NHY 581

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2023 at 19:12, MrWolf said:

Would it be the kind of sh!te where you wonder why you kept it in the first place? 

We've been finding duplicates of various things, all broken and not enough there to make a single good one.

That sounds a bit like I am currently doing with my old Dads estate... the only gold dust I've found is his DVR and P&DSR black and white photo albums and railway diaries 

I don't think he ever threw away an envelope in the last 60 plus years

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

3 hours ago, steve45 said:

Are those what I think they are behind the J70?

Zooming in on the photo and despite the pixelated image I think we can safely agree that they are!

Or was that a rhetorical question? (I always get those type of questions wrong!)

Steve S

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2023 at 20:01, NHY 581 said:

And Sheep Dip's loftier perch. More still to do on this side but enough is enough for now. 

20231109_195832.jpg.38d27ccc5400509db42fcac0f6fee3e1.jpg

Top row will eventually have glass doors/ glass shelves. 

Rob. 

Worringly tidy....are you ill?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, steve45 said:

Are those what I think they are behind the J70?

7 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Zooming in on the photo and despite the pixelated image I think we can safely agree that they are!

Or was that a rhetorical question? (I always get those type of questions wrong!)

Steve S

Morning Steves, 

Yes they are indeed the Rapido W&U tramway coaches and very lovely they are. Obviously out of period as passenger services ceased on the W&U in the late '20s ( 1928 off the top of my woolley head ). They are gorgeous little things and will, at some point have some attention paid to them. ( there is a reason for a delay which will be expanded upon in due course ) 

Sadly, Ewe is the wrong layout for them. It was, after all, always going to be goods only so a more passenger orientated layout would be needed. I've thought sboutca bit of remodelling of Ewe but I'm leaving well alone. 

The new layout which has always been seen as a tradtional passenger serving terminus could be adapted.  I am thinking that the platform could follow the Kelvedon and Tollesbury with it's low platforms. ( 15 inches ?) This is of course where these coaches ended up and they'd look quite at home accompanied by an adapted 4whl brake and pulled by an Accurascale J67/8/9. 

But.........what do we then do with the GER J70 trainpacks which are rapidly ( no pun intended ) approaching release..? 

So is there a 'need' to think of a more passenger orientated W&U layout/ module ?.....is this what the breakfast tables are destined for...? 

Rob

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Steves, 

Yes they are indeed the Rapido W&U tramway coaches and very lovely they are. Obviously out of period as passenger services ceased on the W&U in the late '20s ( 1928 off the top of my woolley head ). They are gorgeous little things and will, at some point have some attention paid to them. ( there is a reason for a delay which will be expanded upon in due course ) 

Sadly, Ewe is the wrong layout for them. It was, after all, always going to be goods only so a more passenger orientated layout would be needed. I've thought sboutca bit of remodelling of Ewe but I'm leaving well alone. 

The new layout which has always been seen as a tradtional passenger serving terminus could be adapted.  I am thinking that the platform could follow the Kelvedon and Tollesbury with it's low platforms. ( 15 inches ?) This is of course where these coaches ended up and they'd look quite at home accompanied by an adapted 4whl brake and pulled by an Accurascale J67/8/9. 

But.........what do we then do with the GER J70 trainpacks which are rapidly ( no pun intended ) approaching release..? 

So is there a 'need' to think of a more passenger orientated W&U layout/ module ?.....is this what the breakfast tables are destined for...? 

Rob

Oooh you are a tease aren't you Rob.

By the way I thought the breakfast tables were for you to eat your breakfast off but that's me I suppose just no imagination.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

Worringly tidy....are you ill?

Morning Chris, 

Do you know, I'm actually enjoying the unclutterment. It is something which I accept hasn't always been succesfully managed but I feel more inclined to start on something walking into the room as it looks. 

I've still got jobs to do. Sheep Dip needs connecting up and there are a few more books to move in and bits and bobs to rehouse. 

But for now, I'm quite enjoying being able to plonk myself down with a cup of coffee and flick through MRJ or just look around. 

Sorting the Room of Doom is one of the best things I've done in relation to railway modelling. 

Rob

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Do you know, I'm actually enjoying the unclutterment. It is something which I accept hasn't always been succesfully managed but I feel more inclined to start on something walking into the room as it looks. 

I've still got jobs to do. Sheep Dip needs connecting up and there are a few more books to move in and bits and bobs to rehouse. 

But for now, I'm quite enjoying being able to plonk myself down with a cup of coffee and flick through MRJ or just look around. 

Sorting the Room of Doom is one of the best things I've done in relation to railway modelling. 

Rob

TBH I need to do something similar....I have projects that will simply never happen and tools I will never use....

Chris

• Agree 2

Hi Rob,

I'm in a similar situation with the W&O and K&T, I'm thinking a bit of modellers license being that a J70 was also sent to the K&T at the same time as the coaches in 1928. The layout would feature the Hornby J15 and an Accurascale Buckjumper, I might stretch facts even further and have a J68 as I like the windows, Rule 1 applies! 

I like the idea of old grounded coach bodies as waiting rooms.

Need to finish my current layout first

Regards

Steve

• Like 2

On 06/11/2023 at 19:19, NHY 581 said:

* oh....oh.... and I've also collected two of Rapido's lovely W&U tramway bogie coaches........yum. 

Aren't they just delightful too. I have another two on pre-order in the form of the J70 teak pack, so i'll end up with more coaches than the real railway, but then I pre-ordered the Titfield pair before the tram pack was announced

Great stuff Rob.

Can I ask what class Peckett that is in the third photo, I'm guessing it's an 0-4-0 as it looks shorter compared to my B2 which also has the pronounced coal bunker on the back of the cab. My next loco might be an 0-4-0 but I'm thinking an Andrew Barclay this time.

Cheers,

Wayne

4 minutes ago, Metropolitan H said:

But Pecketts are so much more stylish and refined than Barclay's!

Regards

Chris H

Hi Chris.

True, but in my mind Barclay's have a sort of... 'Right, I'm ready for whatever work you throw at me' look about them.

Wayne

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Great stuff Rob.

Can I ask what class Peckett that is in the third photo, I'm guessing it's an 0-4-0 as it looks shorter compared to my B2 which also has the pronounced coal bunker on the back of the cab. My next loco might be an 0-4-0 but I'm thinking an Andrew Barclay this time.

Cheers,

Wayne

Morning Wayne..The 0-4-0 Peckett is Hornby’s W4. I have....cough.....a number. If you are going for an Andrew Barclay then wait until next year when Hattons are doing a further run. Avoid ebay where they are being advertised at stupid money. Hattons will be asking less than £90. 

11 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

But Pecketts are so much more stylish and refined than Barclay's!

Regards

Chris H

Morning Chris. Absolutely. Barclays are a tad uncouth.

11 hours ago, paulbb said:

Love the 08s treatment, beats the steamers for me! Also getting house/hobbyroom envy looking at your room of doom (?)

Whats your rooms dimensions?

Paul

Morning Paul. Thank you. The Room of Doom is somewhat bijou and compact at (  over generously) 8ft x 8ft.........probably closer to 8ft by 7ft 6ins

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob, i've noticed you've got Ewe on a 3x4 and Sheep Dip on a 4x4 Kallax. As i'm looking at getting a Kallax myself, i'd be interested to know which you prefer from an operating height perspective?

Afternoon Rob,

Thanks for that. I'll wait for the next run of Barclay locos, unless I happen to see one at a decent price somewhere. Ah it's a W4 Peckett, I'll have to do some digging and see if any were used in South Wales.

I'm thinking of a small fleet between 4 and 6 locos in total as it'll be nice to swap around, my favourite industrials are the Austerities so one or two of those will appear at some point, then I'd like an ex GWR Pannier as well because I have a soft spot for them...

Oh dear! 😅 

Cheers,

Wayne

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Understandable, given where they were manufactured (dives for cover...).

Oi! Living within a few minutes walk of Caledonia Works, I strongly resemble that remark! 

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Geep7 said:

Hi Rob, i've noticed you've got Ewe on a 3x4 and Sheep Dip on a 4x4 Kallax. As i'm looking at getting a Kallax myself, i'd be interested to know which you prefer from an operating height perspective?

Hi Chris, 

The 4 up the height is 147cm which puts track level around shoulder height ( ish ) so it's a bit taller than I operate at shows. It's fine operating standing up and everything can be reached. 

Ewe sits 3 up, @112cm  and therefore I can operate sitting down which is ideal. Both provide the looking into the scene viewpoint which is how they are 'designed' to be viewed.  However, if it came down to it, I'd probably go for standing up. 

57 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Afternoon Rob,

Thanks for that. I'll wait for the next run of Barclay locos, unless I happen to see one at a decent price somewhere. Ah it's a W4 Peckett, I'll have to do some digging and see if any were used in South Wales.

I'm thinking of a small fleet between 4 and 6 locos in total as it'll be nice to swap around, my favourite industrials are the Austerities so one or two of those will appear at some point, then I'd like an ex GWR Pannier as well because I have a soft spot for them...

Oh dear! 😅 

Cheers,

Wayne

Hi Wayne, 

Kernow are your current friends for Austerities with EFE jobs at literally half price. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1