Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi mate,

Yes, I'll be adding a tree into the corner and a few small bushes. There will also be a couple of odd trees along the back.

All the signals are R/G.

Still some work to do on the concrete hard standings, just a base colour at the moment and will also add a few joint lines, like Orchard Road, with appropriate oil / fuel stains !

I'll sort the rail etc for the centre later. Certainly don't want to over crowd this area.

Agree re the lights. Layouts4U also do some interior hanging lights and will have a look at these.

Oh, should get my laptop back (finally) on Thursday! Will then be able to make much better photos on my SLR rather than using my tablet as at the moment! Will also have a running session soon, with Ray, and can the fill the yard with my locos! More space than Orchard Road !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention that I'll scan and email the wiring / paperwork / PCB details that came with the lights. Looks light the Traintronics signals have "fade" on the lights when being changed, but not investigated further.

• RMweb Gold

That's right with the traintronics signals , they do fade when changing aspects.

Layout is looking good so far, will no doubt see you at High Wycombe in November as I see Orchard Road is there.

Yes Orchard Road will be at High Wycombe this year, looking forward to it....

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some "trees" wil look good on the depot... :sungum:

You're right !

There are one of the things on the list to do !

A few major things to be done, in no particular order .....

Wire up the signals.

Wire up the lights and install some more.

Finish the depot roof.

Finish the office building.

Finish the tanks.

Add the pipework and pump house.

Make the parcels building and associated details.

Add something else - a secret at the moment.

Add rail etc to centre area.

Add depot details.

Make trees and finish scenic work.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the comments and likes, much appreciated!

Hope to get the tree finished in the next couple of days and will get planted.

Next on the list will be the parcel depot building !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice work with the "rust effects"... :paint: :sungum:

Thanks. Really pleased with the Lifecolor rust effects paints. I've started with the base " rust", the dark shadow, then the two lighter or orange colours on top. Using a small brush a small amount of the base is applied, then the subsequent colours are dabbed on with small amounts using a small brush. A few other arches are added as required. Subtle effects rather than too much is order of the day.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The photo's don't do justice, It looks better in the flesh. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Ray !

I do need to set up the tripod and better lights when taking photos of the layout, but this will come later when more of the layout is completed and when I have more space to get round the garage !

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Been a bit slow on updates for the layout, but have been making some progress.

The depot roof is now well under way and need to add the ridge before painting.

The fuel tanks have now been glued to a base and bund walls added. Bought some Plastruct ladders and gages (CAT ladders) last weekend and forget to get some hand rails for the walkways, but have been ordered.

Finished the first tree and glued in place.

Made a start on the fuel pipe lines.

Will also be rebuilding the pump house as not happy with the one built ( no photos ).

I'll add some photos later in the week.

• RMweb Gold

Progress has been a little slow with busy weekends, but now clear for the next few, so should make significant headway. Anyway, been working on the fuel tanks.

These have been glued to a base with brick bund. Made a start on the access ladders and gantries to the top of a pair of tanks, so three ladders. These need finishing off, then painting before glueing in place. Then I'll get the pipe work sorted. The tanks can then be glued in place and the low level pipework done.

A few other other tasks are underway, but nothing worth photos at the moment.

I've also been working on a large engine shed for someone else, which is assembled from 4 Wills craftsman engine shed kits. This is nearing completion and will then be adding a boiler house. Photos to follow.

post-7854-0-35866200-1433939417.jpg

• Like 12

Looking good this Richard. Some nice little details all over which I always find interesting. The rust looking really good.

One of my buts coming though.......not sure about the signalling leaving the depot. A bit OTT I feel. I would think 1 signal leaving the area at most to protect any mainline beyond and that I would think would be a trains length beyond the bridge to allow for shunting moves in the depot in any case. The way it is you would be stopped by the signalling from doing any shunting at all between the roads. I personally would just have a ground signal at the exit of the scene to allow movements to the next signal along the pretend line which would in turn be protecting the main, that way a train can be seen running past the signal to the next and then shunting back.

Just my 2p of course and doesn't detract from the great work.

• RMweb Gold

Looking good this Richard. Some nice little details all over which I always find interesting. The rust looking really good.

One of my buts coming though.......not sure about the signalling leaving the depot. A bit OTT I feel. I would think 1 signal leaving the area at most to protect any mainline beyond and that I would think would be a trains length beyond the bridge to allow for shunting moves in the depot in any case. The way it is you would be stopped by the signalling from doing any shunting at all between the roads. I personally would just have a ground signal at the exit of the scene to allow movements to the next signal along the pretend line which would in turn be protecting the main, that way a train can be seen running past the signal to the next and then shunting back.

Just my 2p of course and doesn't detract from the great work.

I see what you are saying and makes sense. However, we wanted to add a few signals and although not necessarily prototypical, adds some interest.

Finally made a start on the parcel depot last night! Bit delayed getting sorted as trying to download printer drivers for wife's laptop...... Got it working eventually.....

Will get a bit more done to the building over the weekend.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A little bit of an update.

post-7854-0-85491100-1434216793.jpg

The roof for the depot building has been painted and positioned on the building, although not fitted down yet.

post-7854-0-88707400-1434216794.jpg

post-7854-0-63028700-1434216795.jpg

A little bit more work on the tanks - access ladders and pipe work.

post-7854-0-49764300-1434216797.jpg

A start on the parcel building.

post-7854-0-39573400-1434216796.jpg

post-7854-0-03522200-1434216797.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on the parcel depot platform today, which I've made using 40 thou plasticard. I've cut a few strips of the required height - much easier using my Proxxon saw - and made the platform surface in one section. Will add the brick work later and then will get painted along with the main building. Also started the windows - not so easy being curved top!

• Like 2