Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

Sorry Andy, did you have your eye on those?

I ended up with the unknown make Western Pacific one from the list, I've had a need for a couple of SF 40' Reefers for a while but am hoping to find Intermountain or possibly Accurail ones.

• RMweb Premium

Did you buy kits, or was the package run over by a lorry in the sorting depot? :) ;)

A mixture of kits and rolling stock but going home with a large crate full of 'railway stuff' would not have been the politest thing to do.....

• RMweb Premium

Politest, or politic?

We are, I presume, talking domestic authorities?

Thanks to Gordy's generous pricing policy there was rather more than I could easily hide.... Which reminds me there was another loco i fancied must scurry off and examine soul and bank balance.....

Edited by skipepsi

Been doing a few bits and pieces tonight on TYS. Now my "awesome bumpy track" caused a few issues at the last show, as the track has dipped too much. Trip pins were catching on the snow, and in one case it took a whole coupler box off. So, with some carefully placed pins, the dip has been fixed. I have also tightened up the electrical utility wires as they were sagging, and tidied up the lighting wiring. Not an exciting update I know, but part and parcel of a travelling layout.

• Like 2

Another job I have been putting off since the layout was first built, adding isolation switches. I have been running the layout as "one engine in steam", but having an loco sat in a siding was something I wanted to do.

10 switches off eBay at £3.99, a small box for an enclosure, and some wire. All done after 20 minutes.

I will post pics later once the small human is in bed.

• Like 3

20161117_231244.jpg

As promised (or threatened?), this is some of the work I have done. The lighting cabling has been zip tied to the overhead supports and the excess has been bundled up and hot glued to the backscene. The switch panel has been placed there to minimize the amount of wiring length. It's within arms length from my usual hovering area (just right of the fiddle yard).

The box is a recycled mobile phone box (very solid card) and the switches are rated to take 240V! I have been testing the sections and I will be uploading a short video soon.

• Like 4

The 1st Hersham Train Exhibition was a success I say. Good turn out and lots of nice layouts. But, that's it for now until January, where I will be at the Astolat show in Guildford.

Meanwhile, more rolling stock shenanigans:

20161120_225151.jpg

I am severely lacking in the 50ft boxcar department, so I have spent the evening painting, and replacing the wheels and couplers, on these two. The one of the left is a Bachmann model, and on the right an Athearn blue box model.

Decals for tomorrow night I think.

• Like 2

In other news, my amazing wife is providing another member of the team as a Christmas present. Let's see if you can guess. A couple of clues. It's from a loco manufacturer that I haven't owned (both the model and the prototype manufacturers), 4 axle and it's designation starts with DS...

I thought at first congratulations were in order!

Then I realised that in it was to be a Christmas delivery, you would have had some pretty big clues by now!

So, it's a model loco! My guess is something by Stewart?

Prototype like this: http://baldwindiesels.railfan.net/guide/ds-4-4-1000na/index.html

Cheers,

John.

However, it doesn't look like the AT&SF had any from new??

Well, you wait for one Baldwin, then two come along at once! Another loco I had been searching for for a while was an HO VO-1000. I did accidentally buy one in N, but shortly after my wife buying me the DS4-4-1000, I found a VO (another Stewart Hobbies model) at a very reasonable price.

Now, I know the DS4 was released as the replacement for the VO (in fact, the Santa Fe re-used the VO's number range for the DS4's), I think I can get away a bit of modelling license. At least the will look good and work together double heading.

• Like 4

Thanks John. From what I have read (in the last 24 hours!), the switchers were very reliable with a high tractive effort, but their road engines could not compare to the likes of GP7's and 9's.

That is what killed off Baldwin. They were convinced that steam power would last until the 1980's! And they invested a lot of R&D in steam turbine engines, just as GE, Alco and EMD were really pushing diesel technology.

I would say that Alco's are more characterful, for example the HH class and S ranges of switcher were very different, but you can see the family lineage. Whereas, the DS4, the VO and the S12 are all nearly identical!

• Like 1