Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

• 3 weeks later...

While I wait for my brain to make up its mind on the next project, I thought I would sink my teeth into extending TYS.

IMG_20160807_215155.jpg

34 inch by 12. Why 34? The original board is 62, so by going for 34 gives us exactly 8 ft. I like nice even things. The board os constructed exactly how the original was, just 5 odd years apart.

On the left is the continuation of MPB and Empire storage that end TYS. Then in the middle at the back is some classic tenements, then a main road with some generic shop fronts.

• Like 3

First look with the extension.

20160814_134713.jpg

I will be getting another stand. Because the board wasn't really designed to be extended, the board ends aren't easy to modify, so I am using some aluminium "L" to line up the boards and just a couple of g clamps to hold it together. Quick and dirty, but it works.

• Like 2

First look with the extension.20160814_134713.jpg

I will be getting another stand. Because the board wasn't really designed to be extended, the board ends aren't easy to modify, so I am using some aluminium "L" to line up the boards and just a couple of g clamps to hold it together. Quick and dirty, but it works.

From Chicago to Saskatchewan :-)

The scenery isn't up to much, and frankly the track plan is very disappointing...I'll get my coat...

*cue artsy fartsy mode* I try to, you know, be minimal in my work. Track is soooo overated. I'm inspired by such artists as Ellsworth Kelly and Sol leWitt. You have to open your mind. Imagine your own trackwork and scenery. It then becomes personal to you. I don't like being constricted by what society thinks of as a good trackplan or good scenery. That's so blasé.

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 1

*cue artsy fartsy mode* I try to, you know, be minimal in my work. Track is soooo overated. I'm inspired by such artists as Ellsworth Kelly and Sol leWitt. You have to open your mind. Imagine your own trackwork and scenery. It then becomes personal to you. I don't like being constricted by what society thinks of as a good trackplan or good scenery. That's so blasé.

That's my nomination for Post of the Year.

I think 90% of the board (including me at the moment) are even more minimalist than that. Who wants something so bourgeois as a baseboard?

Actually, I do have some wood, rail, etc. In homage to Tracy Emin, I have "unmade bed".

Do I get the Turner Prize?

I'm sure it will be nominated and have a price tag of eleventy billion pounds  :jester:

I'm assuming the next outing for Tilley will be at the Tate Modern then.

I'm still awaiting an invite from them....

There's art and there's ART:attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

That is beautiful, and how I would like my car float layout to look, when I actually get round to making it....

That's my nomination for Post of the Year.

Woohoo! I got a vote! Proper piste artist me  :paint:

The extensions debut will be at the Barnstaple Exhibition next July. The layout will be available with or without it for other shows.

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 1

In other news, I was bored last night and wanted to build something. I have quite a lot of the Lakeview Warehouse kit left, most of it was butchered to make the loco servicing building on North Valley, so I have bashed a building together with what's left. I sadly suspect it is too modern for the TYS extension.

20160815_002203.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed Dan. I hadn't done much until today to be honest, my "round toit" was broken!

20160829_194120.jpg

Manly clamp holding it together.

Despite the new board being built to the same dimensions and of exactly the same wood, it required two layers of art card to make the track level.

20160829_194145.jpg

In keeping with the spirit of TYS, I am using sectional track again.

20160829_194204.jpg

And it works. Box car in distance for testing.

20160829_194240.jpg

Now that the track has been laid, I can bring the extension into the house to work on over the Autumn and Winter months.

• Like 3

post-6688-0-08664100-1472983692.jpg

Rob, I seem to remember you were modelling a lineman up a pole - came across this today - sorry the definition isn't wonderful but it was an avatar on another forum - I have increased the size as much as I dare - hope it is useful

Edited by shortliner

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to Gordy of this parish, I have some more rolling stock:

20161101_215010.jpg

Blue Box Athearn El Capitan and Grand Canyon reefers to bring the fleet up to 4.

20161101_215126.jpg

Blue Box Athearn Quad hopper (with the current Walthers version).

20161101_215151.jpg

Blue Box Athearn single dome ATSF tank car.

All have had their knuckles and wheels changed.

The layout is at the Poole and District exhibition this Sunday. If you are in the area, do pop in and say hello.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Gordy of this parish, I have some more rolling stock:

20161101_215010.jpg

Blue Box Athearn El Capitan and Grand Canyon reefers to bring the fleet up to 4.

20161101_215126.jpg

Blue Box Athearn Quad hopper (with the current Walthers version).

20161101_215151.jpg

Blue Box Athearn single dome ATSF tank car.

All have had their knuckles and wheels changed.

The layout is at the Poole and District exhibition this Sunday. If you are in the area, do pop in and say hello.

As do I!   No pictures yet as they are arriving home piece by piece.