Oakley Green Oil Depot

mudmagnet

• RMweb Gold

Hi Richard

Due to other distractions haven't been on RMWeb much for a while so only just found this.....

Its looking really good......Most impressive.....

Have added to my follow list.....

Looking forward to following your progress...

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill

Good to hear from you.

As you've probably read that will be having it's debut at Barnstaple show. So, plenty to get done before then!

As an aside, been discussing the paint for the tanks and these will be light grey and suitably weathered.

Hi Richard,

Thought I'd take a peek at your latest 'Challenge', & coming along very nicely.

Keep up the good work.

I had problems at first with Deluxe View Glue, but on the second attempt I used wallpaper size on the boards first.

This allows much more time to move the paper, & it also gives you the opportunity to work out any creases.

I'll be following this one with great interest, & it'll be lovely to have it at our exhibition.

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

The tanks have been painted, base colour only so far!

Before painting, I added two thin "joints" around the tanks to represent the welded joints on the tank. Each if these are a narrow strip of self adhesive paper (label sheet) and I made a collar of paper wrapped around the tank as a guide to ensure that each strip was parallel and the same distance.

Each tank has been sprayed using Halfords aluminium, and I'm quite pleased with the colour. Will benefit from a little weathering. Next to be added will the the pipe work and access ladders.

Will be making a start on the grass bank along the rear in the next couple of weeks.

post-7854-0-19462400-1427560202.jpg

post-7854-0-54015400-1427560210.jpg

post-7854-0-69282500-1427560218.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

They look great - and somewhere to stand a mug of tea !!

Thanks Stu!

No, you can't put you tea on them! I'll make sure that I put the breather pipes on the top so that your mug won't have a flat surfay!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bought most bits that I need for the next couple of weeks (static grass, ballast, fencing). Need to get the pipe work etc which I hope to get at the weekend. Then full on scenic work along the rear of the layout!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well about time for an update.

Progress halted whilst on holiday, but did get to buy some items at the York Show, including Green Scene materials and Flockit, plus some other scenic items. Ordered some more bits yesterday, so waiting for these to be delivered.

So, spend a few hours working on the grass banks. Still more to do, but gives a good impression where we are going. One section around the buffer stop / siding is more or less done (although will receive more scenic treatment later ). Once the parcel depot building is positioned in front (on the two sidings in front) it will be more difficult to access to work on and unlikely to get low level photos.

post-7854-0-89546300-1429274477.jpg

post-7854-0-03098400-1429274486.jpg

post-7854-0-82187200-1429274494.jpgpost-7854-0-41026800-1429274619.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

A few more bits arrived in the post today and a few more bits due! Will keep me busy for a couple of weeks! Been slightly distracted with a Judith Edge kit for my next project......

Back to Oakley Green though, will be making a start on the parcel depot soon. Finally decided more or less how this will look...... Been changing my mind, but now that the scenics are in place, can visualise the look better!

Also, the back scene has arrived to replace the one glued (where the glued used did not work).

• RMweb Gold

Made a start on replacing the back scene this evening. Needed to completely remove the old back scene before gluing the replacement in place... Will get the second one done in the morning and will take some photos.

Also have a few Knightwing bits to get assembled and painted.

• Like 1

Hi Mate,

I went to the Stowmarket Model Railway exhibition today, not bad group of layout, and a few guys were aware of the layout, due to this blog, so that was a good talking point, Layout4U were there and they had there stand with all the lights on it and I think based on this that I have found the lights to use.  Let me know what you think;

For the yard, the two lamp PL2 style fittings £5.00 each, will most likely need quite a few,

for the road areas then street lights T91A  6 for £8.00

plus, they do really small wall lights for the sheds, MBL fitting 2 for £3.50, these can be added to the parcl and engine shed inside and out.

See what you think,

They also did ground and route signals, night be worth having at chat with them.

Speak soon,

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mate,

I went to the Stowmarket Model Railway exhibition today, not bad group of layout, and a few guys were aware of the layout, due to this blog, so that was a good talking point, Layout4U were there and they had there stand with all the lights on it and I think based on this that I have found the lights to use.  Let me know what you think;

For the yard, the two lamp PL2 style fittings £5.00 each, will most likely need quite a few,

for the road areas then street lights T91A  6 for £8.00

plus, they do really small wall lights for the sheds, MBL fitting 2 for £3.50, these can be added to the parcl and engine shed inside and out.

See what you think,

They also did ground and route signals, night be worth having at chat with them.

Speak soon,

Jamie

Had a look at the website, but can't find the 2-lamp yard lights. The others look good though.