Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

The loco fuel tanks have been glued in place, but need to add the pipe work. Also a channel has been cut into the "concrete" so that the covers (Knight wing, as part of their loco fueling depot kit) can be fitted flush with the surface. The canopy has been fitted, but still need to add the details. A trunking section will be added from the end of the platform and round to the tanks.

Most of the grass and scenics have been completed in this area, yet the buffer stops need to bedded in a little more (after the trunking has been done). After the pipe work has been fitted from the tanks, round the end of the depot to the wagon offloading area, I'll fit the fence along the edge of the board (up against the back scene) and a tree or two.

I'll also add a few small details along the rear of the depot building, but this will come later as plenty of other tasks to get done first!

As an aside, I've fitted Laserglaze to the Heljan 33, having previously done the two 08's. Although a bit of a fiddle, they do make a difference and aim to do a couple of my 25's next.

post-7854-0-43947500-1430254940.jpg

post-7854-0-94989600-1430254962.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Started work on the pipework for the two tanks tonight, oh what a fiddle! Anyway getting there....

Will paint these tomorrow, hopefully, and can then be glued in place. Each pipe drops down into a covered trough and then feeds the loco refueling and wagon offloading siding.

• RMweb Gold

Made some good progress yesterday and today. Will get more done tomorrow and will take some photos!

The tanks now have pipe work fitted.

Security fencing completed. I've used Ratio again and although a bit tricky, does look pretty good! Threading the cotton through the top holes was "fun" but does finish the fencing off well!

Made a start on the main office building. This will now be sited in front of the main depot building.

Off loading pipe work for the loco refueling has been started.

Greenery / secenics along the rear largely done, but will be adding a fence and a few small trees / bushes.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the signals and yard lamps, plus some street lamps, as well as a few detail bits this evening!

Will keep the posty busy in a few days time !!!

Will sort out the wiring of said signals and lights when they've arrived and I've had chance to study them. Will be fitting a regulated power supply to provide constant power for all the lights. Each signal will have a toggle switch, operated from the rear. Doesn't warrant running these off DCC control, plus something else to remember to operate. The points are DCC operated, so that's plenty to think about! Will also fit simple on-off switches for the lights, which are for atmosphere rather than providing lights to enable night time operation. A full lighting rig is being constructed (by Selborne), so can't show this fitted to the layout.

Slowly getting there now and although deadline for completion is getting closer (25th July), still have a few weeks ......

• Like 1

Just ordered the signals and yard lamps, plus some street lamps, as well as a few detail bits this evening!

Will keep the posty busy in a few days time !!!

Will sort out the wiring of said signals and lights when they've arrived and I've had chance to study them. Will be fitting a regulated power supply to provide constant power for all the lights. Each signal will have a toggle switch, operated from the rear. Doesn't warrant running these off DCC control, plus something else to remember to operate. The points are DCC operated, so that's plenty to think about! Will also fit simple on-off switches for the lights, which are for atmosphere rather than providing lights to enable night time operation. A full lighting rig is being constructed (by Selborne), so can't show this fitted to the layout.

Slowly getting there now and although deadline for completion is getting closer (25th July), still have a few weeks ......

I was thinking mate, might be good to get some really fine brass tube to run the cables in for the shed lights, sort of over scale conduit, these could come straight up from the floor level with the beams, what do you think ?  I had a look at the building lights supplied by Layout4U and they are really smart, almost scale high bay light fittings.

by the way the refulling area looks really good, an dthe fence work great also, the fence does look a little unstraight at the end nearest the back, or is this the camera angle ?

Anyway speak soon,

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking mate, might be good to get some really fine brass tube to run the cables in for the shed lights, sort of over scale conduit, these could come straight up from the floor level with the beams, what do you think ?  I had a look at the building lights supplied by Layout4U and they are really smart, almost scale high bay light fittings.

by the way the refulling area looks really good, an dthe fence work great also, the fence does look a little unstraight at the end nearest the back, or is this the camera angle ?

Anyway speak soon,

Jamie

Good idea about the conduit! Will have a look at this when I sort the lights out. Also been having a look at the suspended lights http://www.layouts4u.net/oobuilding.html - hanging lights type HL. Will probably get some myself to fit into the depot on Orchard Road.....

The fencing needs a little work, yes the far end does lean in a little, due to topography, I.e. slopes down here. Should be able to straighten out OK.

Refitted the end back scene today and just need to blend the scenics in a little, adding a few bushes / brambles. This end board will be removable for photographing the end and also at exhibitions if this suits. Does look better to have an end board though when looking / photographing along the length of the layout.

I use Pylonman (keith)on here for yard lighting towers.

Just send him picture of the type you want,and two weeks later its all done...

Very fair prices too,high recommend....

cheers neil.. :locomotive:

• RMweb Gold

A few bits arrived in the post, just waiting for the rest of the signals. Will start fitting these, along with the dummy point motors, cabinets and cable troughs over the weekend.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Managed to get a few small jobs done today, but not too much worth photographing yet...

Fitted the two ground signals, not yet wired and made a start on the conduit, but realised that I need some more. So, an order has been raised.... Also fitted the two dummy point motors (Unit Models) which look good to me.

Started to fit the yard lights, but need to work out where and how many more I need....

Painted and fitted some concrete panel fencing along the "railway side" of the bridge.

Been also using my new tool, a Proxxon KS230 table saw bought from Squires Tools and good service, to cut some Wills brick sheets for another project not connected with Oakley Green. Will post some photos on my workbench thread another day. Anyway, very pleased with the saw, which works a treat and makes cutting the Wills sheets so much easier! Will take a bit if practice to get the best out of it....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

About time for some photos!

Firstly, the colour light signals arrived today from Traintronics and I've drilled holes and placed the signals in place. Will screw the PCBs under the board later this week and will then sort out the switches. These will be operated off switches rather than DCC.

The new concrete fence can also be seen.

post-7854-0-04581800-1431369465.jpg

post-7854-0-98354300-1431369472_thumb.jpg

More to follow.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

A few more photos showing the the yard lamps roughly positioned. Will be adding more of these when I've worked out where these will go. A few lights will be fitted to the outside of the building. Further lights will be added alongside the fuel pipes and likely to use the road style lights, rather than the flood lights.

post-7854-0-17829300-1431369718.jpg

post-7854-0-76098500-1431369725.jpg

post-7854-0-61269200-1431369734_thumb.jpg

post-7854-0-51230700-1431369742.jpg

post-7854-0-52172600-1431369750.jpg

post-7854-0-52960300-1431369758.jpg

• Like 7

Looking really good Richard, but I feel another set of points are needed for another siding, about where the 37 is in the last pic would do nicely mate. hahhah.

Really nice work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking really good Richard, but I feel another set of points are needed for another siding, about where the 37 is in the last pic would do nicely mate. hahhah.

Really nice work.

Ah, the 37 is not on the rails there! Just been left in the middle!

Not entirely sure what to add / model in the centre at the moment. Probably a stack of old rail, a few cable drums, old drums and overgrown with weeds and grass .....

• Like 1

Hi mate,

Yep, I completely agree with the space, some rails with sleepers, cable drums etc with weeds sounds perfect !

I note in the corner where the side and back board meet, the scene changes slightly, how about a nice tree in this corner, sort of cut to fit in the 90 deg ?  Have to say though, the back scene look really good, I am very happy with the look !

With regard to the signals, I note you have added two additional signals coming into the yard, what are they R/G only ?  and the main signal is that just an R/G with route or does it have an amber ?  the ground signals are also just R/G ?  let me know, so I can work out the wiring for the minimum number of switches.

Also, question regarding the concrete pads outside the workshop and refuelling area, how will they be finished off, painted or some sort of coating ?

I think from a lighting perspective, one more yard lights should do it, one over the end shunt/fuel delivery area, I think the oil depot area should be illuminated via the road side type lamps we have discussed, one every 30 feet is the normal spaces, but one every tanker position would also be suitable, plus what ever you think is necessary for the road area and outside lights for the parcel and work shops, up to you.

Otherwise looking great !

Jamie

Edited by Selborne