Errrrrr the Crabs were built at Horwich and Crewe, none at Derby...............the builder's plate was attached to the side of the smokebox.  Wikipedia has a photo showing its position.

Steve

Ah yes, it is a Crew plate. My mistake  :P

I've looked at the Wiki page too and I see where the plates were fitted. I doubt that these were still fitted in the 1960s though, as all images I've seen of the Crabs of that era don't feature them.

Edited by Newtz1981

I've weathered 48773 and she is starting to look amazing! Referring to photographs of the loco when she was at Rose Grove, she was kept in fairly good condition - still work stained however the black paint was kept looking fairly good and there was no rust or lime scale to be seen, or massive build up of soot and oil. The photos below show the weathering so far after I had finished with the airbrush. I'll add in more detail to the wheels and rods later.

post-17317-0-75865400-1435018392.jpg

post-17317-0-36698500-1435018423.jpg

post-17317-0-17399900-1435018459.jpg

post-17317-0-98361800-1435018480.jpg

My model of 48773 will not receive the yellow cab side stripe either. This is just a personal choice as I prefer the loco without it.

By way of comparison, here are some shots of the loco next to the 4F.

post-17317-0-49939900-1435018518.jpg

post-17317-0-78892400-1435018533.jpg

• Like 8

Looking good, what a difference even a light weathering makes to the model great work, it can only get even better with a bit of the weathering washes.

Nice photos too.

Thank you Chris.

Here are some photos of 48773 while she was at Rose Grove.

post-17317-0-18586600-1435033937_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-44620100-1435033948.jpg

post-17317-0-37690000-1435033976_thumb.jpg

This last photo shows where I can add some extra detail such as light rust, etc.

I've always had a massive love for 8F's and 48773 in particular. I don't know why I love this locomotive so much. Maybe it is also because I have driven her on the Severn Valley Railway back in 2002. Either way, she's a wonderful machine and I just had to have a model of her.

• Like 5

Adding more weathering detail to 48773, this time I have started to use Dark Earth weathering power on the frames and brake blocks of the loco and tender. I have also given the con rods and tender axle boxes some oil spillage/stains too. So far only the fireman's side has been weathered. I'll get to the driver's side soon.

post-17317-0-22176400-1435042376.jpg

post-17317-0-87703000-1435042387.jpg

post-17317-0-72015300-1435042396.jpg

post-17317-0-86332100-1435042405.jpg

I've noticed that I need to add the yellow star onto the cab side as well as the power classification too. I should have done this before I weathered the loco, however I'm sure I can get around that.

• Like 7

attachicon.gif48773 on shed fire irons.jpg

This last photo shows where I can add some extra detail such as light rust, etc.

I've always had a massive love for 8F's and 48773 in particular. I don't know why I love this locomotive so much. Maybe it is also because I have driven her on the Severn Valley Railway back in 2002. Either way, she's a wonderful machine and I just had to have a model of her.

I assume that you know about The Stanier 8F Locomotive Society who own 48773?  I'm a member and keep up to date with the engine, the magazine usually has useful photos.

Just for the sake of historical accuracy / to be 'picky' - this last shot isn't actually Rose Grove but is, I suspect, Bolton.  However a useful shot of its condition just before transfer to 10F.

Nice work.

Steve

I assume that you know about The Stanier 8F Locomotive Society who own 48773?  I'm a member and keep up to date with the engine, the magazine usually has useful photos.

Just for the sake of historical accuracy / to be 'picky' - this last shot isn't actually Rose Grove but is, I suspect, Bolton.  However a useful shot of its condition just before transfer to 10F.

Nice work.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Yes I noticed that the last shot wasn't Rose Grove after I had put the post up. No matter though as, indeed you agree, it does show a lot of detail.

Thank you for following my progress on Newton Grove. I'll have to consider joining the society one day too.

Regards,

Newtz

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

I am very much enjoying your postings as I am always impressed with subtle and realistic weathering such as this, Newtz - a 'place' I never go because I have no model railway of my own, I am just a builder and, on the odd occasions that I am offered running powers, it is usually on a garden railway so it's all rather make believe anyway.  The thing that strikes me though is that we all 'see' different things.  Your image here:

is really about the weathering whereas I cannot help but see the relatively primitive motion of a Finescale Brass model.  You may have seen how I reworked this offering (on RMWeb but collated here: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm) to look something more like - but no more realistic as it is without the weathering!

ValveGear8105a-s.jpg

Perhaps both approaches are equally pleasing to their owners ... or should I be learning your skills?  Here is another photo, a scratch-built exhaust steam injector below the fireman's side of the cab; I bet you'd love to get in there with the greasy gloss and weathering powders!

ExhaustSteamInjectorPainted-s.jpg

David

I am very much enjoying your postings as I am always impressed with subtle and realistic weathering such as this, Newtz - a 'place' I never go because I have no model railway of my own, I am just a builder and, on the odd occasions that I am offered running powers, it is usually on a garden railway so it's all rather make believe anyway.  The thing that strikes me though is that we all 'see' different things.  Your image here:

is really about the weathering whereas I cannot help but see the relatively primitive motion of a Finescale Brass model.  You may have seen how I reworked this offering (on RMWeb but collated here: www.davidlosmith.co.uk/LMS_8F.htm) to look something more like - but no more realistic as it is without the weathering!

ValveGear8105a-s.jpg

Perhaps both approaches are equally pleasing to their owners ... or should I be learning your skills?  Here is another photo, a scratch-built exhaust steam injector below the fireman's side of the cab; I bet you'd love to get in there with the greasy gloss and weathering powders!

ExhaustSteamInjectorPainted-s.jpg

David

Hello David,

Your photos look fantastic and I only wish that I had the skills to be able to achieve what you have done here. I have always wished that Fine Scall Brass had gone to more detail on the motion gear, however it is what it is. I also love the exhaust steam injector you have built - again this is far from my abilities and I wish that these were available for purchase from somewhere.

I've found that weathering really does make all the difference. It takes away the 'toy train' look instantly and makes the model look more like a real locomotive. Being subtle though is what it is all about when it comes to weathering. I start by adding very very light weathering and slowly build it up to the look I'm wanting to achieve. I have discovered that the Humbrol powders (as good as they are) are not easy to remove if you put too much on. Therefore I just take my time and build it up slowly.

Thank you for your compliments and I look forward to hearing from you again, and also having you follow my progress further.

Regards,

Newtz

I've added the power classification and the start to 48773. I've also finished (finally) the lining on 45562 Alberta. I'll get around to weathering the Jubilee in coming months.

post-17317-0-25740600-1435146474.jpg

I keep looking at that vacant area under the cab now (Thanks David) and thinking that I really should get injector piping, etc there. David (AKA -

Isambarduk), if you are reading - what would it take for you to make some for me for my 8F, Black 5's (x2) and Jubilee?  :) Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 5

Guest Isambarduk

"what would it take for you to make some for me for my 8F, Black 5's (x2) and Jubilee? "

Well, Newtz, that's a lot of work! I am not in a position to contemplate it as I am currently packing up my workshop to move house and setting it up again won't be the first job that I do but, much more realistically, castings from Laurie Griffin would be the most cost-effective way to go.  Looking on his website www.lgminiatures.co.uk and downloading a Castings Catalogue, page 17, there appears to be only one entry for GWR injectors now (No. 15-28) but I am almost sure that the exhaust steam injector was available as a separate lost wax casting, about £7 I seem to remember.  It might be worth an email info@lgminiatures.co.uk to ask him if they are still available

David

I purchased some MDF smokebox door number plates which arrived yesterday. The below photo shows them assembled.

post-17317-0-32851900-1435225602_thumb.jpg

Time to glue, prime, paint and gloss. Then these babies will adorn the walls around Newton Grove 19F.

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 7

Guest Isambarduk

"I also love the exhaust steam injector you have built ..."

Thank you, Newtz :-)   I am sure that a proprietary casting would be just as effective and far quicker but I like doing these things.  Here is the exhaust steam injector and the damper controls below the fireman's side on my Finescale Brass Jubilee (5663, Jervis):

5663JervisExhaustSteamInjector.jpg

David

"I also love the exhaust steam injector you have built ..."

Thank you, Newtz :-)   I am sure that a proprietary casting would be just as effective and far quicker but I like doing these things.  Here is the exhaust steam injector and the damper controls below the fireman's side on my Finescale Brass Jubilee (5663, Jervis):

5663JervisExhaustSteamInjector.jpg

David

STUNNING!!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Newtz ..... this is STUNNING my Friend what a picture.... that oiling and grease is fantastic, top modelling there  :imsohappy:

Thank you Muddys-Blues. I really appreciate that wonderful feedback. I'm just taking my time and applying what I know. I work on preserved steam myself and so I'm familiar with where oil ends up on a loco. I'm trying to make it subtle but effective, so hopefully that's what I'm achieving here.

Thank you again  :)

Transfer set for the Crab 2-6-0 arrived from Fox Transfers yesterday and I'm wasting no time in applying them to the locomotive. Here is the driver's side after working on it this morning. I'll add the cylinder lining and running board trim last, after I've done the fireman's side cab and tender.

post-17317-0-71134700-1436218124.jpg

post-17317-0-98670900-1436218135.jpg

post-17317-0-82098600-1436218146.jpg

post-17317-0-87194700-1436218156.jpg

Although this set of transfers is great I found that I had to shorten the transfer for the tender. Looking at archival photos reveled the length along the tender that the lining should be, so I had to remove about 10mm from the middle of the set.

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 4

I've started to research 44871 and how she looked in the 1960s, before she hauled part of the 15 Guinea Special on 11th August 1968. I know that at the very end of steam she had been painted in overall black, however a while before then she still had some form of lining.

I've found some photos of her (ironically at Rose Grove) when she hauled an SLS Special with sister Black 5 44894 which are featured below:

post-17317-0-91827400-1436233391_thumb.jpg

post-17317-0-11688200-1436233401.jpg

And here is a shot of 44894, however you can see part of the tender of 44871

post-17317-0-58213300-1436233438_thumb.jpg

So clearly the locomotive did not have any lining on its tender in the 1960s, however the former images will show cabside lining and lining under the running board. What is not completely clear is if there was lining on the cylinders - however I don't think there is. Clearly the boiler is not lined too. So this is how I shall be presenting the loco eventually, with no lining on the cylinders or boiler.

I'm finding it rather fun to model a loco depending on how it looked at a certain time. It would be easy to line the entire loco and then make it grubby such as most were towards the end of steam, however if there are photos of the loco that are around the period being modeled then I'm more inclined to copy what I see. This will make the model more unique and interesting too.

So now, to order some Black 5 lining from fox transfers...

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 2

I've had a philosophic thought and I wanted to share it with you all.

Goals and dreams. We all have them and we all set them, however not all of us achieve them. Why? Lack of persistence, motivation, belief, etc.

HOWEVER - let us put it in a way that we can really understand  :)

Model Railways

The aim is to build a layout. It could be to make it as realistic as possible or maybe just something to watch the trains go by. Either way we start with an idea, a vision. It takes time to realise that vision though. You need to work for the money to purchase the models and all the materials you require. You need to learn new skills and improve the skills you have. Face your fear and try things you thought were impossible for you - such as painting, lining, super detailing, weathering etc.

Time goes by and the base boards are built, but not before the track plan has been devised and decided upon. Building starts. Track slowly goes down, then the ballast and soon enough the track is wired together and test trains are running. Then you slowly add the scenery, building it up slowly as you go so that it looks as good as it can. Weathering a loco is the same, slowly does it - taking time to see its just the way you want it to be.

Each day you work on the models, you wish that it could be finished sooner so you can operate the finished railway. However each day you have taken a step closer to that by doing that little extra detailing, adding that lining or starting the weathering.

Soon enough, you add the finishing touches and the layout is finished. Your model railway is now complete and you can enjoy many hours, day and years of fun with your creation. A creation that started from nothing, but a desire to have a model railway of your chosen ideal.

You know what? Setting a goal for life, is EXACTLY like building a model railway.

We start with nothing but an idea. Day by day we add a little bit more and a little bit more. We keep going, even though the end result seems miles away. Finally it is finished and we enjoy the fruits of our work.

Let us all take what we do when it comes to modelling and apply it to all goals and dreams in our lives.  :)

As I said, I just wanted to share this insight I've had today with you all.

Edited by Newtz1981
  • Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

Thank you for your philosophic thought.

" Finally it is finished and we enjoy the fruits of our work."

From your photo, Newtz, I am sure that I have many more years on you so I hope that I shall not be disillusioning you when I say that i) it is never finished and ii) that if you do not enjoy the work whilst you are at it, then you are most unlikely to enjoy the fruits of it.  But this has just been my experience.

David

Interesting. I must confess that I subscribe to Horace's philosophy of "carpe diem" and have also followed the advice of Thomas Moore's mentor Desiderus Erasmus who said "Live as if you will die tomorrow, study as though you will forever." They have served me well.  I have dreams and aspirations and  a  rough idea of how I might achieve them, but I have never been one for setting detailed goals. Having served as a commissioned officer in the British Army I  appreciate Von Moltke the Elder's dictum "No plan survives first contact with the enemy"; a dictum that applies equally well to certain brands of locomotive kits methinks. This seemingly casual approach has not prevented me from having two successful careers allowing me to get off the full-time treadmill before I turned 55. I think you can see it in my approach to railway modelling too.

Still, this is all rather deep so back to the industrial loco shed on Cwm Bach and when that is finished I will build the enginemen's bothy and a coal stage, neither of which have been designed yet.