Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

Hi from Tauranga, NZ.

I am thrilled to see another NZ RM web member displaying their work. It looks really nice from the photos and employing different scenic techniques to me but we are all striving for the same general aims. Great stuff.

Andy R

Hi Andy, thanks for the comments. I'm pretty sure from reading you thread that you used to have a small GWR layout on our local exhibition "circuit". Always had been a favourite of mine.

Regarding the trees, the smaller ones are just Woodland Scenics fine leaf foliage. The larger ones are the armatures from a Woodland Scenics Realistic Tree Kit. There was I think 7 armatures and some clump foliage in it. I just used the armatures from these, didn't like the look of the foliage.

Firstly I formed what looked like a reasonable tree skeleton. Next I cut up a whole lot of garden twine roughly 5mm long. I then spray the armature with spray glue and sprinkled the bits of twine on. Then a first coat of paint using grey undercoat from an aerosol. Then a coat of acrylic paints from an airbrush. I used a random mix of brown earth, light grey & white. I left a couple just grey but I'm not really happy with those. I'm still not totally happy with the browny tinge either but it is better. I have to admit I'm constantly looking at trees to work out how to get the right colours! After painting I spray with glue and sprinkle on Woodland Scenics Coarse Turf of an appropriate shade. Finally a coat of matt varnish from an aerosol.

Hopefully this makes sense. I've got some armatures I haven't put foliage on yet so I'll try and get some photo's posted of these and some of the process.

I can't claim ownership of the idea, it's just a combination of what other people have done before me.

Hi Les- further great photos and nice, straight forward track plan.

Yes I am the owner with a friend of the GWR layout called "Dymstock" which we have exhibited mainly in the Hamilton MRC exhibitions over the years. It is rather tired now and probably overexposed in the small modelling circle we frequent in the Waikato in my view. I am also a co-owner of the o gauge layout Lymbridge Harbour that you may have seen around Hamilton exhibition too?

I have another exhibition layout in my head that I need to sell to my co-owner John, and if I do I can get on with that idea in due course, after I retire. In the meantime my own home layout Hawkinsfield Junction (see my topic) is taking up sufficient modelling time.

See you at a Hamilton exhibition (April in Cambridge or October in Hamilton-please introduce yourself).

Regards, Andy R

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Model photography is a new aspect of the hobby I am enjoying, but only recently, so there are no "bare bones" pictures of the layout.

For those that are interested, the bench work is 3 1200 x 500 boards made from 65 x 20 dressed pine frame spaced every 300, with 12mm mdf top.

Location is by pins and bushes I turned up out of scrap stainless steel and they are held together by 6mm coach bolts.

Legs are 45 x 32 pine and the 2 outer boards piggy-back off the middle one.

Here a some pictures of the "ugly" side of town, i.e. very much still work in progress.

post-24685-0-62989900-1421306287_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-99118000-1421306311_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Hi Andy,

Ah yes Dymstock, I couldn't remember its name. Lovely layout. I know Lymbridge Harbour as well, also very nice.

I most likely will be at the Cambridge show so I will keep an eye out for you.

Re the trees here's some pictures showing the glue & varnish I use, the cut up twine and a armature ready for foliage. Hope they are of some use.

post-24685-0-70034900-1421307152_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-48217800-1421307172_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-69474400-1421307192_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

The Goods Shed

This is the Wills kit but with a new stone base, made from their dressed stone, and I replaced the moulded downpipes with ones from plastic rod.

Not sure what the technical term is, but the lump of wood at the door was made from styrene suitably distressed to look like wood.

Still needs final weathering and door handles.

Pavers are also by Wills. Colouring is by dark oak wood dye, which comes out a nice grey colour on top of a coat of white primer. It was applied by having a small amount on a rag and gently rubbing on with my finger. I got the idea from an Allan Downes article I once read, where he uses it for walls. The slabs of wood between the tracks in the background are also coloured with this dye, which is probably the colour it should be.

Structure in front is the passenger platform, awaiting painting and a top...

Cheers, Les

post-24685-0-34710700-1421441708_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Les -hope I can get to see you at Cambridge . Unsure which layout I will be helping with at this stage-probably O gauge one from Hamilton MRC (not Lymbridge which  we exhibited at Mount last weekend)

Thanks for the tree photos- this is an interesting technique using the cut string...like it. will experiment.

regards, Andy R

A couple of pictures from the loco shed gate, (well when I get around to making the wall and gate they will be).

Both loco's (45xx & 22xx) by Bachmann.

Water tower is Wills.

Shed is scratch built. Still needs gutters and down pipes and doors, weathering etc. Been like this for 15 years plus, so no hurry.....

Stone work is scribed Das and roof tiles from wall paper. Not entirely happy with colour of roof. Was painted with a Humbrol slate colour I brought cheap many, many years ago, but it came out greenish. Maybe someone can tell me if there are such things as green slates?

Cheers, Les

post-24685-0-31116700-1421553855_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-09234300-1421553893_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A couple of pictures from the loco shed gate, (well when I get around to making the wall and gate they will be).

Both loco's (45xx & 22xx) by Bachmann.

Water tower is Wills.

Shed is scratch built. Still needs gutters and down pipes and doors, weathering etc. Been like this for 15 years plus, so no hurry.....

Stone work is scribed Das and roof tiles from wall paper. Not entirely happy with colour of roof. Was painted with a Humbrol slate colour I brought cheap many, many years ago, but it came out greenish. Maybe someone can tell me if there are such things as green slates?

Cheers, Les

Green slate does exist, have a look at Honister in the English Lake District.  there may be others sources.

Adrian

Andy, thanks again for the kind feedback. No, I won't be exhibiting, I will be a mere spectator and shopper. While the layout is designed to be reasonably easy to dismantle and set up, I never really considered it for exhibiting. And, while it is fully working, it is far from finished.

2260 arrives with the afternoons pick-up goods, then moves off onto shed.

This little effort was supposed to be a quick diversion from my NZR project, but I look at the pictures and see that the loco needs crew, weathering, lamps and decent couplings. The idea was just to have a layout to run my RTR stock on but the more I get into it, the more I feel I need to improve the standards of the stock. Always trying to improve can't be a bad thing as long as we are enjoying ourselves.

post-24685-0-56078800-1421741093_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-17970000-1421741157_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Andy,

Just read through the topic after discovering it... what a lovely little layout. Really not my usual thing (GWR isn't normally for me!!) but your layout oozes atmosphere and looks so spacious, despite being only 12' long. That definitely is a testament to your skill and vision. The 4th and 5th images in your first post are sublime. 

David

PS I am also jealous of your location in NZ! I had a few months travelling the country a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! Saying that you might be a lonely GWR modeller in that part of the world!