Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

Well my post contained 3 sets of decals. Santa fe cabooses 1910-1970 (to properly finish my one off), Santa fe tank cars 1950-1980 and CBQ 40ft boxcars.

I started on the boxcar.

It started out as an Accurail Great Northern in this livery:

gn33216.jpg

After an hours work:

20150520_221734.jpg

(Apologies for the poor pic quality)

I also purchased some weathering powders on Daniel's advice.

20150520_222351.jpg

Just to experiment with for now. Let's see how it goes!

• Like 2

I got one of these envelopes this week too!  :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Glad you decided to give powders a try, I'll be watching your progress. :)

Parcels (yep, parcels, plural!!) due for me this week...   :declare:  :jester:

Nice great big ones.... :locomotive:

Wallet & plastic suffering... :(

My bank account can't survive the battering I've given it over the last few months. I've had to do overtime for a month to replenish what I've spent and I'm not even half way to putting that money back!

Bad Dan, BAD!

Don't you just hate it when you go into a model shop to pick up some Milliput, and you walk out with something else:

20150605_132812.jpg

I had this on pre-order at Model Junction, and it arrived in store yesterday....very bad boy!

I did pick up some Milliput as well....

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 2

Don't you just hate it when you go into a model shop to pick up some Milliput, and you walk out with something else:

20150605_132812.jpg

I had this on pre-order at Model Junction, and it arrived in store yesterday....very bad boy!

I did pick up some Milliput as well....

It would be nice to have a local model shop that I could walk into and pick up anything suitable for US modelling - says he who has just visited the local sorting office and ransomed a Blair Line LLC kit - It has taken 5 days to worm its way through the ParcelFarce customs charge department

It would be nice to have a local model shop that I could walk into and pick up anything suitable for US modelling - says he who has just visited the local sorting office and ransomed a Blair Line LLC kit - It has taken 5 days to worm its way through the ParcelFarce customs charge department

Trust me Jack, having a shop within driving distance is both a blessing and a curse. Did you get hit with a charge for it?

Of course! I must have mis-read that! That does look good I have to say. I do like Blair Line stuff. I have some of the self adhesive fans and vents and they do finish off a building kit nicely. Their stuff and BLMA are two great go to manufacturers for detailing bits. 

• Like 1

- It has taken 5 days to worm its way through the ParcelFarce customs charge department

Jack:

Just five days ? You lucky boy !!

Last time the small loco I had bought needed seven WEEKS to find the way from Frankfurt/Airport to Mecklenburg (customs office) and back to Hessen, where I live…

(You know where Mecklenburg is? Outmost north-east spot of Germany! And Frankfurt LIES in Hessen…)

And I had to apologize to the seller in the US !!

Armin

No wonder that these days so many US-sellers refuse to post to Germany.

Yes, Armin - maybe I am lucky -  what annoyed me was that it took 3 day from seller in USA to Heathrow and on to customs and then it sat about waiting to get the charges sorted - with no tracking details to say what happened after Heathrow - and to really upset me - it said it had been delivered to destination (my address)  at 0758 this morning - err sorry "NO!" it was at the sorting office awaiting the ransom to be paid!

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Awful when that happens, isn't it? Model junction is pretty local to me, too. Should go for a "browse" sometime...

Could be expensive! :O

I went into model Junction yesterday to pick up a loco that I've had on pre-order since December and walked out with an NCE Powercab too!

I've enjoyed reading through your thread seeing your project steadily progress: I need to sort myself out with a small layout to run my stock on.... but I've been saying that for years now!

• Like 1

Lloyd - Been a Hampshire man most of my life! Spent 16 years in Aldershot. Only recently moved a few miles down the road into Surrey. I do hope you come along, would be nice to put a face to the name.

Chris - It was you who took the last Powercab then! Stuart had said that they were the most popular dcc controllers they stocked.

I'm glad you enjoy reading my thread, and that it inspires you :)