Somewhere out west

Dbr1295

Les, catching up as you will have seen from my recent posts and having a well earned day off from cruise ship work (Rotorua- Hobbiton trips this week).

I like this little cameo scene very much...and the fireman looking back is a nice touch and moves away from the normal positioning. Its this kind of thinking Les that makes your modelling ideas educational and always interesting. Keep them coming. Like you I acquired a Bachmann dukedog (GWR painted version) and I love it. It runs well from the box and looks superb. I cant bring myself to weather it though!

regards, Andy R

Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you. Sounds as if the cruise ship work is keeping you busy and you're doing a fair few miles. I agree about the weathering of the Dukedog, I don't want to do it either, but I think the black one would actually look quite good weathered, so maybe one day I'll risk it.

We'll be over your way, Waihi Beach, for the next couple of weeks, PM me if you want to catch up (if you have time that is).

Cheers, Les

Thanks Chris,

Yes, I'm keeping an eye out for the release of the 14xx. I do have an old second hand Airfix one stashed away, maybe I need to get it out and tidy it up a bit.

Cheers, Les

Hi Les,

Good stuff! Yes, I too am awaiting the release of Hattons' new line up of 14xx with a couple on pre-order. Likewise I do have an older Hornby version of the 14xx; not the most detailed of locos nor the best performing but occasional use on autotrain duty finds work for it. Sprucing it up with lamps, crew, coal and fire irons makes it look pretty although the Hornby ones generally don't seem to enjoy slow speed shunting on trip freight workings. Hopefully these new models should cure that?! :)

Cheers, Chris :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted anything on here, and actually nothing has been done on or towards the layout (now known as Wydgate) in that time.

A couple of weeks away on holiday and the past few weeks I've been focused on knocking together a station shelter & storeroom in S scale.

However, I have played trains occasionally, so here's a few pics from today.

7754 slows into Wydgate with a passenger train.

post-24685-0-48560300-1456641190_thumb.jpg

Pulls up to a halt at the buffers.

post-24685-0-91707200-1456641220_thumb.jpg

Behind is the shell of the station building which is based on the plans of West Bay published in RM a good few years back. Construction is 2mm mdf which was used for packaging of a white board. The plan is (for the moment) to cover in Das and scribe the stonework.

Running around the coaches.

post-24685-0-42903600-1456641229_thumb.jpg

Topping up the water tanks.

post-24685-0-32030300-1456641238_thumb.jpg

Coupled up to the train waiting for departure.  

post-24685-0-65418700-1456641247_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 16

Les, West Bay seems to have become quite popular these days. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

If you are seeking photograhs there are several good ones in Jackson and Tattersall's book, The Bridport Branch, Oxford Publishing Co. 0 902888 85 4 . Probably out of print but I'm sure still around secondhand.

Mullie, of this parish, knows it quite well in its re-incarnation as tea-rooms/restaurant. Before then, back in the early 1970's I knew West Bay as an attractive place to spend family holidays.

• Like 1

Les, West Bay seems to have become quite popular these days. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

If you are seeking photograhs there are several good ones in Jackson and Tattersall's book, The Bridport Branch, Oxford Publishing Co. 0 902888 85 4 . Probably out of print but I'm sure still around secondhand.

Mullie, of this parish, knows it quite well in its re-incarnation as tea-rooms/restaurant. Before then, back in the early 1970's I knew West Bay as an attractive place to spend family holidays.

Hi John, thanks for that.

I actually only came across Westbay by chance while searching the web for suitable station buildings. I can't remember exactly, but I came across a drawing which looked roughly about what I was after, and it mentioned an article in the June(?) '96 Railway Modeller. So I hunted out the relevant copy and there was indeed an article about building it in 7mm, with good drawings and photos. The building was just the size I was looking for so I decided to base my station on it. I have managed to find more photos on the web, including a few of its incarnation as a tearooms.

I started building it quite a while ago but it hasn't moved on past the shell stage at the moment. I really do need to finish it as it is holding up the development of that part of the layout. As I mentioned earlier, I have been distracted back into working on NZ models in 3/16" scale recently and that has been a pleasant change.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Les, You ended by saying; Hope you like, well there wonderful thanks, and a good description of the movements always helps as JF has taught me. Superb pics as well.

Many thanks Andy. Indeed there are many people on this site, like John and yourself, plus many, many others who impart so much knowledge that it really helps no end.

Cheers, Les

Hi Andy,

Good to hear from you. Sounds as if the cruise ship work is keeping you busy and you're doing a fair few miles. I agree about the weathering of the Dukedog, I don't want to do it either, but I think the black one would actually look quite good weathered, so maybe one day I'll risk it.

We'll be over your way, Waihi Beach, for the next couple of weeks, PM me if you want to catch up (if you have time that is).

Cheers, Les

Les- a long time from your reply and sorry I missed this before today. Yep cruise ships still busy enough but starting to tapper off after next week. Weather too hot for much modelling downstairs, and I have become bogged down in the storage yard points again!!!

. Your modelling continues to entertain many on this web and rightly so- I for one am enjoying your pictures and their back storey. Nice work. I am trying to get to Hamilton Club show at Te Awamutu at end of April Les, so maybe we can catch up then?

regards, Andy

Les- a long time from your reply and sorry I missed this before today. Yep cruise ships still busy enough but starting to tapper off after next week. Weather too hot for much modelling downstairs, and I have become bogged down in the storage yard points again!!!

. Your modelling continues to entertain many on this web and rightly so- I for one am enjoying your pictures and their back storey. Nice work. I am trying to get to Hamilton Club show at Te Awamutu at end of April Les, so maybe we can catch up then?

regards, Andy

Thanks Andy.

Yep, I'm planning on going to TA  also. Will you be operating?

Cheer, Les

Thanks Andy.

Yep, I'm planning on going to TA  also. Will you be operating?

Cheer, Les

Hi Les -unfortunately I will not be operating our (now ex) GWR layout as that has been sold and it being retrofitted in a local modellers garage. I am likely to be assisting on the o gauge layout for one day -it would be nice to coordinate our day visits?

Andy R

Hi All,

This weekends effort, 4 windows. These are for the station building. Built up on clear plastic from a CD case with Evergreen 0.25mm thick plastic strips. The upper fixed part of the window is 0.25 clear styrene on top of the CD case plastic. The frame surround is more 0.25 strip. The trick with this is to ensure that the CD case is to the exact size of the desired window and it all goes together reasonably easily, though is time consuming and fiddly. 

Looking at the close-up photo, they will need a bit more cleaning up.

post-24685-0-36868200-1457244778_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-62707200-1457244791_thumb.jpg

Also today was the first running of the new Hornby bow end stock on the Wyd Junction to Wydgate service. Brilliant models and they look fabulous. Time for the old Bachmann Collets to be retired.

post-24685-0-18032100-1457245063_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-15401800-1457245090_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-98124200-1457245071_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-84112300-1457245080_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for some Das to dry I took a camera lineside.

First up, 9028 waiting in the loop ready to head up the quarry branch with a train of empties. Crew giving the loco a once over to be ready to depart.post-24685-0-34473600-1458458285_thumb.jpg

10:40am autotrain from Wyd Junction arriving. Watched over by 0928's fireman.

post-24685-0-20921700-1458458295_thumb.jpg

Quarry empties gone, the Autotrain heads back up the branch.

post-24685-0-28310700-1458458304_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 16

Hi all,

Some photos taken this evening for those who are interested.

4573 arriving with a passenger service. 7754 has just taken water, ready to head the return service to Wyd Junction.

post-24685-0-91871100-1459147933_thumb.jpg

An aerial shot of the same train kindly provided by the Wyd Valley Flying Club. Half the layout is visible in this picture. Note the de-forestation happening to the lower left.

post-24685-0-43612400-1459147943_thumb.jpg

Another low level pass as 4573 pulls into the platform.

post-24685-0-48664300-1459147952_thumb.jpg

7754 coupled up, ready to depart with the return working.

post-24685-0-99067400-1459147961_thumb.jpg

Passing the engine shed & home signal. That fireman still isn't doing much work.

post-24685-0-00044200-1459147971_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 14

Hi all,

Some photos taken this evening for those who are interested.

4573 arriving with a passenger service. 7754 has just taken water, ready to head the return service to Wyd Junction.

attachicon.gifIMG_5968 (2).jpg

An aerial shot of the same train kindly provided by the Wyd Valley Flying Club. Half the layout is visible in this picture. Note the de-forestation happening to the lower left.

attachicon.gifIMG_5974 (2).jpg

Another low level pass as 4573 pulls into the platform.

attachicon.gifIMG_5976 (2).jpg

7754 coupled up, ready to depart with the return working.

attachicon.gifIMG_5978 (2).jpg

Passing the engine shed & home signal. That fireman still isn't doing much work.

attachicon.gifIMG_5979 (2).jpg

Cheers, Les

Well Les- another fine set of photos. Loving your work. See you at TA Saturday I hope

Andy R

Hi Les,

Having just discovered it, I have just spent a lazy morning thoroughly enjoying reading your entire thread and well done on some superb work. I shall push the follow button.

All the best,

Castle

PS: I have a friend here in the UK which has a penchant for the NZ S scale stuff and he keeps threatening to buy a loco kit and leave it on my modelling table (!) do you have a thread on RMWEB for your other layout too? I'm sure the two of us won't be the only ones interested...

Hi Les,

Having just discovered it, I have just spent a lazy morning thoroughly enjoying reading your entire thread and well done on some superb work. I shall push the follow button.

All the best,

Castle

PS: I have a friend here in the UK which has a penchant for the NZ S scale stuff and he keeps threatening to buy a loco kit and leave it on my modelling table (!) do you have a thread on RMWEB for your other layout too? I'm sure the two of us won't be the only ones interested...

Hi Castle, Thanks for your comments and all your likes. And thanks to everyone else for their likes, I am very humbled.

Regarding the NZR layout, no I don't have a thread for that, it has been very much on the back burner, though I have been working on a few NZ models of late. I might just have to start a thread on what I've done so far.

As for that threatened NZR kit, do it! The great thing about NZ railways is everything is kit or scratch built. Plus 3/16" is a great scale to work in, nice size and easily divisible when scaling.

Cheers, Les

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Have been slowly carving away at DAS to create the stonework on the station building. To do this I applied a coat about 2mm thick on top of PVA glue. Used  wet fingers and a small chisel to smooth it out.

Once it was dry I sanded the surface of the DAS so that it was fairly flat. Then applied more DAS into any gaps, sinks, cracks, and sanded flat again when dry.

Window openings were beveled using a small file.

Carving so far has been done with an assortment of instruments, small chisels with blunted tips, blunted exacto blades and divider points. Residue is dusted away with an old tooth brush.

A couple of pictures below to show how far I've got so far.

The windows and doors just sitting there after I'd filed the window openings to fit.

Still heaps to do.

post-24685-0-07234300-1459578479_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-32024200-1459578487_thumb.jpg

As a small aside for those interested, a couple of pics of a NZR station shelter and store in S scale. Construction is plastic sheet and strip, and the roof iron is thick-ish tin foil from an oven pan.

post-24685-0-92994900-1459578495_thumb.jpg

post-24685-0-35722400-1459578504_thumb.jpg

Cheers, Les

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just to show that I have been paying attention I notice you have painted the corrugated hut.

That is also some mighty impressive stone carving above too.