Tilley Yard South, Chicago, Winter 1956

Robatron86

For those whose time on the forum doesn't go back that far - or are just interested (unlikely, I know!) an Inglenook Ferry layout can be found at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29306

Ingleferry Wharf collapses down and was built for a challenge on the Railroad Lines Forum to fit an operating layout in an actual shoebox

Edited by shortliner

For those whose time on the forum doesn't goo back that far - or are just interested (unlikely, I know!) an Inglenook Ferry layout can be found at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29306

Ingleferry Wharf collapses down and was built for a challenge on the Railroad Lines Forum to fit an operating layout in an actual shoebox

That was partly the inspiration Jack   ;)

I first saw it on Carl's website and thinking "Bu**er me, that is clever"

Edited by Robatron86

There is always the Lindberg Tug, problem is it is a full hull model and can easily be converted to R/C and taken down to the local duckpond. I never quite got round to building a carfloat for it, but probably have enough stock to model a Pacific Northwest carfloat operation.

Nice layout BTW, I saw it on Saturday before opening but was otherwise engaged throughout the show.

There is always the Lindberg Tug, problem is it is a full hull model and can easily be converted to R/C and taken down to the local duckpond. I never quite got round to building a carfloat for it, but probably have enough stock to model a Pacific Northwest carfloat operation.

Nice layout BTW, I saw it on Saturday before opening but was otherwise engaged throughout the show.

I'm pretty sure I've seen an article in an old RMC on converting the Lindbergh/Revell tug into a railroad one (higher wheelhouse etc)

Edited by doctor quinn

For information this is the Lindberg Lindberg 1/87 Diesel Tug Boat # 77221

post-6836-0-62186200-1466023676_thumb.jpg

There is also the Frenchman River steam tug kit http://www.frenchmanriver.com/Pages/HO/Boats/rrTug/Steam/steamRRTug.html

steam%20tug1.jpg

And their diesel tug http://www.frenchmanriver.com/Pages/HO/Boats/rrTug/Diesel/dieselRailroadTug.html

Diesel%20Railroad%20Tug.jpg

Also the Sylvan kit http://www.sylvanscalemodels.com/kits/1027.htm (can't find a good photo)

sylvan_1027_3.jpg

Edited by Talltim
  • Like 1

Watch the Revel Harbour tug - it is under scale - I think about 1:108, and which sort of tug is used depends to some extent where it operates -The high bridge ones were designed for use in NY/NJ so the the captain could see over the barges - it may be worth joining the Yahoo groups  <railmarineops> and <railmarineops files>. There may be a few days wait for an answer, but there is a huge amount of info on there. The one in my link above, "River Lady", is a Mississippi River push tug that shoves groups of barges up the river, but it was small enough to fit in the box

Edited by shortliner

Thanks Jack. Really enjoying the tug discussion, it is really helping me with the planning for the new one (track plan has been made, experiments are underway). This one is going to be a little bit bigger....

"......Passenger service every 5 minutes.....", not if using the Mindhiem method of operating, you'd not have chance to use the centre line at all  :sungum:

Good to see TYS getting recognition elsewhere, I don't think anyone else has used your type of track plan for an inglenook, making it unique in an area that is generally difficult to stand out in

Edited by NickBrad

Managed to get to Oxted for a couple of hours on Saturday. Nice to meet Rob in person. I will also say the layout looks great in the flesh. It really has that cold Chicago feeling to it.

Did you manage to duct tape the stock shelf?

• 2 weeks later...

Way to go, boy!!! :yes: ...& acheived entirely unintentionally too!! ;)

I knew you would love it. I think it's because the layout was built with sectional track, rather than flexi, and then exposed to extremes of temperature in the man shack.

Agreed, that shot of the bumpy track is awesome.

Rob, do you notice any rocking and swaying from your freight cars?

Not that I have noticed, a couple of my older cars sway anyway due to the slack in the screws holding the trucks on. Plus I very rarely go faster than a scale 5mph(ish). (I set my GP7 off on the slowest crawl once. In the time it took me to make a cuppa, it still hadn't left the scenic section!)

• Like 2

That's funny, as I have owned 5 Bachmann locos (GP30, GP38-2, GP40, H16-44 and S4), but only the H16 had roadrunner characteristics. Obviously they aren't in the Atlas/Walthers Proto leagues, but I don't have a huge problem with them.

The controller plays a massive part, as North Valley used the standard Bachmann controller and TYS uses the Gaugemaster handheld. A giant leap in performance.

And the H16-44? Well because it so far removed from the Atlas model in terms of looks and performance, it is being converted into a H12-44TS.