects awaiting restoration are shoved out of the way and the public aren’t allowed to go because of ‘Elf and Safety’?

That's a good way of putting it.

2 hours ago, Tortuga said:

I know what you mean. I’d been looking forward to have a poke around the LNWR G2 when we visited, but all I managed to see of it was this:

That central section with three closely-spaced tracks was the most frustrating. I've no idea what was in the middle of the centre track on Sunday.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Similar comments apply to the “reserve collection” shed at the main NRM.  Others have said that it’s really boring, however, when I went round with a friend/colleague/former boss, we had a great time because between us we knew what a lot of the stuff was and could remember it from our yoof.

Paul.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Similar comments apply to the “reserve collection” shed at the main NRM.  Others have said that it’s really boring, however, when I went round with a friend/colleague/former boss, we had a great time because between us we knew what a lot of the stuff was and could remember it from our yoof.

Paul.

To be fair, I didn't find Locomotion boring - just frustrating, especially when trying to explain things to my 10-year-old granddaughter.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

To be fair (2), the Locomotion 'stock shed' is the focal point of a wider, heritage trail site that IS quite well done ... or at least, WAS ... telling the tale of the birth of the railway age in the North East. The enclosed pix are from previous years (2013 & 2016) 'high days' in the summer, when the demonstration line was operating to its full extent. The heritage trail path is alongside and takes you down nearer to Shildon village where the Hackworth house contains informative displays, including the history (and demise) of the nearby wagon works ... or at least, DID ...

Sadly, some of the above is in the past tense. Due to the deteriorating condition of the coal drops (best seen to the right of 'Joem' - the arch opening should be vertical and butresses sloping - not the other way round!), the demo line has been cut back to the crossing and the Hackworth house seems to have closed for redevelopment(!) since before Covid. I THINK there's a concerted effort going on to get things brought back up to scratch for S&D200 but I don't actually know for sure (a brief internet search just now didn't reveal too much).

Maybe a case of an awkward Science Museum (London) vs local council finance & politics situation ...

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

IMG_6743.JPG

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

a wider, heritage trail site that IS quite well done

I was going to do some of the heritage walks but not in this weather...

With luck, things will be sorted in time for Railway 200 https://railway200.co.uk/ and S&DR200 https://www.sdr200.co.uk/ but I have to say there's not much evidence around the town yet that many folk know anything about those!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2023 at 11:56, St Enodoc said:

CIGs, BIGs, VEPs, VEGs, and CAPs when I was there from 1983-85.

All I know about the new building is here:

https://www.locomotion.org.uk/about-us/our-future-vision-2025

https://www.locomotion.org.uk/what-was-on/new-building-exhibition

Looks promising but we will have to wait and see!

obviously the Science Museum have missed the bit about what was going on at The Round Foundry in Leeds (mind you Leeds City Council have decided Engineering history is something to hide for some reason!)

Sad that there have been no updates on progress etc..

BAz

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 09/11/2023 at 22:53, St Enodoc said:

My Northern Odyssey is now well under way.

After a great week in Singapore, based around the SCC 7s of course, catching up with a number of former colleagues, other friends and Veronica's family, I arrived at a grey and wet Manchester Airport on Wednesday morning. A Northern 323, TPE 185 and LNER Azuma got me to Darlington an hour late due to sundry landslips but otherwise in comfort and without drama.  The weather brightened up as we emerged from Standedge tunnel too.

My son-in-law picked me up from Bank Top and drove me to their home in Shildon, where I'll be based for the next week.

Regrettably, the Newcastle show this weekend has been cancelled, so I won't get the chance to see Grantham or any of my old mates that were going to be there, but there will be lots more model railway action over the next few weeks. In the meantime, my granddaughters are going to take me to Locomotion and, in return, I plan to take them to Beamish (which I haven't visited since 1976).

More soon.

Any chance a tin or two of paint could be added to your list of goodies you are buying? 👀

Hope you have a wonderful time John, pity about Newcastle. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

Any chance a tin or two of paint could be added to your list of goodies you are buying? 👀

Hope you have a wonderful time John, pity about Newcastle. 

Depends what type of paint. Email me with what you want.

PS I have two coach kits for you - you can collect them at our next running session on 20/1/24/

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Depends what type of paint. Email me with what you want.

PS I have two coach kits for you - you can collect them at our next running session on 20/1/24/

I shall, thanks John, I have a friend coming over in March that’s going to have a suitcase full for me but I’m in desperate need of one in particular. 

Oooh, thank you very much. Either I’ve lost track of what I’ve purchased or lost completely forgotten what someone has given me. 🤣 

What are your coach kit and paint mule rates these days? 

Edited by Jesse Sim
  • Like 2

We should start a business. I have this lot on its way to me for transport to Manchester in a few weeks time. The intended recipient prefers the complete wagons from Bygone rather than the part bodies from 247......as long as I am flying home and save them the postage.

Mike Wiltshire

Michael.jpg.78fb24894f5ec44c9b348e6491b681bf.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Jesse Sim said:

I don’t leave the house for anything less than three anyway. 

Those of us of a certain age (or more) can no longer do that even if we wanted to!

Paul.

Edited by 5BarVT
Fat fingers
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8