'Bishop Street'

georgeT

DONT MENTION SIGNALS, my worst nightmare is still to come, although I will only have a Red and Green on the Platform ends, (why? because I'm and lazy Bodger).

All the best with your Signalling mate.

Morning George

There is a way I've thought of. If you have signals that can just display yellow and red on the platforms then if you want to put any further signals in between there and the fiddle yard then you can. A red and green only signal is usually a section signal which means there is normally a long section ahead before encountering the next signal. As I mentioned before these are normally replacements for semaphore signals. Although it can happen, it's rare for a section signal to be cleared for performing shunt moves as these are normally carried out within station limits.

The route I drive over from Leicester to Peterborough has quite a few red & green only signals but they are all operated from manual boxes and are out in the sticks. As soon as you get into the stations though like Melton Mowbray and Oakham they either revert to semaphores or any intermediate colour lights are three aspect.

For instance coming into Melton Mowbray I get the following signals:

Semaphore distant

Semaphore outer home

Semaphore intermediate home

Three aspect colour light

Two aspect colour light Red / Green section signal.

Melton box then has an intermediate block section that comprises of a colour light distant (green / yellow only) then a colour light IBS signal which is red and green only.

One thought is how about having a manual box and mixing up semaphores and colour light which would then make the two aspect signals more prototypical. That would mean you could have semaphores on the end of the platform and then have you're red / green colour lights as the section signals before the line disappears into the fiddle yard.

Alternatively could you make a three aspect signal head but only wire in a yellow and red LED as I'm guessing it's the wiring up that's the issue. At least with that method it would look prototypical.

Have a think about it and let me know what you would like and I will signal the plan accordingly.

Cheers

Marcus

You have sussed me out Marcus hahahaha its the wiring that l find hard, all the wiring diagrams are mind boggling to me, don't forget l am 63 hahahahaha, don't really fancy semaphore signals so hopefully someone can explain a three light signal / switch drawing, Cav has helped but even his diagram took a lot of working out, cheers buddy......

What l enjoy most is running locos with one or two wagons behind gently moving through the station and dissapearing, rather than having a terminus where everything stops and has to return back to where it came from, that was the theory behind BS, and l want to add as much detail as l can put in, you don't need ten coach trains running round, so l only need one coach, as that is all you will see appear at the end of the station, the loco will then come off and run around its train and pull it away... the 156 / 158s will do the through passenger work...

Hi Mate, the reasons you state above for not wanting a Terminus are the very same reasons that I wasn't happy with the early plans for Ferry St. Now with the Branch added and a Loco Yard so that one Loco can come off a train and another go on will give a lot more interest, and also the fact that they will arrive and depart from the Docks Branch and the Main line also help operationally.

Hi George,

I buy the 3-aspect signal switches from Railroom Electronics. If you look through the listings of miniature togglee switches, they are there clearly marked (Item number: 100545).

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Switches/Miniature-Toggle-Switches/Product-82830.aspx

Adrian from Railroom also puts a nice easy diagram in for the wiring too

Here it is:

post-14906-0-79958600-1430719941_thumb.jpg

Picture © Railroom Electronics

Hope that helps

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Jinty ;-)

Hi George,

I buy the 3-aspect signal switches from Railroom Electronics. If you look through the listings of miniature togglee switches, they are there clearly marked (Item number: 100545).

http://www.railroomelectronics.co.uk/Switches/Miniature-Toggle-Switches/Product-82830.aspx

Adrian from Railroom also puts a nice easy diagram in for the wiring too

Here it is:

attachicon.gifDPDT wiring001.jpg

Picture © Railroom Electronics

Hope that helps

No connection just a satisfied customer.

Jinty ;-)

That looks simple mate.

Guess l will have to learn how to wire up 3 aspect signal as Marcus has said, makes sense if l want the details to be right, Neil l bought a green/red signal from train-tech very expensive l think it was about £23, as you say they just plug in, but l cant stand having to punch all the numbers in every time you want to use them, plus the ones l am building only cost pennies to make as l have all the stuff to build them in my drawer...

post-7716-0-34194400-1430754497_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-20411600-1430754500_thumb.jpg

hahahaha forgot to explain the board, l have decided to make the fiddle yard have cassettes, will be easier to manage the higher section will be the re-fuelling point and the lower is the fiddle...

post-7716-0-63911800-1430757263_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jack l am sticking to a way thats works for me, l will add smaller sleepers if needed between the large ones but they seem nice and sturdy, l have so many bits and bobs left over from previous projects l need to use them up, and saving money too...

post-7716-0-63005500-1430774163_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-24619400-1430774191_thumb.jpg

For Three aspect signals George you want to use a continuous rotary switch. You can then have the aspects arranged on it in sequence. So if showing red turn clockwise one click to show amber, turn one click more to show green, click again back to red. If you pass the signal at amber you just turn back anticlockwise and it will be red again. Easy as pie and you dont get wierd pass throughs ie with a 3 way toggle. With those if you are on green you have to switch the signal back through amber to get it back to red. Ok it will be a very small ficker of the amber as it whizzes by but spoils the illusion for me at exhibitions when I see this happen.

Thanks for that Cav, the problem is with that method is the control panel end  ? l would have to make a bigger panel, but if l stick with the three way switch (which l have not tried yet) it could stay the same...thanks again for all the help you have given me in the building of BS...

Archived