New range of Thomas the Tank Engine in 2015

Coldgunner

I'll stick with the Bachmann American imports. Far superior IMHO.

It would depend which loco. Bill, Ben, Toby and Edward are certainly better, but Thomas, Duck, Gordon were all based on actual prototypes for which Hornby are much more closer and far better.

It is shame the 2 ranges cannot compete in the same countries as they are quite complementary.

If only Heljan/Hattons would do BoCo because I am sure if Bachmann US did it, the proportions would be miles out.

• RMweb Premium

Another thought from the comments re DC/DCC. Digital offers lots of extra play potential so any new Thomas range really should be DCC Ready in this day and age. How many parents will be able to hard wire a decoder for their kids, especially if they're not modellers?

Percy: "Hello Thomas. We haven't seen you around here for a long while. Where've you been?"

Thomas: "Hello Percy. I've been away having a career break."

Percy: " A career break? .....I had a career break once. My brakes failed and I careered of the rails." 

"Anyway, you can't just come back and waltz into your old job" He puffed haughtily. "We've all had to reapply for our ours.

The Fat Controller will want to see your CV"

Thomas: "Well, if he wants to see my CV, he'll need DecoderPro."

Percy; " DecoderPro? Smoke and ashes, what are you talking about Thomas?"

Thomas: "If he wants to see my CV he'll need DecoderPro ......to read my Chip"

Percy: "Chip? ....What's Chips got to do with anything? .....You must have had too much Sun on your Dome"

Thomas: "The Chip inside me. I've had it put in; I'm all digital now and an even more useful little Engine"

Percy: "By the look of your Boiler, you look like you've had more than a few Chips. You need to get back to work and get fit again."

.....Percy skulled off, looking more than a bit befuddled by what Thomas had been saying. 

" If the Fat Controller hears him talking like that, he'll get his Chips alright", he mumbled, as he spluttered and jerked over the points.........

.....and fell off due to wheelbase measurements being 0.00087 out....?

• RMweb Premium

Finally it's clear the announcement is coming. Well I hope all those who have been moaning (the Hornby bashers who love to express their hatred towards Hornby) about this particular subject are at ease now..... I am sure you'll still get people who love to throw about remarks still.I'd just like to say thanks to Hornby for not dropping the range fully and I hope we are in store for some more now.

Definitely NOT!! As manufacturers of model trains both Bachmann and Hornby have both their high points and low points. Bachmann is certanly not the best at everything and people should stop idolizing Bachmann so much so that when Bachmann does make mistakes it's just discussed in hushed tones. Whereas with Hornby people try to bring up any fault in any topic (most recent being Exeter which is brought up in so many topics uselessly.)

Had to disagree with this. After going on about Hornby bashers we clearly have a fan with rose tinted glasses here. The Hornby range is comprised of superannuated models from the main range, and these took years to appear. I think the 3f (James) and diesel both date from the 50s . Gordon is the old Flying Scotsman with a Schools tender, Henry the old Black 5 and Edward a Hunt with cylinders missing . Thomas is of course the old LBSCR tank , leaving only Toby and Percy as specially commissioned models. If Hornby used this as a low cost entry point for youngsters then they might move onto buying main range items and attract people to the hobby. But instead they charge top dollar for the models. Who in their right mind would buy a Gordon at £114 .i bet that kills potential extensions to the trainset dead. Another Hornby rip off I'm afraid

Contrast that with Bachmann who model a complete range of specially commissioned models with Rolling eyes. They seem to capture the essence of Rev Audrey's models much better and at much lower cost. I know the model shop in Paisley used to sell them and he was inundated with orders. It's what could have been, but in the UK it's under the dead hand of Hornby! That's even assuming they can make and supply in big numbers.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Had to disagree with this. After going on about Hornby bashers we clearly have a fan with rose tinted glasses here. The Hornby range is comprised of superannuated models from the main range, and these took years to appear. I think the 3f (James) and diesel both date from the 50s . Gordon is the old Flying Scotsman with a Schools tender, Henry the old Black 5 and Edward a Hunt with cylinders missing . Thomas is of course the old LBSCR tank , leaving only Toby and Percy as specially commissioned models. If Hornby used this as a low cost entry point for youngsters then they might move onto buying main range items and attract people to the hobby. But instead they charge top dollar for the models. Who in their right mind would buy a Gordon at £114 .i bet that kills potential extensions to the trainset dead. Another Hornby rip off I'm afraid

Contrast that with Bachmann who model a complete range of specially commissioned models with Rolling eyes. They seem to capture the essence of Rev Audrey's models much better and at much lower cost. I know the model shop in Paisley used to sell them and he was inundated with orders. It's what could have been, but in the UK it's under the dead hand of Hornby! That's even assuming they can make and supply in big numbers.

How do you know what Hornbys new Thomas range will be? They could be entirely new models for all you know. The old range was well past it I agree, but the most of them were based on real life prototypes as were Rev Awdrys original models. The Bachmann ones are based directly in the tv series. Let's wait and see shal we?

• RMweb Premium

How do you know what Hornbys new Thomas range will be? They could be entirely new models for all you know. The old range was well past it I agree, but the most of them were based on real life prototypes as were Rev Awdrys original models. The Bachmann ones are based directly in the tv series. Let's wait and see shal we?

I'm willing to place a bet it'll be the old range reintroduced .

How do you know what Hornbys new Thomas range will be? They could be entirely new models for all you know. 

I'm willing to place a bet it'll be the old range reintroduced .

It's hard to imagine Hornby is tooling up at least a half dozen entirely new models for the Thomas range.

Of course we won't 'know' for sure for some time yet. 

My money's firmly on thomas in LBSC livery. James in black livery, there's a new film coming out, 'the adventure begins'. Google it and watch the trailer on you tube. It shows james in black as per the railway series books and thomas arriving on sodor in green/blue LBSC colours

• Like 1

Finally it's clear the announcement is coming. Well I hope all those who have been moaning (the Hornby bashers who love to express their hatred towards Hornby) about this particular subject are at ease now..... I am sure you'll still get people who love to throw about remarks still.

I'd just like to say thanks to Hornby for not dropping the range fully and I hope we are in store for some more now.

Definitely NOT!! As manufacturers of model trains both Bachmann and Hornby have both their high points and low points. Bachmann is certanly not the best at everything and people should stop idolizing Bachmann so much so that when Bachmann does make mistakes it's just discussed in hushed tones. Whereas with Hornby people try to bring up any fault in any topic (most recent being Exeter which is brought up in so many topics uselessly.)

But harsh saying defiantly not. The Bachmann range is true to Britt allcrofts models and they are superb runners, better than the rehashed and rubbish traction tyre stuff Hornby used to throw at us.

But harsh saying defiantly not. The Bachmann range is true to Britt allcrofts models and they are superb runners, better than the rehashed and rubbish traction tyre stuff Hornby used to throw at us.

The fact that you forget the difference in age between Bachmann's and Hornby's range and their financial situations in the past shows that you don't know what to compare and when to compare. Please go ahead and drop off a truck full of money off at the Margate HQ and I can assure you that Hornby can do a better job than Bachmann in terms of accuracy and quality.

Bachmann's range is new and obviously superior in all ways because the had everything at their disposal. Hornby's range is so old that it came from an era when everything was moulded and people bought it in hoards.

The TTTE range from Hornby is aimed at children who aren't rivet-counters like you. Running quality has ben improved alot by Hornby who just used what they had at their disposal to whip up a quick range for kids not rivet-counters.

As I said, you'll still find Hornby bashers trying to push into everything to have a say in something or the other.

Cheers!

Jeff.

PS: I obviously still think the Bachmann range for TTTE models is better, so I have no idea why you quoted a post of mine relating to both companies in general. I never singled out the TTTE range at all. And as for the Hornby bashers - that comment was also just an observation which is clearly noticed on RMweb.

• RMweb Premium

Fair enough AJA . You must know what sells.

Your right about what and when to compare. I can't remember when Thomas first appeared in Hornby catalogue , would it have been 85 or 86. Certainly around that time they had very little Money to invest. So using LBSCR tank and various other bits of the range would have been expedient at the time and was obviously successful. But the point I'd make is they were happy to persist with these old models . When times were good, and Hornby has done well over the years, they persisted with this superannuated range where tooling must have been well if not fully written off. Yet they were selling Gordon at the price of a large main range loco. Other than their Thomas and Percy sets , you can tell us, was there a huge demand for the Gordon's/Henry's of this world

I couldn't remember the name of the model shop that sold Bachmann TTTE yesterday, but it has since come to me, Trains on Time. He recognised that Bachmann ,, who I think have the rights in the rest of the world had invested in the range. Possibly it's a bigger market allowing them to invest , but they did it. As a result their range to my eyes looks better than Hornbys and is more faithful to the Brit Allcroft series, which people will remember and even the original books. There was much more value for money meaning that sets could be extended easily and less costly.

Does it matter? Well my point is that if Bachmann had the rights here then it might have attracted more people into the hobby . Instead we have had Hornby , which up to now has had limited investment , milked their tooling for all it's worth and sold models at high prices. Really give the impression of trying to make a quick buck with what they have and once again relying on the Hornby brand name.

Probably expressed clumsily, but that's what I mean by the dead hand of Hornby. In other words wouldn't you have sold more and possibly enlarged your customer base if there was a better , and more pocket money, parent cash friendly range of TTTE models?

Of course Hornby could have developed a new range, but I think it'll be more of the same tired old models at over hyped prices. Let's see

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trains on Time. He recognised that Bachmann, who I think have the rights in the rest of the world had invested in the range.

A few questions - perhaps for the dealers out there -

Is the Bachmann Thomas range available from Barwell or not?

As Hornby are said to have the rights for the UK, does it mean that UK dealers have to import from USA?

Is that direct from Bachmann USA or through a wholesaler or retailer (perhaps in Europe)?

What do Hornby make of all this - can they take any action against a Hornby dealer who stocks the USA range?

• RMweb Premium

A few questions - perhaps for the dealers out there -Is the Bachmann Thomas range available from Barwell or not?As Hornby are said to have the rights for the UK, does it mean that UK dealers have to import from USA?Is that direct from Bachmann USA or through a wholesaler or retailer (perhaps in Europe)?What do Hornby make of all this - can they take any action against a Hornby dealer who stocks the USA range?.

Not a dealer Mike, but I know the oo/Ho range was not available from Barwell ( as distinct from the larger o gauge sets). The shop I think brought them in from USA.

A few questions - perhaps for the dealers out there -

Is the Bachmann Thomas range available from Barwell or not?

As Hornby are said to have the rights for the UK, does it mean that UK dealers have to import from USA?

Is that direct from Bachmann USA or through a wholesaler or retailer (perhaps in Europe)?

What do Hornby make of all this - can they take any action against a Hornby dealer who stocks the USA range?

1. Definitely not, no OOH/HO TTTE (or service support for) is at Barwell.

2. Independent UK stockists have on occasion made 'grey' imports from overseas.

3. See 2.

4. Who knows and I very much doubt it.

• Like 1

Does it really matter that the Hornby toolings are (in some cases) 50 years old? A five year old (who the range is aimed at) won't know that and won't care (and of course you can't really sell separately fitted detail parts on models for young children anyway).

What matters more is how well they run (though many children will want to run them as fast as possible anyway), and more importantly, how affordable they are. 

Incidentally, I believe the Bachmann Thomas is based on Dalby's (incorrect) drawings, which were used to create the models for the TV series, and have the front footplate and buffers lower than the rear ones (hence no front coupling).

Hornby's model is based on the later Edwards drawings where Thomas is drawn correctly (the "excuse" for the change in Thomas's appearance came when he was sent to the Works for rebuilding after arriving uninvited at the Stationmaster's breakfast!).

So neither model is "wrong" as per the book pictures, but the Hornby one is correct to the prototype Awdry had in mind...

Edited by RJS1977

• RMweb Gold

Does it really matter that the Hornby toolings are (in some cases) 50 years old? 

It does if the tools are worn out, and that I suspect is the reason why the range has fizzled out over the past couple of years. Alternatively it may be the case that the licensors felt that the Hornby range as it stood was in many cases too far removed in appearance from the TV characters.

It does if the tools are worn out, and that I suspect is the reason why the range has fizzled out over the past couple of years. Alternatively it may be the case that the licensors felt that the Hornby range as it stood was in many cases too far removed in appearance from the TV characters.

I'd be surprised if all the tools were worn out, there must be significant differences in the numbers of some of the characters that have been produced from those tools. The tools for Thomas, Percy,  James and possibly Gordon must have had a lot more use than many of the others

• RMweb Premium

The price of Gordon the big blue engine is frankly absurd and indefensible I think. The ultimate arguments supporting this are in the Hornby range, their Railroad A1 and P2. How on earth can Hornby think that asking a lot more for Gordon than their very good Railroad A1 and P2 which are both recently tooled models which whilst compromised in terms of fine detail are both excellent representations of the prototype is appropriate? Or if we go the other way, spend an extra tenner on their web site and you can buy their concession exclusive Britannia which is a fabulous model.

However, this is moving to a wider Bachmann vs. Hornby debate. Prior to design clever my own feeling was that Hornby made a better product than Bachmann. At their best the models from pre-design clever from Hornby were outstanding and many of their releases from that era remain unsurpassed IMO. Then they lost Sanda Kan as a supplier and they tried design clever to control cost inflation and also probably to give less profficient suppliers more space to manufacture models in place of SK or Kader. At that point I think it is unquestionable that Hornby fell behind Bachmann. However the indications are that Hornby are on a bounce and their new tooling seems to be returning to pre-design clever standards.

Ultimately it is a sterile argument really as the question is not so much one of Hornby vs. Bachmann but rather is the model you want from a particular manufacturer, and then if it is duplicated are you happy with one or other and is one cheaper, better etc.

I do think that there have been examples of double standards. For example when Hornby announced they were planning 3 pole motors they faced a back lash yet this has never been an issue for Bachmann who use 3 pole motors.

• Like 2

I do think that there have been examples of double standards. For example when Hornby announced they were planning 3 pole motors they faced a back lash yet this has never been an issue for Bachmann who use 3 pole motors.

I must agree on this and there is however more instances also with regards to the same. BTW I just spoke to a Hornby rep on their forums in a bid to find out when the official announcement would be made, was told it would be made soon. So lets see.... I am not hoping for a full revamped range but rather minor upgrades or re-tools of just a few at a time.

• RMweb Premium

To launch the new 2015 Thomas the Tank Engine range, Hornby is pleased to announce a special limited edition box set titled,

"THE EIGHT FAMOUS ENGINES"

Each box set will feature one each of the following locomotives, as they appear on the cover of the Reverend Awdry's Railway Series book No. 12:

1 Thomas

2 Edward

3 Henry

4 Gordon

5 James

6 Percy

7 Toby

8 Duck

The models have been designed with young children in mind, so have no small parts, just a single moulded body. And because boys like fast toys the motors are geared to outpace our Eurostar model trains. As such they are only suitable for Hornby 4th radius curves or greater.

The set also includes a reproduction copy of the original 1957 version of the book, individually signed by Rvd Awdry's son Christopher.

The set is limited to 250 pieces as that's all our factories can produce in one go and is priced at £2500.

Available from the Hornby website from 01/04/2015. Pre-order now to avoid disappointment.