Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

Say hello to the latest recruit:

20161202_195915.jpg

The Baldwin VO-1000. Already hard at work. Made by Ajin for Stewart Hobbies and fitted with a Canon motor. Smooth, but noisy out of the box, but nothing a bit of running in won't cure.

And my god! Adding the handrails! So many! It still needs its exhaust and horn painting silver, but not tonight.

Edited by Robatron86
  • Like 5

Nice work of the extension Rob. :)

Gives you the option to run the layout as an inglenook or a tuning fork with a main line too.

I love micro layouts for things like this, as you'd be surprised how much such a tiny change adds to the operations. :)

So....

How long before you make a scenic extension to go on that end then? :P

Thanks mate. I think that is going to be the limit of my extensions for TYS. I'm already pushing the limit with the amount of space I have.

I think for the extension I will remove the backscene on the left and continue the buildings onto the next board. I can't see a convincing way of having the trains disappear through a hole in the sky.

In other news, thanks to Nick (Northpoint) I now have the car float apron for the new layout.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, it has been a while. Been off the radar a little bit and not been doing much modelling sadly. Just some new pieces of rolling stock.

20170114_131720_HDR.jpg

Athearn ATSF single dome solvent tank car and an Accurail CNW 50ft boxcar with 8ft Superior door. Allegheny1600 (John) should appreciate that one.

The tank probably won't see service on TYS, but it goes with my ATSF single dome water tank car nicely.

I was also by good fortune able to source some more 1.5volt, 1mm bulbs. I had spoken to Joe at Kyte's Lights (usual disclaimer, happy customer etc.) and he said that the manufacturer had stopped making them due to the popularity of LED's, but he check his workshop and found 44 clear bulbs! Very happy with that!

• Like 3

Thanks mate. I think that is going to be the limit of my extensions for TYS. I'm already pushing the limit with the amount of space I have.

I think for the extension I will remove the backscene on the left and continue the buildings onto the next board. I can't see a convincing way of having the trains disappear through a hole in the sky.

In other news, thanks to Nick (Northpoint) I now have the car float apron for the new layout.

The way I got around it was to not model the car float, and use the bridge support towers to the apron against the end backdrop with the hole cut out between the, so the cars coming/going to/from the fiddle yard appear to have come from the float (if that makes sense!)

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1

So after a joining a Santa Fe modellers Facebook group, I discovered that the exhaust stack that comes as standard on the Alco S4 is incorrect.

sfl52.jpg

This is what it should look like (image courtesy of RailNet/Google)

20150516_144422.jpg

This is how Bachmann supply it.

And this is my ham fisted attempt to replicate it.

20170119_233037_HDR.jpg

20170119_233208_HDR.jpg

It's a bit rough round the edges, but I like it.

I have also removed what appears to be a small walkway(?) from over the grill at the front on the top. Again SF units didn't have this.

I know! Some actual modelling!

• Like 4

So, it has been a while. Been off the radar a little bit and not been doing much modelling sadly. Just some new pieces of rolling stock.20170114_131720_HDR.jpg

Athearn ATSF single dome solvent tank car and an Accurail CNW 50ft boxcar with 8ft Superior door. Allegheny1600 (John) should appreciate that one.

The tank probably won't see service on TYS, but it goes with my ATSF single dome water tank car nicely.

I was also by good fortune able to source some more 1.5volt, 1mm bulbs. I had spoken to Joe at Kyte's Lights (usual disclaimer, happy customer etc.) and he said that the manufacturer had stopped making them due to the popularity of LED's, but he check his workshop and found 44 clear bulbs! Very happy with that!

Modelling is apast time that can be put to one side and then brought back in for whatever reasons. At the moment work is the reason why I am modelling more! It's the much more pleasant way to pass the time! Sometimes forcing modelling results in poorer results.

So after a joining a Santa Fe modellers Facebook group, I discovered that the exhaust stack that comes as standard on the Alco S4 is incorrect.sfl52.jpg

This is what it should look like (image courtesy of RailNet/Google)20150516_144422.jpg

This is how Bachmann supply it.

And this is my ham fisted attempt to replicate it.20170119_233037_HDR.jpg20170119_233208_HDR.jpg

It's a bit rough round the edges, but I like it.

I have also removed what appears to be a small walkway(?) from over the grill at the front on the top. Again SF units didn't have this.

I know! Some actual modelling!

Edited by enginelane
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Well I had a phone call the Sunday after the Newbury show, asking if I could fill in for a layout that dropped out at the Kenavon Model Railway Exhibition yesterday (Saturday 18th), so I said yes.

Good mix of layouts (including 5 American layouts, 1 French and 1 German). The parking situation was a nightmare mind.

I picked up another reefer and another quad hopper. Getting quite a collection going here.

20170218_222114_HDR.jpg

20170218_222426_HDR.jpg

The next show is on the 1st of April (no joke) at the NMRA BR Spring Meet in Crewe.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

Well unfortunately the layout was not at the NMRA meet in Crewe due to last minute work commitments, but work have let me out to play this weekend at the Rotarail show in Fareham. Do pop along if you can. It is for charadee!

• Like 3

My DS4 arrived today:

20161207_223155.jpg

DS4 on the left, VO on the right. I know, they look almost identical!

I have one of these Baldwin DS4s - Bowser with Loksound. I love it. So much so, that I hope to build a layout around it one day! (Been looking for a zebra stripe body for my Bachmann S4 too)

• 4 weeks later...

So I have completed the GRS' Globalrail show and while the show was fantastic, I sadly did not have such a good time.

My wife was at work last night, and is working tonight, so I had to take my 2 and half year old soon with me on my own.

It should have been easy. He loves trains. I brought plenty of snacks. Within an hour he was hating it. Wanted to run off and touch everything. Sadly the layout wasn't shown off in the best light and I apologise to anyone who wanted to see it.

Thanks to the generosity and understanding of the event staff and the other exhibitors we survived.

Lesson learned.

• 5 weeks later...