Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

Les -enjoying the pictures and construction commentary. Have you got the Montys figures yet?

Andy R

Thanks Andy. Not yet. They said about 21 days, so I reckon that would be late next week.

Cheers, Les

Thanks Andy. Not yet. They said about 21 days, so I reckon that would be late next week.

Cheers, Les

Andy - believe it not they turned up in the post today and I have them in my hot little hands right now. So that's about 2 weeks from placement of order via their website. They look very good, so I think worthwhile getting some. Ordering process was pretty easy.

Cheers, Les

Les -that's great service. I will work on doing same in the near future. 2/1/2 weeks to my retirement and new things. The other GWR layout (Dymstock) booked for Cambridge show and I should be helping John with that so if you come to the show make yourself known. Not sure which day for me yet.

Andy R

Les -that's great service. I will work on doing same in the near future. 2/1/2 weeks to my retirement and new things. The other GWR layout (Dymstock) booked for Cambridge show and I should be helping John with that so if you come to the show make yourself known. Not sure which day for me yet.

Andy R

Andy, you know you need to keep yourself busy when you retire, so best you spend some time in the man cave. Definitely planning on going to the Cambridge show and probably will be the Saturday, so if I see you (assuming you'll have a name tag)will introduce myself. Will be good to see Dymstock again.

Cheers

looking forward to it Les- one of several 'refreshment' ideas I am working on. Initially it would be good to get some quality work time down there in the train room. I will try to aim for Saturday also at Cambridge.

Andy R

Mmmmmmm, what's that lurking in the shed?

post-24685-0-20768700-1426220848_thumb.jpg

What's this,a new toy?

post-24685-0-63056800-1426220800_thumb.jpg

Ordered it from Hattons last Wednesday night, arrived in NZ in the post Thursday morning. 8 days to make its way from the UK to NZ, can't complain about that.

post-24685-0-12877700-1426220810_thumb.jpg

Looks good, and runs fantastic straight out the box.

Cheers, Les

• Like 12

Did you manage to get it tax exempt? Looking nice. I think I might have pre-ordered one of these last year with Hattons. Never got an email to say the panniers were available. Mind you, funds are tight so I would have passed on it anyway. Shame, that would have finished my loco stable for my unbuilt West of Worcester idea. 

Did you manage to get it tax exempt? Looking nice. I think I might have pre-ordered one of these last year with Hattons. Never got an email to say the panniers were available. Mind you, funds are tight so I would have passed on it anyway. Shame, that would have finished my loco stable for my unbuilt West of Worcester idea.

Ian, yes we did, (I think we can in NZ for under $400?), so that paid the postage. I'm not sure what they would sell for in NZ if they ever are, but certainly it cost me a lot less than I could of got it here, and mail order within NZ would still take 4 to 5 days.

Cheers, Les

• RMweb Gold

Mmmmmmm, what's that lurking in the shed?

It looks rather good in black. In fact recently I have noticed something that I almost dare not say out loud, but... I think certain GWR engines look better in black than in green! 

• RMweb Premium

It looks rather good in black. In fact recently I have noticed something that I almost dare not say out loud, but... I think certain GWR engines look better in black than in green! 

Dare you to say that on Robin's thread .     :jester:

Hi Les , late to the party as always , really like what you have done so far , all very

well observed modelling . Good photos too. Will be following this now .

• Like 1

Lovely layout and great photography.

Thank you Turbo-Tim. I am finding taking photos of the layout an interesting new aspect to the hobby, I think that is why I enjoy model railways as there are so many parts that make up the whole.

Cheers, Les

Hi Mikkel, I have to admit I like my steam locos in black which is partly why I chose this era, but I guess that is due to the steam locos that were in use in NZ were predominately black (not that I can remember them in service!)

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Dare you to say that on Robin's thread .     :jester:

Hi Les , late to the party as always , really like what you have done so far , all very

well observed modelling . Good photos too. Will be following this now .

Thanks Mike for the kind words. Obviously observation of the prototype (even the countryside) is difficult from the other side of the world, so I have to rely on pictures in books/magazines and the internet, and also a lot of the scenic work is from looking at the countryside around home. So positive feedback from you guys who actually live there is really appreciated.

Cheers, Les

[/quote

Age has a lot to do with it. Those who grew up with GW green will always prefer that. Younger ones who grew up with BR black remember the locos painted that way. What bothers me is when BR decided to paint engines black that should be green. Unforgivable!

Brian.

Guest nzflyer

Greetings from eastern Southland, NZ!

Incredible layout. The photography looks like something out of Model Rail magazine (my local bookshop stopped importing it the beggars!!) To say the least, I'm proud that there is a strong community of New Zealand modellers on here! Although on my budget and as a gangly teenager, I'm more constricted to a behind-the-screen modelling! 

I'd like to think with your skills if your are a DBR then I must be a DSG!  ;)

Keep it up old son!

Greetings from eastern Southland, NZ!

Incredible layout. The photography looks like something out of Model Rail magazine (my local bookshop stopped importing it the beggars!!) To say the least, I'm proud that there is a strong community of New Zealand modellers on here! Although on my budget and as a gangly teenager, I'm more constricted to a behind-the-screen modelling! 

I'd like to think with your skills if your are a DBR then I must be a DSG!  ;)

Keep it up old son!

Hi nzflyer, thank you for your kind feedback. Though go easy on the old, I'm not sure I like being reminded! :)

You could always ask your bookshop to hold whatever magazines you want, my local shop didn't stock MRJ but I asked if they could get it in for me and they were OK with that. I think if you actually buy it they won't mind.

Yes, NZ modellers are doing some great work, I went on a layout tour around Hamilton last year and there were some exceptional layouts.

Don't let lack of funds or your age stop you enjoying the hobby. When I was a teenager (not that long ago I hasten to add) there was nothing like what is available now in the shops, so you made up everything yourself as cheaply as possible. I used to really enjoy making structures, just using Weetbix boxes and Superquick brick papers. (Though Weetbix boxes these days are closer to paper than card.) In fact for ballast I used crushed stones off our driveway.

Have a look at Westerham Stations thread, he does some really neat work with card and wood.

In short, give it a go and enjoy the hobby.

Cheers, Les

NZflyer- greetings.

There seem to be a few modellers from downunder on this web. It nice to be able to communicate via this forum although we have never, and may never actually meet.

Having said that Les and I are likely to get to meet via the Hamilton Model Railway Club show at Cambridge next month, so that's nice. This little layout here that Les is constructing is top class, as the photos show.

regards, Andy R

Les, I've enjoyed a read through this and very much like the layout and  the B/W photos. All nice and simple. Excellent. I look forward to seeing more. updates.

Regards,

Thank you for the positive feedback John. I must say that your Hintock layout is a wonderful model.

Cheers, Les

Edited by Dbr1295
  • Like 1

Les,

This is a great layout, and the photographs are superb. Although I think the 14XXs and 45/55XXs look good in lined green, like you I like my BR era pannier tanks unlined black. All the best.

David

Thanks for the kind words David. There are some many fantastic models on this forum, it is quite humbling to receive encouraging words from the creators of those layouts.

While my steam locos are primarily black I do also like the big express engines in the lined green.

Cheers, Les