Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

That colour looks fine to my eye Rob and it should all blend well once its toned down. Thanks for the explanation of the water tanks, I thought it was for use in case of a fire outbreak in the building!

All the best,

Lloyd

Rob - have you tried pastels on the concrete sections? Rub some white and black powders over the paint and blend them in with your finger?

Might give it a more varied, less uniform look. :)

That building does look pretty kick ass though bud! :D

That link is very helpful Dan. I will give that a go, and try and source some pastels.

I'm glad people are liking the look of the building. Once weathered it should look perfect.

20150422_063418.jpg

Window frames and glazing added. Steps, handrails and loading dock also added. Nearly ready for weathering.

• Like 2

The building really looks the part now Rob. Does the building have a company name at all you could possibly add to the right hand stairwell top or water tower like the one HERE (scroll down to the fifth photo or so).

All the best,

Lloyd

These should help for background flats and adding signs to the buildings:

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?128328-Paper-and-Card-Structures

http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?114404-More-Signs-for-Your-Layout

To add the signs to buildings, print them out on standard paper, then sandpaper the back of the sign until the sign shows through the paper, then use them like decals onto the brickwork - being so thin they allow the brickwork textures to show through and makes it look like they are painted on the side of the building. :)

There are tutorials on how to do it online if anyone needs a better description! :D

• Like 1

So a lot of things have been going on.

The main building has a name (you'll be glad to hear Lloyd :)):

20150505_234155.jpg

I received these 2 for my birthday:

20150504_143105.jpg

Another 2 buildings have appear at the right of the layout:

20150508_215744.jpg

The first one is the Centennial Mills kit, and the other is the other half of the American Supply kit.

And finally, I picked up these 2 Atlas Trainman kits:

20150508_215942.jpg

Not a massive flurry of activity, but getting there.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

Thats looking brilliant now Rob! Its great to see it all coming together now and really start to have some character. :good: The warehouse looks even better with some signage now.

All the best,

Lloyd

I do like the end piers at the edge of the board, under the road bridge. I'm really not keen on the "diving board" look some of these have where the end of the bridge just hangs in mid-air at the baseboard edge.

I manage to get the link working! I have been looking for a greyhound to sit on the bridge. Model Junction had some a little while ago, but of course I didn't buy them then, and now they are no longer in stock!  :banghead:

Thank you Nick. I would love to be at TVNAM this year, but I can't wait for Florida. It is a tough call  :jester:

If you'll have me, I'm definitely available for TVNAM 2016!

• Like 2

I manage to get the link working! I have been looking for a greyhound to sit on the bridge. Model Junction had some a little while ago, but of course I didn't buy them then, and now they are no longer in stock!  :banghead:

Thank you Nick. I would love to be at TVNAM this year, but I can't wait for Florida. It is a tough call  :jester:

If you'll have me, I'm definitely available for TVNAM 2016!

I'll put you on the list.