suspending model layout from ceiling

This is something I have thought would be good to try as I have limited space.

Fixing your layout from the ceiling and then lower it onto a table to use. If so how did you go about doing it so everything was safe, and how did you fix it safely in the raised position.

• RMweb Gold

this has been done safely using a pulley system but the only slightly tricky bit is getting all 4 corners to raise and lower simultaneously. ISTR an article in the model railway press about one such layout. There was a firm marketing a system that was specifically aimed at model railways a while back but I can't find it at present. If you google model railway pulley system a few "how I did it" videos come up

I always fancied this idea but that was as far as it got.  If you Google 'pulleys'. 'Model Railway' etc there are quite a few links to other forums.  There is a reference to an article in march 2013 Railway Modeller which I have not been able to verify.

There are warnings about weight and the need to use a proper 'block and tackle' system.

I had concerns about the weight myself - I am thinking that you would need four strong steel eyes that were fixed through the ceiling to the floor beams / roof trusses above.  A layout in the garage might be another option - lowered onto trestles?  It might be a small detail but you would need to ensure that the lifting ropes / chains were perfectly vertical.  Otherwise there will be an unbalanced horizontal force which might just crush your layout or tear it apart during lifting.

I shall watch this thread with interest.

Good luck

Ray

• RMweb Premium

I did this for my kids bedroom layout many years ago.  I used what are called Creel fittings which are available from ironmongers (Though you can probably google them.  I put a pulley on each corner to give more mechanical advantage then lead all four ropes back to the same corner.  I anchared the creel fittings into the ceiling using 3" screws into the ceiling joists.  I was able to pull all four ropes at once (I tied them together and the whole layout used cto come up and down evenly.  Even if one corner got a bit lower than another it all evened out when the layout was down on its supports.

Jamie

The original RM article was at least 10 years ago, I seem to recall it was in a dining room and was raised by a winch, there was a lot of modification to the room including sliding door, new light fittings plus the installation of the winch mechanism in the ceiling above.

I did this for my kids bedroom layout many years ago.  I used what are called Creel fittings which are available from ironmongers (Though you can probably google them.  I put a pulley on each corner to give more mechanical advantage then lead all four ropes back to the same corner.  I anchared the creel fittings into the ceiling using 3" screws into the ceiling joists.  I was able to pull all four ropes at once (I tied them together and the whole layout used cto come up and down evenly.  Even if one corner got a bit lower than another it all evened out when the layout was down on its supports.

Jamie

Do you mean keel rollers?http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Boat_keel_supports.html

• RMweb Premium

I know them as creel fittings that my in laws used to sell for suspending creels from kitchen ceilings for drying the washing.

This link gets you to a source for the pulleys.

http://www.castinstyle.co.uk/section.php/2/1/pulley_clothes_airers___traditional_clothes_airers___ceiling_pulley_airers?gclid=CK_pkJKD-sICFcPMtAodt2wAjA

I bought a variety of double and single pulleys and a cleat for tying the ropes to on the wall.   There are pribably cheaper sources of supply.

Jamie

IWe had a 8ft by 4ft layout using a LTM Layout Lift to store it suspended from the ceiling in our small guest room, it worked great although the room could have been bigger.

I have dismantled it as we use the room more often and not all our guests liked the idea of a railway suspended above their head.

The following link will take you to the blog on RMweb

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/561/entry-3760-graces-layout-using-a-ltm-layout-lift/

regards Eddie

Ps forgot to add this link

http://www.liftturnmove.co.uk/PDF/layout_lift_datasheet.pdf

This is something I have thought would be good to try as I have limited space.

Fixing your layout from the ceiling and then lower it onto a table to use. If so how did you go about doing it so everything was safe, and how did you fix it safely in the raised position.

Get some professional structural advice first please. I have seen many "modifications" to properties for hobby use over the years, and if not carried out properly can lead to invalidation of house insurance at best or structural damage at worst.

Mike

... how did you fix it safely in the raised position.

That's a real concern. I would want nothing less than a minimum of two removeable support beams across the room positively locating on brackets in the side walls, so that the layout is not suspended on the ropes when stored, but resting on the beams.

For greatest mechanical efficiency in construction of the board - lightest possible weight - the rope attachment points should not be at the corners of the rectangle, but at the cantilevering points for both length and width. Without analysis, for lowest construction weight of a simple rectangle, I would guess these should be about 20% of length and width inboard. That avoids any risk of the unsupported centre folding, as the loading is near balanced about the support points. The framing can taper from maximum thickness at  support point to minimum at the edges. Weight saving may well be significant in enabling the final construction to be readily lifted and lowered safely.

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago Stafford Railway Circle acquired a layout from a modeller in Cannock who had passed away.

His Son asked the club to dispose of the layout which was suspended on four pulleys, one at each corner of the layout.

It was very unstable and legs were clipped at each corner before lowering to a operating height.

The layout was tidied up and we donated to a local special school which included delivery and setting up for them.

The pulleys are still are still in the club store room if any ones interested in them, perhaps a donation to a local charity would be in order

Terry

I'd be a bit sceptical about this - it seems like a good idea .....but..  Googling for suspended model railway produced this:

Which is some hefty kit.  I just don't see it for a main room. There must be better ways - a removable lightweight top so it can double as a table?

Could you do it the other way round - raise the floor and create a space to have a sunken railway that rises on scissors lift? Obviously the pit would have a cover.

It isn't going to be cheap

Archived