Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol JNA and IOA in N

Revolution Ben

This makes me a little happy, we've only had a short* wait but luckily it looks like the end product is worth it... I'm guessing these are going to fly off the shelves when they arrive, I'm certainly going to buy a rake on the spot!

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

got my JNA's today very good models they are that is when i eventually got them out of the box

one small thing no short shank buckeyes included in the extras bag as i normally use one of each on most of my stock

John

I've been waiting absolutely ages for these to be released, nice to see them materialising now. 

The review samples in magazines do look much less plasticy than the 4mm ones and the printing looks top notch and a definite step up from previous Dapol releases.

Looking at the real things, the underframe equipment on the JNA does look to be a bit of a disappointment though, being rather chunky and overscale, perhaps more noticable given the rest of the wagon looks pretty fine. I understand that there are material tolerances etc to take account of, but the brake distributor inparticular looks huge. I'll take a proper look when I get hold of some, but in review and retailer photos it appears to almost touch the railhead.

I can't wait to get a few to mix in with my MOAs etc and see how they scrub up once weathered.

jo

• 2 months later...

I bought 25 of each. Not an inconsiderable outlay. I think they look the part but;

1. They won't stay on the track

2.  They love to uncouple.

Forgive me for being fussy but rather basic requirements I would have thought. When will Dapol (and Farish/Bachmann to a degree) start giving more care and attention to simple quality control?

That reminds me I need to test run my rake of IOAs to see how they perform. I was a little concerned with the state of the wagons out of the box, out of 21 about half of them had wheelsets loose in the box.

@Bruce1959, which couplers are you using with your IOAs? I've switched mine to the Dapol dummy knuckles, so if uncoupling is a problem with Rapidos, then it will probably be exaggerated for me.

I did find one where the coupler mechanism wasn't seated correctly, so the coupler was angled upwards and it wouldn't swing from side to side properly, others appeared to be OK though. Hope you get them sorted.

Cheers, Mark.

• RMweb Gold

I had derailments nad uncoupling with my ten JNA's.

On the underside of the JNA's there is a black piece of equipment. On some wagons of them they are a touch low and fouls on the turnouts. A quick file of these has reduced the derailments cosiderably. I did have alook at number of the real ones whilst sitting between New Cross Gate and London Bridge recently but these items appear ot be missing on the protoypes so whether htye have sinceb een modified or are a different batch I am not too sure.

The close coupling mechaism is patchy in operation although they have loosened up with use.

The coupling height is poor especially when I installed the fixed knuckly copluers but a little canopy glue to hold them in place and a check to makes sure they were all the same height has drastically reduced this issue but I think that one or two are still a little out as we had the occasional uncoupling on Banbury at Trainwest.

We shouldnt have to make all these tweeks but it doenst take too long to do and is easier than taking them back to only find that the replacements do the same.

I have had the same problems with my rake and currently it is sitting on the naughty siding... Not entirely sure what to do with as under inspection circa 50% of the couplers are not at the right height so I'll have to give them all a thorough check to find out what has put them out of line before I come up with a plan.

I had derailments nad uncoupling with my ten JNA's.

On the underside of the JNA's there is a black piece of equipment. On some wagons of them they are a touch low and fouls on the turnouts. A quick file of these has reduced the derailments cosiderably. I did have alook at number of the real ones whilst sitting between New Cross Gate and London Bridge recently but these items appear ot be missing on the protoypes so whether htye have sinceb een modified or are a different batch I am not too sure.

The piece of kit modelled in black by Dapol is the distributor. It's not black on the real things, it's a silver grey colour under all the dirt. Whilst at a glance the wagon looks nice, the under frame I'd say is only passable. The distributor in particular is poor, with a 2mm piece lowering it from the under frame that isn't present on the real thing, as well as not looking much like the real thing. There is a piece hanging down off this, which further lowers it towards the track. When I get around to doing them, I'll do a fuller post and work out how to make it look a bit better.

In the mean time, here's what it looks like on the real wagons, along with the brake release cord, distributor isolating cock and goods/pass changeover lever

post-6899-0-65734000-1429641895_thumb.jpg

jo

• RMweb Gold

Jo

Thanks for that close up. Yes it's very different to that on the model. I think that I will be getting the paint brush out to at least make it look a bit closer to the proto type. Perhaps an etch or lost wax casting would do tbevtrick

No problem, I've spent quite a bit of time working with Falcons lately so I was keen to get some and that area jumped out at me straight away! I'm not 100% how to adjust it, thinking perhaps to remove the block above it, file down the excessive part hanging down and perhaps add some extra detail with plastic strip. I may rebuild the ICD and goods/pass levers to give a finer appearance, along with adding the brake release cord. It's difficult to tell, but I don't think the brake rigging is right either. I know we're only talking N scale here, but I'd like to try to get it right. Once weathered the multitude of yellow shades should all be blended together! It's a strange mix, because above solebar it's a really nice model, but underneath is a bit so-so

jo

Hi Mark(Vonzack)

I am using the standard Dapol supplied couplers. I haven't tried the knuckle couplers yet. The JNA wagons are more of a problem than the IOA ones. Roundhouse has definitely picked up on a potential issue which could exacerbate the problem so thank you Roundhouse.

Good luck to all of you. Shame we have to put up with these issues.  

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dredge this topic back up, but thought this worth mentioning. Picked up 3 JNAs yesterday from my local and found some flash around the buffers I cleaned up when weathering. Had problems with one derailing - a look underneath showed quite a substantial chunk of flash on the bogie! Sliced off carefully and problem solved. Not immediately obvious due to the black plastic colour, so worth looking for if your having issues with these wagons.

Archived