Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Barry O said:

What gauge is the distance between the inside rail and the "support"rail? EM???

Baz

Ha ha, not quite. The distance from the outside of the running rail to the inside of the guard rail is the height of a piece of SMP rail, about 1.9mm, and the thickness of the running rail is about 0.9mm. The "gauge" is therefore about 16.5+0.9+1.9 = 19.3mm. The guard rail top surface is also about 0.5mm higher than the top of the running rail.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

and here's a close up of the running-on and running-off ends at the Up end of the viaduct.

Interesting that only the running on end had a ‘ramp’.  I would have thought that a ramp on both ends would be appropriate for SLW.

Really rather nice.

Paul.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Ha ha, not quite. The distance from the outside of the running rail to the inside of the guard rail is the height of a piece of SMP rail, about 1.9mm, and the thickness of the running rail is about 0.9mm. The "gauge" is therefore about 16.5+0.9+1.9 = 19.3mm. The guard rail top surface is also about 0.5mm higher than the top of the running rail.

About P4 then, only a bit wide.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 5BarVT said:

Interesting that only the running on end had a ‘ramp’.  I would have thought that a ramp on both ends would be appropriate for SLW.

Really rather nice.

Paul.

Interesting, isn't it? Information on these guard rails is not easy to come by and apart from the actual dimensions in the GWR Permanent Way Notes, which are available from Keith Norgrove's website http://www.norgrove.me.uk/, the rest is anecdotal/empirical. For example, as far as I can establish (and I hope I'm right!) the guard rails on bullhead track were only fitted on the outermost rail of double tracks. Why? Dunno. I also read somewhere, but I can't for the life of me remember where, that guard rails were only needed on ballasted non-masonry viaducts but there is plenty of photographic evidence to the contrary, for example Barmouth Bridge and Trenance Viaduct outside Newquay.

I'm happy with what I've got now, or will be once the brackets are in place. It's not something you see every day on a model and even though it is impressionistic rather than finescale I rather like it.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

About P4 then, only a bit wide.

If I had a guard rail on both sides the "gauge" would be about 22.1mm. Slightly too wide for Ireland/Victoria but not far out for Indian broad gauge (or S scale, come to that).

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, manna said:

G'Day Folks

Going 'Southern' eh, REP's and VEP's ...................good oh.:P

manna

If I were to go that way, which I'm not, it would be CIGs and  BIGs on the Brighton line.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 5
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Another non-work day today, so I put it to good use by fitting the little brackets to the viaduct guard rails.

I had to trim the C-shaped section from the back of each bracket, as that was just too tall to sit under the guard rail in its new configuration. This left just the main L-shaped section and the little gusset, which was handy for picking the brackets up with tweezers.

1115820436_20200526001viaductguardrailswithbracketslookingUp.JPG.4d995bb2ea52bd0c9f28907e978428d1.JPG

Because the brackets are purely cosmetic now, the strength of the bond to the sleepers is not so important so I used Multigrip (UHU) instead of the All Plastic Fix. That saved a lot of time and mess.

519093540_20200526002viaductguardrailswithbracketsUpend.JPG.9f8c95fabac134bd47c5cb7ff5cb2cc8.JPG

Some of the brackets stick up further than the others because they are sitting on solder fillets where the fishplates are fixed to the sleepers. Once the glue has dried completely I'll trim the all the tops so that they're level with the top of the guard rails. The whole assembly will then be ready for painting.

After lunch I went back to the old St Enodoc baseboards and recovered the last four points. While doing this I found two more uncouplers, which will still be needed at the new St Enodoc but in different positions, so I tested them (they were both good) and put them to one side. All the other St Enodoc uncouplers will be in the same place as before.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
On 24/05/2020 at 09:57, teaky said:

:offtopic:

I am concerned that Baz has broken lockdown and is in Western Australia!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-52787152

I have not done a "Cummings" so that weather has nowt to do with me! As it is no rain here for over a month so my garden is parched (no rain as we have nor cricket to cause it!)

Baz

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Assuming you'll have riser poles from each bracket, have you assessed clearance for locos ?

Do you mean stanchions for railings Stu? They will be further out, on the viaduct sides themselves when I build them. There is nothing else to go on the guard rails now except a coat of brown paint. See this photo:

http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk/uploads/7/6/8/3/7683812/sid-59-1057-western-chieftain-hayle-viaduct-11th-april-1973-copyright-sid-sponheimer_orig.jpg

I have indeed checked for clearance with the guard rails spaced as they are and everything should be fine, as long as there are no rogue pieces of stock hiding somewhere, waiting to catch me out.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have not done a "Cummings" so that weather has nowt to do with me! As it is no rain here for over a month so my garden is parched (no rain as we have nor cricket to cause it!)

Baz

Interesting that that word is acceptable to the RMweb censor, whereas the bit in the middle of that place-name near Manchester that has (along with Chester-le-Street) no cat on a seat is not.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Since working from home started a couple of months ago I've had time to do some little odd jobs as well as the big tasks on the layout and working on rolling stock. Yesterday evening, over a year since it arrived and nearly a year since I put it into service, I fitted some of the details to D601.

I was going to fit more than I did but, frankly, I couldn't get on with the little pipes at all. The vacuum and steam pipes didn't really look right and the others (control air pipes?) were so fiddly that in the end I left the lot off. I did fit the steps, which got rid of the rather large void under the buffer beams; the jumper receptacles; drawhooks (and shackle at the non-coupling end); the extra central lamp brackets; and the headcode discs. All these were fixed in place with either cyano, liquid poly or UHU.

I also fitted Fox nameplates, which are longer than the Kernow ones and, to me, look less squashed-up. I didn't bother with the etched builder's plates though

Pretty much my experience John so you're not alone. I got most of the pipework onto the leading end but as you say some of it doesn't  look right. No matter, at least we have the loco and when the offending pipes fall off  I'll replace them with something more robust. Incidentally I splashed out on two Ark Royals. One of them is now Active - pun not intended!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I was busy doing other things today, so not much train time - just enough to trim the tops of the brackets level with the top of the viaduct guard rails. They're ready for painting now. I'll do the viaduct and the rest of the bare timbers, sleepers and rails at Porthmellyn Road at the same time.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3