Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

The industry could use any combination of boxcars and reefers (1950's would be a mix of ice and mechanical cars).  If you wanted to use gons (a mix of 46 and 52-6 cars) one could say the overhead crane is inside the building and spot the gons inside (inbound to the inside spot, outbound to the outside spots).  It might be coil or sheet steel in gons inbound (company that makes appliances or metal stampings) or coils of wire (company that makes nails, bolts or other hardware).

If you are modeling the winter you will have a footpath worn in the snow beside the cars, so a couple feet outside the the ends of the ties.  There would be a broom next to the switch to clean out the points.  The only area plowed clean would be where there is truck/road traffic.  The tracks would have a up to a couple inches of snow above the rails other than where the people walk.

Daniel - Definately a good idea!

Dave - Yes I will go with sheet steel or coiled wire for the gons. So a lot of snow still on the ground between the rails and areas not really accessed. Excellent. What would you recommend for the best snow product?

Jack - I thought about a slip point a la Box Street, but I went for the diamond as it reduces cost and means I don't need so many point motors and switches. Plus a slip takes up more room.

Edited by Robatron86

Both Woodland Scenics and Noch make snow effects. There was an Alpine layout at exhibitions up here in the frozen North - which had large snowcovered area with skiers, chairlifts etc - they used bare plaster, and simply painted it with white-wash - giving it another coat when it started to look dirty!

If it's a furniture factory, you'd get a Gon spotted there for extended periods for the workers to fill with wood waste, smashed open boxes, metal crate banding, failed builds, etc.

The great thing about that is that you'd have to work around it - once it's in place you could have a "do not move" or "return to spot" type order on it, so either you have to avoid moving it at all, or if you needed to move it to switch cars you need to make sure it goes back to where you found it - depending on the order on the car, of course. :)

I wouldn't think you would have a gon loaded with waste unless the waste was worth something.  For example an industry I served recieved gons of steel rods and milled them into axles and drive shafts.  They had a gon outside the building to load the shavings to be sold as scrap.  The wheel true machine at the rail yard at N Platte has the same thing.  A chute coming out of the building that shavings dumps into.

I wouldn't necessarily think wood would fall into that category, unless it was sawdust which would be a different type of gon than a regular mill gon.  I would think the waste would be burned in the plant furnace (especially in winter) or trucked out.

I have never modeled snow, so I have no experience with what material work best to replicate it.

Dear Daniel,

Quick reply whilst I remember - I'm gonna go back over this thread and read it all from the start - but if you are planning urban switching in winter, you should totally get an etched brass manhole cover and stick a small smoke machine under it to represent steaming sewers!  :D

Been and done, google "Brooklyn : 3AM"... ;-)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

• Like 1

So tonight I did a quick mock up of the layout:

20150111_230104.jpg

It seems I have most of the track already available - bar the crossing - and it all seems to work.

In other news, I have been experimenting with some weathering.

20150111_230043.jpg

20150111_230032.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Weathering is best done in light coats and gradually build up to heavy.  A little weathering goes a long way.  Look at a picture of a car, notice what the weathering is, and then copy those effects.  I like to start off with about half what I think its should be.  Its easy to add weathering, its really hard to "clean" a car.

• Like 1

The boxcar was done with light washes, mixing the original box car colour that I matched into the wash to tone it down. I have seen several box cars on the SF in this condition. Not completely ruined but dirty.

Edited by Robatron86

So I had the urge to paint something:

20150114_212204.jpg

This to be precise. I got this as part of a job lot a while ago.

I decided it wasn't far off this:

865.jpg

So in one evening:

20150114_232647.jpg

Not bad. My caboose transfers appear to have taken leave, so I when I find them I will finish it.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 1

Latest pictorial update:

20150124_194025.jpg

The board has been topped with thick art card, track position finalised, and building and road positions sketched onto the board.

I've decided not to attempted a traverser, instead I am borrowing Shortliner Jack's idea and building a double Peco lift. Much easier!

• Like 1