New range of Thomas the Tank Engine in 2015

Coldgunner

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone looked at the poster in the original post recently? ;)

It features the TV style characters and says a 'new' range.

Hornby obviously have the license and in doing so commit to producing something the holder will approve. They aren't starting now, as we know it takes 12-18 months minimum, so they are bound to be past EP stage and probably final paint approval ready for production.

They will probably turn up either around the birthday or in the run up to Christmas, the poster is a teaser to create demand.

On this threads basis it's working like a charm ;)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The biggest market though today stems from the TV series so it's more likely to follow that. I agree the Hornby range was good at first but some of the later ones had too many compromises. Kids don't tend to notice, if it's blue it's Thomas!

Well the 70th Anniversary reprint of Three Railway Engines is published on 2nd April so I guess more announcements will be around then.

• RMweb Premium

Yes people who have memories of the 1980s TV series often don't know that the Railway Series did start back in 1945, 70 years ago! This must mean as the Rev Awdry initially wrote them for his sick son , his son must be at least 72/73!!!!! I think he went on and wrote some books after his father stopped in the 70s. And as others have commented above there were various illustrators , some of whom the Rev Awdry didn't agree with in their representations.

As a child of the 60s I grew up with these books. The initial small hardbacks were priced 6/- (30p). The softbound versions appeared in late 60s at 3/- and "The Three Railway Engines" was the first of the books I had. To me they were beautifully illustrated ,and increased my vocabulary .Even now my vision of post war Britain in the 50s and early 60s is coloured by these books. I still think some of the rolling countryside in Peco Backscenes  is very similar to the scenery in the books! A simpler time perhaps. I'm sure its rose coloured spectacles and things are better now!

I still think the Hornby TTTE will be their rehashed existing range, but you never know this delay may mean they are developing something new.

• Like 1

After seeing the Admin's reply on the Hornby Forums, I've got no hope that anything will be announced on 28th or 29th..... I fail to see why they keep saying announcements are due soon but soon isn't soon is it? Since August last year Hornby reps have told me that a TTTE announcement was due very soon as the range was being reviewed. I'm waiting for very soon to come. 

• Like 1

In all honesty, I like the tooling Hornby use, keeping to the original prototypes (except Edward). I just hope they are re-engineering them for loco drive.

I can confrim that Thomas,Percy and Duck will all be loco drive....

After seeing the Admin's reply on the Hornby Forums, I've got no hope that anything will be announced on 28th or 29th..... I fail to see why they keep saying announcements are due soon but soon isn't soon is it? Since August last year Hornby reps have told me that a TTTE announcement was due very soon as the range was being reviewed. I'm waiting for very soon to come. 

Since it's taking this long for Hornby to announce anything, coupled with the fact that Bachmann are upping their already more attractive game for this year, Hornby definitely need to have some surprises in store when it comes to their Thomas range. (If not, then prepare for a 5-trillion-word vituperative monograph from me)

i had a mother come in today asking when there would be some Thomas items as her son's birthday is coming up and she wants to get him a Thomas train set for it. Hornby are missing out on a gold mine here. we have Thomas items in (gordon, wagons, wagon packs, coaches) but no sets. it's frustrating for the customer and also for me the retailer as im losing out on potential sales and they have disappointed children and im guessing overall discourages the younger generation from going into the railway hobby. 

i had a mother come in today asking when there would be some Thomas items as her son's birthday is coming up and she wants to get him a Thomas train set for it. Hornby are missing out on a gold mine here. we have Thomas items in (gordon, wagons, wagon packs, coaches) but no sets. it's frustrating for the customer and also for me the retailer as im losing out on potential sales and they have disappointed children and im guessing overall discourages the younger generation from going into the railway hobby. 

This is very true. Hornby need to give people some idea on when anything is going to be announced. "soon" could be years away for all we know! Another thing Hornby will have to watch out for is the possibility of parents giving up on Hornby and investing in the Bachmann Thomas range which, although not officially sold in the UK, is often cheaper than the Hornby Thomas range on import sites. If a kid is introduced to model trains via the Bachmann Thomas range instead of the Hornby one, then chances are that he or she will stick with Bachmann if they want to pursue a hobby in model railways.

• 1 month later...

Different? Looks like the same old c**p. They even have the gall to show some stills from the animated show that do nothing but highlight the 'inaccuracies'...

By different I meant that finally we are not guessing  :nono:

Wow what a load of bull. If this is the new Thomas then I am deeply disappointed.

"Contents May Vary From The Images Show"

I wish that was the case.... :D

A pity really. I at the moment have no hopes of a "NEW" range. If they do plan on having a new range I don't think they should have put an image of older tooling alongside screengrabs.

Whilst I have no issue with which tooling they use (i.e. old or the rumoured new), my main issue is that it just seems like they wasted time in making people hope for something new and they may turn out old stuff. If it was time consuming in the lisence process or something then Hornby should have said that.

Alot of people will be hoping for brand new stuff and they may be disappointed. That worries me. Would not want Hornby's reputation to fall again. 

Maybe the "Mistake" is the picture of the old tooling?  :D  We can only dream.

I did spot this stockart that the Hornby Thomas page was using:

trainborder.jpg

I made a note about this on Sodor Island Forums yesterday. It's not identical to how Thomas looks in the show- the proportions are slightly different, and Thomas has a straight footplate as opposed to the curved one from the show. So my (almost certainly incorrect) theory is that this could indeed be a silhouette of the "new" tooling. The "off" proportions and the footplate imply that this wasn't supplied to Hornby by HiT/Mattel and that Hornby may have made the picture themselves. If that is the case, then if nothing else it signifies that Hornby are aware that the old Thomas tooling isn't a dead ringer for how he looks in the TV series. 

I shall not emit my promised monograph until we get an official announcement (or equally reliable evidence of the range's future), but I will say that if the Hornby Thomas range will see no aesthetic changes, then I can't see the range surviving. Especially not with Thomas at £60. 

• Like 1

Whilst I have no issue with which tooling they use (i.e. old or the rumoured new), ...

Who is rumouring anything new?

Hornby never said that they would produce all new tooling. It's possible of course, but there is nothing to indicate that this will be the case.

People are making stuff up.

At a meeting with a sales rep last week, I was told that there is no confirmed date for the announcement nor whether the tooling is new or old - the details are being kept very hush-hush.

That link above may well have been a test page; I notice they've revamped the description, which be part of new marketing guidelines for the range?

Time will tell as to what we get in this new range...

• Like 1