Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Thanks.

Is that for the narrow windows? It sounds a bit small for what I need.

The spaces I've got to fill are 16mm tall by 27mm wide which would be for a pair of windows between each of the upright posts.

IMG_20210301_2017504_rewind.jpg.b5e2b7b4d83beea1a5f8fba1c16e0c03.jpg

Ah, I thought you meant the small ones that arrived yesterday. I'll check the big ones tonight.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Ah, I thought you meant the small ones that arrived yesterday. I'll check the big ones tonight.

Right, Nick, here we go.

The long windows (with five sets of panes - a double, a single and a double) are 87mm long overall. The double sets are each 34.5mm and the single is 18mm long.

The short windows with one double set of panes are 34mm wide, because the upright at one end is narrower than the other.

The narrow windows with one double set of condensed panes are 19.5mm wide. Again, the upright at one end is narrower than the other.

All the windows are 21mm tall.

Hope that helps.

I've no idea whether you can buy these separately from the kit though - best ask Peco direct.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Right, Nick, here we go.

The long windows (with five sets of panes - a double, a single and a double) are 87mm long overall. The double sets are each 34.5mm and the single is 18mm long.

The short windows with one double set of panes are 34mm wide, because the upright at one end is narrower than the other.

The narrow windows with one double set of condensed panes are 19.5mm wide. Again, the upright at one end is narrower than the other.

All the windows are 21mm tall.

Hope that helps.

I've no idea whether you can buy these separately from the kit though - best ask Peco direct.

Thank you. That's very helpful.

I will try printing out your photo to those dimensions and see how it fits.

I suspect the Ratio windows are probably to the more common window sizes for GWR signal boxes whereas those for Cholsey were a few inches narrower. Anyway it's worth a look. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

Thank you. That's very helpful.

I will try printing out your photo to those dimensions and see how it fits.

I suspect the Ratio windows are probably to the more common window sizes for GWR signal boxes whereas those for Cholsey were a few inches narrower. Anyway it's worth a look. 

The Ratio 552 GWR signal box kit was, as far as I know, designed round the existing Midland Railway kit roof moulding so it may well be that the window sizes are something of a hybrid as a result.

The sketches were all drawn on 1mm graph paper so that might be a more accurate way to scale your prints.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

The Ratio 552 GWR signal box kit was, as far as I know, designed round the existing Midland Railway kit roof moulding so it may well be that the window sizes are something of a hybrid as a result.

The sketches were all drawn on 1mm graph paper so that might be a more accurate way to scale your prints.

Thanks.

I would like to give the Ratio ones a try but I suspect I will end up creating the windows with my Silhouette cutter (once I get that going).

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

Hi dude. Have you encountered these little gems?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/fairpricemodels

Hope you don't mind? I have used these and they are ACE; inexpensive, simples to fit and look great.

Stay safe.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I was aware of their corridor connections through reading other topics here but I didn't know they did all that other stuff. Filed for future reference.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

With all that going on I clean forgot that yesterday was St Piran's Day. So I will, belatedly, wish one and all:

"Gool Peran Lowen Onen Hag Oll"

(shamelessly copied from the Kernow MRC newsletter - apologies to Hayley).

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

I had a good session today tidying up and cleaning the railway room - the reason being that, barring any adverse changes to Government restrictions and guidelines in the meantime, our next scheduled running session, on Saturday 20/3/21, will go ahead.

I'm not going to count my chickens other than to say that, having attended yesterday the first BRMA Sydney area meeting for exactly a year (since the 2020 Forestville show, which I believe was the last live exhibition in Australia), it's clear that we are all itching to assuage our pent-up thirst to play trains.

As part of my tidy-up I repaired my venerable Tri-ang Wheel Cleaning Brush, which had been out of action for several years, and cleaned some loco wheels. I also graphited the new Branch track, so I think we are now good to go.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Sorry I can't be there.. hope it goes as well as the last one.. hopefully thecoperators will enjoy the new operational opportunities.

Baz

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good news in yesterday's emails - the Modratec lever frame for St Enodoc is on its way South from Queensland.

Overall, it's got about half the components of the Porthmellyn Road frame, so in theory it should take about half as long to build. However, it's now three years since I built the earlier one and I've forgotten much of how I did it, so who knows?

Anyway, I need to complete the trackwork at at Enodoc first, so I suspect that I'm unlikely to get the frame built and installed before the end of the year.

In other news, I started measuring up for Porthmellyn Road platforms this afternoon. I've done a fair bit of homework poring over old photos to see how the buildings and station furniture at Par related to each other and I've translated that to an initial plan. Given that Porthmellyn Road is not a replica of Par; that it's compressed lengthwise; and that I intend to use Rick @Gwiwer's old Treheligan Junction station buildings I think that the first try has gone quite well. I've set out the main buildings temporarily on the layout and we'll see what the team thinks next weekend at our running session. In the meantime, I might make a card mock-up of the signal box to complete the picture.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A pleasant afternoon testing (yes, really) today. I ran every train that's already made up at Paddington and Penzance, plus the long china-clay train that's currently parked on the branch, together with all the spare locos. I ran  them for at least one full circuit in each case. Everything worked pretty well and only a few locos needed wheel-cleaning. A smaller number also needed their pickups tweaking - now that the Tri-ang brush is back in use I can test the pickups on every axle by pushing each wheelset to the limits of its lateral motion, to check that it doesn't lose continuity. A couple did but they don't now.

The other purpose of the testing was to see whether the loss of control from the command station recurred. It didn't - over about three hours - which is very encouraging.

With that out of the way I'm now looking forward to a cleansing ale, a nice drop of wine with dinner, then the Brumbies and Reds in Super Rugby AU and finally the highlights of today's America's Cup races (so no spoilers please!).

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the perfect day. In fact I'm going to copy it (but no rugby here, will watch Paris-Nice instead, although I'm sure you consider it soppy :)).

I was going to complain at the lack of photos from your session, but I know how taking photos can disturb the pleasure of just running trains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have spent the past two weeks reading up on your thread and layout: I love it! I haven't even started my layout yet, but if it turns out even half as good as yours ill be happy. By the way, I'm from Eastbourne where around page 100 somewhere you said you used to live here! Keep up the good work, cant wait to see the new lever frame and some scenery going down :sungum:

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Sounds like the perfect day. In fact I'm going to copy it (but no rugby here, will watch Paris-Nice instead, although I'm sure you consider it soppy :)).

Six Nations Rugby this afternoon, highlights of Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico this evening!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Killybegs said:

Six Nations Rugby this afternoon, highlights of Paris Nice and Tirreno Adriatico this evening!

Yes, John, I didn't mention that I will record the Six Nations overnight and watch tomorrow morning - so definitely no spoilers there please!

By the way, I think that this post carries the number of the fastest steam loco in the world so here's a shout out to my virtual mate Phil @Mallard60022.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

The base of the mock-up is at cork level and the next line up marks the level of the platform surface. Although overall the model is shorter than the prototype at Par, I think it conveys the right impression.

So do I. It has that slightly squat feeling making it different to the normal ‘type 7’ box.

Paul

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

So do I. It has that slightly squat feeling making it different to the normal ‘type 7’ box.

Paul

Thanks Paul. It's the "squat" look that I'm after. I think that once it's set into the platform it will look about right.

Oh, and well done on making the Flying Scotsman post. A few more and it will be Graham @LNER4479's turn...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nope. It's a little square thing that plugs directly into the USB socket on the laptop.

Yes, and there is a space in the mouse to store it...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1