Updating older models. Mainline Mk1 Buffet/Restaurant.

5Bel

Hi All,

Looking for something to get my enthusiasm for modelling back, I chanced upon a Mainline Mk1 Buffet/Restuarant for £9 at the Spalding swapmeet. Those of us of a certain age will remember when this model came out it completely raised the bench mark for RTR coaches, (just checked, came out in 1981)!! Even the windows were good compared to other coaches around at the time. I decided to try and improve the coach a bit by flush glazing and changing the buffer heads. I had a Bachmann restaurant car that has been earmarked for conversion into a Bep buffet car so was interested to see if the glazing fitted the Mailine model.

post-7006-0-56739900-1421850582_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-32867300-1421850599_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-68453500-1421850610_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-78112300-1421850622_thumb.jpg

post-7006-0-71348900-1421850636_thumb.jpg

All that was required was to snip out the window vent mouldings and tidy up the window apertures. The Bachmann windows were from a maroon version so the vents were painted grey. The door droplights would not fit so I used Replica glazing from the spares box. The glazing was secured with canopy glue and the kitchen windows painted white. Bufferheads were replaced with brass items. Overall a quick, easy and effective conversion that has lifted my modelling Apathy and also lifted the model so it doesn't look out of place among more modern models. Now onto some Golden Arrow Pullmans from Hornby's latest offerings.

Cheers for now, Ian.

• Like 15

Grand. I also remember gazing longingly at the maroon one I had and amazing at the quality. Must be in a box still. They had a nice solid feel too.

I may be way out on a limb here but found the Triang-like construction of Bachmann's Mk1s, their roof ribs and bogies with brake blocks in line with frames a slight backward step when they emerged...

Look at the roof on the Mainline one that is a lovely job... for 1981.

cheers

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. There are a number of things on todays modern coaches that were done better in the past. Think of Kitmaster glazing in the 60's, wire filler pipes on Hornby Dublo Mk1's. The early Replica Mk1's had roof ribs the same as the Mainline buffet car, they are still good on their latest versions of the FO, SO and BCK. Once again thanks.

Cheers for now, Ian

I like the old Mainline Buffet car. I have often wondered whether the old Replica FO was originally going to be part of the Mainline  range but maybe taken over by Replica. What make of track are you using there? Is it C&L? it looks good.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. The Replica FO and BCK certainly look to be the same spec as the Buffet car but  they were entirely Replica products. The track is exactoscale bases with steel rail. The bases are now made by C&L and do look good but I think they are currently unavailable in 00. 

Cheers for now, Ian

• RMweb Premium

Are those buffers round headed?

If so they should be oval.

The Replica FO and BCK are very Mainline in appearance.

Got some flush glazing for the BCK to do some time

• RMweb Gold

Great work Ian......... so much so it reminded me of a love affair I had with this coach back in 2005 albeit one in green.

I decided to use MJT parts and individually cut acrylic sheet for the windows.

i wanted an earlier version with Mk1 Bogies but not sure whether its right as I think the earlier version either did or did`nt have a store cupboard somewhere. 

post-17779-0-84659900-1422104464_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-56113400-1422104495_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-57549800-1422104514_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone looked at putting these bodies on to modern Bachmann Chassis to get the close coupling mechanisms?

Phil

The shape of the Mainline under-floor area is such that the original Keen Systems CCU fits very easily (also applies to Replica BCK, FO, BG).

It doesn't self centre as standard but if you leave your coaches in rakes (or only remarshall them in the privacy of a fiddle yard), that's not really important.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

Does the Keen system have a NEM pocket and if so does it align with those on the Bachmann CCU? We have standardised on the Roco pattern Hornby close coupler and dont want to change them all!!!

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John

Does the Keen system have a NEM pocket and if so does it align with those on the Bachmann CCU? We have standardised on the Roco pattern Hornby close coupler and dont want to change them all!!!

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil,

The Keen unit has a pocket that does conform to the NEM spec but is open at the bottom, I just glue in a bit of Evergreen channel to close it up once I am satisfied with the fitting. What can cause problems is that, whilst Keen CCUs fit the NEM Standard, Bachmann's don't, they are too high and too short (and insufficiently rigid IMHO).

Mr Keen also produces resin replacement links for Bachmann coaches which remove the alignment problems. I am gradually fitting these to all my Mk1s to ensure interoperability with Hornby stock which generally conforms very well with the Standard.

You might be able to adapt the Keen unit to make it align with the Bachmann links but I haven't tried it. Another option, if you want to run the RB in a fixed rake, would just be to fit a Keen link to the near end of each adjacent coach. 

When the Bachmann Mk1s first came out, I and a friend went to a lot of trouble to improve the performance of the standard CCU link in conjunction (mainly) with Kadee NEM heads. We managed to greatly reduce the problems we encountered in running trains of more than six coaches but it was a laborious process.

The Keen links did more to improve matters in five minutes than we had been achieving with over an hour's work per coach, hence my regard for the product!

A look round www.keen-systems.com will provide more enlightenment than I can.

John

Edited to improve clarity!

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Gold

Thank you John

Will be having a chat with Mr Keen!

As I would ideally like to have a few RBRs and FOs and Mainline/Replica are the only current options and we don't run fixed rakes then I need a solution that will align with Bachmann's pockets - cant afford to replace CCUs on 60+ coaches !

Cheers

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! I have just bought two of these RBRs (one in Mainline's Blue/Grey livery, and one in Replica's InterCity Exec livery). I was wanting to flush glaze them the same as you have done - where did you get the spare glazing from? Did you have it lying around or is it available from Bachmann? I'm tempted to rub down the window frames as well, and repaint the grey band. 

Great job! I have just bought two of these RBRs (one in Mainline's Blue/Grey livery, and one in Replica's InterCity Exec livery). I was wanting to flush glaze them the same as you have done - where did you get the spare glazing from? Did you have it lying around or is it available from Bachmann? I'm tempted to rub down the window frames as well, and repaint the grey band.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments. The spare glazing came from some that Colin Parks kindly gave me, but there are plenty of cheap Bachmann MK1's out there for spares. I am not sure if Bachmann do the glazing as spares. Good luck with your two, be good to see them on here.

Cheers for now, Ian.

Haha I don't know where you're finding these cheap Bachmann Mk1s. Perhaps you would like to share!

I've taken delivery of my two RBRs now and I'm massively impressed. You can certainly see the family resemblance between this and it's grandson - Bachmann's current Mk1. I read in a few places the profiles don't match and I was getting worried, but saying they don't match is picking nits as far as I'm concerned.

I see that Southeastern Finecast have a glazing kit available for this coach which I might invest in. At £3 if it doesn't work it's hardly broken the bank!

Edited by sub39h

I think I'll have to get myself a couple of these coaches. I remember they were some of the best available when they originally came out and they still look just as good. The worst part is the moulded vac tank which I will have to remove and replace with some Southern Pride etches and seperate tanks.

A little time and paint on the interior may also be an idea.

• 1 month later...

Just before I bite the bullet and get some SE flush glazing, has anyone got photos of it fitted please? The attempts above are certainou excellent, but finding a cheap RU is not proving easy and I don't think I have it in me to cut custom ones neatly!

Hello 4sub

You ask so I will post these links again.

First a link to the Mainline RBR  showing the recessed windows and the raised edging. Second a Replica RBR to which the previous owner had fitted Finecast Flush Glazing.

Just before I bite the bullet and get some SE flush glazing, has anyone got photos of it fitted please? The attempts above are certainou excellent, but finding a cheap RU is not proving easy and I don't think I have it in me to cut custom ones neatly!

Regards

Ray