Class 33 Green FYE

Guest 40-something

Guest 40-something

Hi Folks

A question on 33's, I know a couple of 33's ran in green FYE as in D6570, but did any run with just the front panel in yellow with the cabside windows in original white livery (as shown on this 27)

Further did any run in Green with double arrows and pre-tops numbers?

Thanks in advance

Double arrows no, coaching stock roundel, yes, 6570 did though possibly on one side as it hasn't got them in your link, but it is in the 1972 combine.

There were actually lots in GFYE, at least 30 examples, all well photted. As for panels, it's complex but some never got panels at all, some did, many as stated went GFYE and several never got yellow at all until they went blue. Here is one of Grahame Wareham's superb shots of what you are after. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263115463/in/set-72157627812692593

• RMweb Gold

Double arrows no, coaching stock roundel, yes, 6570 did though possibly on one side as it hasn't got them in your link, but it is in the 1972 combine.

There were actually lots in GFYE, at least 30 examples, all well photted. As for panels, it's complex but some never got panels at all, some did, many as stated went GFYE and several never got yellow at all until they went blue. here is one of Grahame wareham's superb shots of what you are after. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6263115463/in/set-72157627812692593

Not strictly true as 33008 ran in green with arrows as one of its many guises courtesy of the boys at Eastleigh in the late 80s and early 90s. But as for the pre TOPS era so far none have shown up here, but we do have many gems for the forthcoming Looking back at Class 33 Locomotives.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Carroll's site has quite a few 33s with small panels :-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/2577751383/in/set-72157603653307095

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/2176213952/in/set-72157603653307095

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/5439890860/in/set-72157603653307095

I couldn't find any with double-arrows , green livery and yellow panels that I could be certain about.

• RMweb Premium

Just gone back through the remaining records I have which are by no means exhaustive.  No record found of any 33 in the variant worn by 5347 per post 1.  My memory also wishes to confirm that no 33 ever wore that variant.  They were either small panel (with some variation notably on 6530) or full yellow plus cab window surrounds.  

There's no arguing over the fact that quite a few of the class wore one or other (and some both IIRC) applications of yellow. But again none in my records nor from memory wearing both green and a BR double arrow. 

I must be confused, because on reading the first post in the thread initially, I thought the question concerned 33s with FYE but the yellow being restricted to the cab fronts and not continued around the cab side windows.

Edit, to add the links seem to show SYP locos in green.

• RMweb Gold

Yes but I am unconcerned with the liveries applied in the 80s and 90s as they aren't real so to speak!  Arrows on green was a Doncaster peculiarity in the main though examples of 23, 24, 27, 31, 37 and 55 all appeared like it

Sorry Russell, just answering the question. Eastleigh men joked that 33008 weighed half a ton more than her classmates due to the constant touching up of paint she under went along with all the livery variations she carried.

Now back to the 1960s, a number of Class 33s went straight from all over green to blue full with yellow ends as they were part of the programme of converting locos to push pull operation for the Bournemouth and Weymouth projects. In the forthcoming book Looking back at Class 33 Locomotives we can see how the application of full yellow ends and the over painting of the white stripes around the cab windows was carried out at a combination of depots it seems, and would you believe Crewe Works too as a few were visitors there in 1968/9 for some reason. Answers appreciated if somebody knows why a couple went there for repairs, as did E6027 a few years later not long before it was smashed up in the early 70s. We have seen a shot of D6582 (coincidently my last Crompton, never did get D6502) outside Crewe Works after a paint freshening up with a full yellow front freshly applied, now whether it was just repainted over having been applied beforehand we don't know, but it does look like the green around the cabsides has just been touched up too. A simlar shot was published in Looking back at Sulzer Locomotives of D6570 at Derby, but in this case she was just visiting, having been blessed with full yellow ends beforehand to her green livery. Hither Green may have repainted a couple of 33s with full yellow ends as they supplied locos for railtours with full yellow ends, and there was still some pride back then on bulling up locos for such duties even in the later part of the 60s.

Anyone else have anything to add please?

Kevin

To add to the above. I don't know why but as Kevin says, several 33s went direct from all over green to Rail Blue. Not just connected with push pull though, large numbers were all over green until the mid 60s. Others had panels and about a third of the class GFYE.

Only two were ever repaired at Crewe, the aforementioned 6582, repainted 4th Feb 1968 and 6539, repainted 31st October 1968, that, according to Crewe Works paint shop records, was that. I had assumed they'd be blue but they are unreported as blue elsewhere for about a year after. A Crewe peculiarity to release ex works locos in green.

The records also list that members of classes 71, 73 and 74 were done here but annoyingly not which ones, E6027 I had heard about and I'm sure I have seen a few phoptos of others but nothing more than that.

Yes you are right, apologies. Errmmm, the short answer is 'not as far as I know!'  I think all GFYE examples had the yellow round the cabside windows. But I may be wrong...

I must be confused, because on reading the first post in the thread initially, I thought the question concerned 33s with FYE but the yellow being restricted to the cab fronts and not continued around the cab side windows.

Edit, to add the links seem to show SYP locos in green.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As far as I know none got the treatment seen in the phot of D5347. One variation I seem to remember reading one or two may have had was to retain the bodyside stripe below the cab side windows after they received full yellow ends - can anyone confirm or refute this?

As far as I know none got the treatment seen in the phot of D5347. One variation I seem to remember reading one or two may have had was to retain the bodyside stripe below the cab side windows after they received full yellow ends - can anyone confirm or refute this?

Do you mean something like this?

post-4697-0-06534000-1424820129.jpg

• RMweb Gold

To add to the above. I don't know why but as Kevin says, several 33s went direct from all over green to Rail Blue. Not just connected with push pull though, large numbers were all over green until the mid 60s. Others had panels and about a third of the class GFYE.

Only two were ever repaired at Crewe, the aforementioned 6582, repainted 4th Feb 1968 and 6539, repainted 31st October 1968, that, according to Crewe Works paint shop records, was that. I had assumed they'd be blue but they are unreported as blue elsewhere for about a year after. A Crewe peculiarity to release ex works locos in green.

The records also list that members of classes 71, 73 and 74 were done here but annoyingly not which ones, E6027 I had heard about and I'm sure I have seen a few phoptos of others but nothing more than that.

Crewe works. 21/12/69.

E6102.

E6032.

E6018.

Also, slightly off topic;

D6996.

Mike.

There's a phot of 6582 outside Crewe Works in Rail Portfolio 6, 'The Cromptons', taken on 26/01/69. It's in green with what appear to be freshly painted yellow ends, bufferbeams and bogies / underframe. The body and roof are fairly tatty except for the engine room door. Oh, and it retains white stripes on the cabsides.

I've spent a few hours trawling books and the web and have found phot's of 6518, 6563, 6568 & 6582 in green with full yellow ends but retaining cab side stripe. No sign of any with white cab side windows.

Some variation with 6562, 6570 & 6592 all featuring full yellow ends but with green edges on the front (as if the small yellow panel had been extended upwards. Early repaint D6579 had the same style fronts in blue.

Archived