Oxfordrail Wagons

Neal Ball

How many people actually model the LBSC and all the other pre grouping companies prior to 1923 , is there anyway of judging the demand ? that is a major problem for r.t.r makers they cant just rely on wish lists  and forums for the actual demand and risk the costs of unsold models.

Best to make lots of Great Western locos then, as nothing much changed in 1923 to the casual observer. Anyone who isn't fussy won't be bothered about darker green paint, and will like the lining on classes that didn't have it later. The Indian Red frames will make them more colourful too. I'll have a 517 or two!!

• 10 months later...

They really have messed up with the Shirebrook wagon. There are lots of photos of these in all the PO books and they have simply gone along and produced a fictional version of the livery. No POs had empty to instructions on the top plank. As I said before it is like China were jut sent a set of POWsides transfers with no instructions.

The Facer also looks wrong with the Advise Repairs top center above the door opening, I suspect it is a rubbish livery too.

VERY dissapointed with Oxford Rail, the body is pretty OK with some nice details on the underframe but there are no excuses for silly livery errors.

Tony

I recently picked up the 14th and last volume of Keith Turton's PO wagon series, and was surprised to find that the odd John Facer livery with the 'Advise repairs' instructions on the top plank above the side door seems to be genuine. The photo shows their wagon no.505, a 7 plank built by Pickering,  and was presumably the reference photo used by Oxford. It's a posed ex-works photo, rather than a shot of a wagon in use, so whether wagons were actually used in traffic lettered like that is another question altogether...

The paint date on the wagon is also November 1900, so the livery clearly shouldn't be on an RCH 1923 wagon anyway...

The 'John Facer & Co of London' wagon which it seems is now out, is puzzling me. I can find John Facer & Sons of Luton, but no reference to '& Co' of London. Does anyone have any information about them please?

There are a couple of pages on John Facer and Co. in vol 14 of Turton, with 3 pics, and it seems that '& Sons of Luton' and '& Co. of London' may have been two halves of the same business- the book suggests that Facer expanded his interests into London in the early 1890s after buying out an existing London coal merchant. The Luton end of the business was covered back in Vol 1, although there are photos of both 'London' and 'Luton' wagons in the latest book.

Archived