Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Sunday is the day to go, after lunch it empties out and is often a pleasure to navigate then because the do at least provide huge wide aisles.

That's when I shall be there this w/e.

I've been persuaded by some pals to go to Warley for the first time in 15 odd years and yes, we are going on Sunday. Fingers crossed for a good day out and a look at the KMRC D600s!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did you make it onto a flight? Or are you still in the fair city of Melbourne?

Time to spare, go by air. 3.5 hour delay so I got home at about 2200 last night and went straight to bed.

I know stuff happens and the airlines can't control it (SYD down to 1 out of 3 runways all days due to gales) but there was absolutely no communication whatsoever. As a Qantas frequent flyer I normally get a string of texts and occasionally emails telling me to check in, etc. Yesterday - nothing. Furthermore, their website had a banner message that suggested checking the flight status page, which I did right up to when I left the office at about 1400, when it was showing no delays. Arriving at the airport 30 minutes later the delay was 3 hours - how does that work?

The last straw was the complete absence of any apology whatsoever from the flight crew or the cabin crew before, during or after the flight.

An utter disgrace.

• RMweb Gold

Happy Friday John (Saturday morning here).

Yes - England by >10.

Yes its definitely Friday now!

I am inclined to agree with you.......although if they could actually click for 80 minutes rather than 2 x 20 minute segments it could be more.......its actually a rather well balanced team.

Unlike you, I cant record it. Yet again, I am reduced to reading live updates in the Telegraph and Guardian......how sad is that?

Cheers

John

• RMweb Premium

Time to spare, go by air. 3.5 hour delay so I got home at about 2200 last night and went straight to bed.

I know stuff happens and the airlines can't control it (SYD down to 1 out of 3 runways all days due to gales) but there was absolutely no communication whatsoever. As a Qantas frequent flyer I normally get a string of texts and occasionally emails telling me to check in, etc. Yesterday - nothing. Furthermore, their website had a banner message that suggested checking the flight status page, which I did right up to when I left the office at about 1400, when it was showing no delays. Arriving at the airport 30 minutes later the delay was 3 hours - how does that work?

The last straw was the complete absence of any apology whatsoever from the flight crew or the cabin crew before, during or after the flight.

An utter disgrace.

Obviously Qantas are employing ex Boeing Allways senior staff....the current CEO communicates by Twitter.. awful!

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes its definitely Friday now!

I am inclined to agree with you.......although if they could actually click for 80 minutes rather than 2 x 20 minute segments it could be more.......its actually a rather well balanced team.

Unlike you, I cant record it. Yet again, I am reduced to reading live updates in the Telegraph and Guardian......how sad is that?

Cheers

John

That's too bad. All the internationals are being broadcast here on cable, on a channel called BeIn Sport. They take the feed from whoever is broadcasting it live in the UK/Europe and Foxtel, our cable TV provider, rebroadcasts the matches here as part of the sports package that I already subscribe to, so all I have to do is record what I want to see then get up early on Sunday to watch.

• RMweb Premium

This afternoon I turned on all the electrics for an extended test. I ran the short china-clay train round the Down Main continuous run and occasionally operated a few points in the loops. Everything was stable with no interruptions to either train or point operation over a period of about an hour and a half. This was a good sign. I'll try again tomorrow, for longer if possible, and if everything is all right after that I think I will be able to conclude that last weekend's problem was solved by the command station battery change and/or reset. I will then recreate the five macros that were lost as a result of the reset, after which everything will be back to where it was before.

To pass the time I laid the final six short pieces of Peco track for the Paddington loops.

post-21039-0-32567900-1543040480_thumb.jpg

Here they are, ready for wiring up and then setting out more trains. I will recycle five of the points from the old St Enodoc fiddle yard for the fan at this end of the Paddington loops and a further five for the corresponding end of the remaining Penzance loops. The remaining ten points in the corner under the train describer will have to be new builds.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

That's too bad. All the internationals are being broadcast here on cable, on a channel called BeIn Sport. They take the feed from whoever is broadcasting it live in the UK/Europe and Foxtel, our cable TV provider, rebroadcasts the matches here as part of the sports package that I already subscribe to, so all I have to do is record what I want to see then get up early on Sunday to watch.

Video recorder set for Italy v New Zealand, England v Australia and Wales v South Africa. I won't bother with the others.

This afternoon I turned on all the electrics for an extended test. I ran the short china-clay train round the Down Main continuous run and occasionally operated a few points in the loops. Everything was stable with no interruptions to either train or point operation over a period of about an hour and a half. This was a good sign. I'll try again tomorrow, for longer if possible, and if everything is all right after that I think I will be able to conclude that last weekend's problem was solved by the command station battery change and/or reset. I will then recreate the five macros that were lost as a result of the reset, after which everything will be back to where it was before.

To pass the time I laid the final six short pieces of Peco track for the Paddington loops.

attachicon.gif20181124 001 Paddington loops 8 to 13 plain track complete.JPG

Here they are, ready for wiring up and then setting out more trains. I will recycle five of the points from the old St Enodoc fiddle yard for the fan at this end of the Paddington loops and a further five for the corresponding end of the remaining Penzance loops. The remaining ten points in the corner under the train describer will have to be new builds.

YEY ! Nuff said 

G

• RMweb Premium

Video recorder set for Italy v New Zealand, England v Australia and Wales v South Africa. I won't bother with the others.

I've only watched England v Australia so far. I'm not sure that I'll have time for the others.

First half - rubbish. A scrappy, nervous 40 minutes with both sides unable to hold on to the ball and enlivened only by a couple of flashes of individual brilliance.

Second half - what must have been a good talking-to by both coaches resulted in a much better performance all round.

Result? Not saying, as others might not know yet.

• RMweb Premium

In between soldering the droppers to the Peco track on Paddington loops 8 to 13 and doing some other odd jobs around the house, I left the system switched on for about four-and-a-half hours today. Every so often I moved a loco and changed some points. There were no issues during that time so I shall consider the case closed and put the cause of last weekend's problems down to instabilities in the command station settings arising from an expired battery. Lesson learned - change the battery every year whether it needs it or not. At about $4 a go that will be money well spent.

Once the droppers were soldered there won't be any more soldering above the baseboards in this area, so I set out all the spare serviceable locos on Paddington loops 8 and 9. Next, I sorted out the spare stock at Penzance. Most of this came from the old St Enodoc layout so won't be needed until the branch is built. I placed those items at the ends of the Penzance and Paddington loops to leave the Penzance baseboards clear for tracklaying. The rest will be needed for the next stage of the sequence when all the storage loops are commissioned, so I placed all the loose goods wagons and spare brake vans together then set out the remaining coaches and vans, as far as possible, according to the sets in which they will operate. There is still a good deal of stock to get out of boxes before this task will be complete.

post-21039-0-61939300-1543129275_thumb.jpg

post-21039-0-82176800-1543129304_thumb.jpg

Here is the new track with its occupants, first looking Up and then Down

One thing that this exercise has confirmed is that I need to build the stock storage shelves above Paddington and Penzance sooner rather than later, probably as soon as I have laid the Peco track on Penzance loops 2 to 7. That might be a Christmas holiday project, together with fitting and connecting the Line Clear Release switches at Paddington and Penzance - we shall see.

post-21039-0-91162700-1543129345_thumb.jpg

Finally for today I replaced the first draft of the lever leads with the second draft. These are printed in three blocks of 18 with the spaces at the beginning and end of the frame and between the lever bays included. I think they look neater than the first draft. I'll leave them in place until it's time to paint the plywood round the lever frame, after which the permanent versions will be installed.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

An utter disgrace.

Qantas have apologised for the lack of text messages regarding the delay - good.

They didn't mention the lack of information on the website or the lack of apologies from the crew - not so good.

• RMweb Premium

Hope everything is ok at home after the deluge.

Baz

G'Day Folks

Hope you didn't get flooded.

manna

Thanks Baz and Terry. As Barry knows we are about 200 m up, on a ridge, so if we get flooded then a lot of other folk would have somewhat bigger problems. Everything is fine with no damage as far as we can see.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We were busy doing other things for most of the weekend but I did manage to grab an hour or so in the railway room this afternoon to measure up the locations for the stock shelf brackets at Paddington. These brackets have to be screwed to the wall studs, so I marked the centres of the studs on the cork between loop 1 and the wall. I decided to locate the bottom of the bracket 60 mm above the cork or approximately 57 mm above rail level, so that it is clear of the top of the trains.

Given the dimensions of the brackets and the shelf material (which I bought yesterday on my way back from the joint BRMA Sydney area group/NSRMA meeting) and a surface of 3 mm cork to stop stock rolling about too freely, the top of the shelf will be about 387 mm above the cork and therefore about 1581 mm above the floor. This will be a convenient height for lifting stock on and off the shelf, make it easy to see the stock (according to my ergonomics/human factors colleagues the 50th percentile Australian male eye height, including footwear, is 1645 mm) and leave plenty of room under the shelf to wield a soldering iron or other tools when necessary. The shelf will of course have a low fence all the way round to prevent Tay Bridge-style disasters.

I will also move the computer to the left hand end of the Paddington shelf to get it off the baseboard and out of the way.

There will be a similar shelf at Penzance but for this I will need to attach upright posts to the rear of the baseboard, as it isn't practicable to attach the shelf to the garage roller door.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Lesson learned - change the battery every year whether it needs it or not.

My friend David, the NYC man, has told me that he plans to give his command station a Christmas present of a new battery every year - what a great idea.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Is it double-sided like the old one?

oh yes! It means another 200 seats or so, hostility area, large conference facilities etc. But not the cheapest seats for the Ashes!

Baz